Start by marking “Baynard's List (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #2)” as Want to Read:
Baynard's List (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #2)

Baynard's List

(Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  788 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
October 1262 should have been a quiet month, that melancholy time following the death of summer dedicated to the chores of readying Ludlow for the onset of winter and the hard months ahead.

But the game of spies is afoot. A valuable list identifying the secret supporters of both King Henry and his rival for power Simon de Montfort has disappeared following the murder of He
Published (first published June 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Baynard's List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baynard's List

Karen
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel-the-world
Although not quite as good as the The Wayward Apprentice (the first book in the series), this was a pretty good second. I was a little blindsided by the ending. I will continue to read the series.
Gregory
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to The Wayward Apprentice, and is a really fun read. The detailed and unsanitized look at the 13th century provides a cool backdrop to a well-plotted story.
Jayne dArcy
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a bit to get into the story but once I did it moved quickly.
Pamela
Set in Shropshire in the 13th Century, this novel follows the quest for a lost list of names. Deputy Coroner Stephen Attebrook is trying to find it, but he becomes aware that others are also trying to track it down and then things take a turn for the worse with a mysterious death.

This was a readable enough mystery, and I liked the setting, but it wasn't as good as the first book in the series. Stephen is a likeable protagonist, but this plot was quite predictable and so his inability to spot the
Jan McClintock
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the second book in this series, and I liked it better than the first. I think Stephen is shown in a bit more favorable light, and he's becoming more of a real character. I would still like to see more internal feeling from him, however, as I sometimes felt he was just going through the motions.

The atmosphere is described very well in this series, and you can almost feel the mud sucking at your shoes and smell the straw in the stable. The town of Ludlow is a real place, of course, and th
Sheri
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Good Sequel

Sometimes sequels are lacking in character development and plot, however this cannot be said of this 2nd book in this series!
Voirrey
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
... In which we learn more of Stephen's back story and he finds romance! And in which there is a very good mystery to keep him on edge.
Ken Hines
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This second book of Steven Attebrook was greart

I think this book was better than the first. I really enjoyed the twist of the story. I couldn't believe how the plot changed and how many people had to die for a list of names. What Margaret did was a shocker
Mel Fouch
This is the second book by the author featuring Stephen Attebrook, a knight fallen on hard times in 13th century England and just barely making a living as a coroner (the first is called The Wayward Apprentice).

I enjoyed the first book and was hoping another would follow, and this certainly doesn't disappoint.

If anything I felt the central story is a better one than in the first book, and that's not intended as a criticism of the first one I just think the author has perhaps hit his stride a bit
Jen
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-fiction

Baynard's List takes up some of the plot strands developed in the previous novel. The major plot thread in this novel concerns the list that the merchant Baynard kept. There was a list of Baynard's spies (Baynard supports the king) and a list of men believed to support Simon de Montfort. Both sides badly want the list.

If either side gained the list names, the result would be many deaths.

An old nemesis of Stephen's, Ademar de Valence, is the Crown Justice who desperately wants that list to gain
Leah G
really enjoyed this one, Jason Vail does great historical fiction. The accuracy and attention to detail is nice (though I wasn't too sure about an occasional "yeah" or other modern sounding exclamation.) The fight scenes are especially good, Stephen is a top notch fighter with nearly any weapon, but his main tool is his soldier's mentality and constant readiness, and will grab any advantage to do the unexpected. But poor chap, it's so annoying how people will go on attacking him and forcing him ...more
P.
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
More smoothly written than the first in this series, and thankfully there are fewer martial-arts-isms which I found confusing in the first. Our hero, Attebrook, is ostensibly, at least, a detective. He's not very good at it, as he all too frequently admits, although he eventually gets his man. He's got two methods: spontaneous inspiration based on nothing evident to the reader - he's niggled by things he saw that he can't make sense of [neither could I] until he does, and the blinding flash wher ...more
Kathleen
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ludlow England in 1262 was so intriguing, that I had to read this one. My Faunt (Lenfant) is first found in England in this time period in the employ of the Plantagenet kings. I was not disappointed, as the period detail and history was very well done. Stephen Attebrook and some of his associates are a bit more modern than might be expected for that time, but it is a fiction after all.

Attebrook is the Deputy Coroner for Ludlow, and is connected as such, to the Crown. The duties he was responsibi
George
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Stephen Attebrook mystery set in October, 1262 in the small town of Ludlow, England. Attebrook is an impoverished crippled (lost part of a foot fighting in Spain) who is seeking to earn a merger living by taking the position of deputy coroner. Attebrook is seeking a valuable list identifying the secret supporters of both King Henry and his rival for power which has disappeared. Whoever possesses that list obtains a significant advantage in the open war that is soon to break out between them. A ...more
Alison
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This entry in the series furthers the sense of peripheral involvement in broader events, and showcases Vail's strengths of unflinchingly looking at the morally and physically murky world of medieval people. Worth mentioning are the fight scenes - Vail's somewhat indulgent decision to make his protagonist a god of hand-to-hand fighting does lead a swashbuckling air, and at least contrasts to the standard smarter-and-more-modernly-moral advantages that most writers of crime fiction in this period ...more
Nancy McLaughlin
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Quick read

More action, less historical detail than previous books in the series. I got lost at one point in the story. Thinking I had missed something, I backtracked to the beginning of the chapter. Nope, hadn't missed anything because you can't miss what's not there. There is a plot twist that blindsides you because there was no build up to it. Were there a couple of missing pages? Despite some negative thoughts, I did enjoy the book.
Martha Johnson
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun village mystery genre, set in the Middle Ages

If you like village murder mysteries plus you find the Middle ages an interesting time period, you will generally enjoy this series. The MC is likable, his sidekick is funny, and the mysteries are good enough. A fun read for $1-$4. This particular e-book had quite a few typos and word order problems, but that is probably not the fault of the author.
Susan
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is now October 1262 and the list of spies for King and his rival Montfort, which was once held by King Henry's master spy in the area - Baynard - who had been recently murdered has gone missing.
By persuasion, from his former master, the crown justice Ademar de Valence - Attebrook has been forced to find the list.
Enjoyed the story and continue to like the characters, and look forward to reading the next in the series.

Karen
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a medieval murder mystery series whose chief protagonist is the impoverished younger son of a high-born family, Stephen Attebrook. The descriptions of medieval life and character development were strong, but I thought the plot was a bit weak, and the ending was somewhat confusing, with too many twists, turns, and about-faces. I might try another one to see if it's better, since the book was pretty short. Somewhat disappointed that this wasn't as good as it could have been.
Francis Mulhern
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another good book, very much a follow on from the first. Making enemies seems to be Attebrooks way in life. In this story we learn more of his past and he enters a 'mixed' relationship with a local Lady.
Solid story and on to the next book for me. Still the same issue of missing words and spelling.
Kathryn
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN

I really couldn't put this book down once I started reading it. Good 11th century mystery. Very interesting and surprising twists and turns. Kept me entertained.
Mary Walterman
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Action, mystery, romance

Again Jason Vail gives us a great story with lots of action, romance, comedy and mystery! A fun read and a fun addition to the series. I am on to the next installment.
Susan McDuffie
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting historical mystery. The author has done a great job researching the era and the sense of time and place is well portrayed. The major characters are well-developed; an enjoyable read.
Frank D
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Attebrook, deputy corner of Ludlow, has loose ends to tie up from the previous tale. Struggle for two lists of conspirators ensues between two factions of brewing civil war, Henry III and Simon de Monfort. main characters become more engaging.
Lexie Conyngham
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and action-packed mediaeval thriller with a more than usually complex plot, though one aspect of it was a little obvious. I like the main characters and have already started the next one. Well researched but it sits easily in the plot.
Sarah Schattman
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
On to the 3rd in the series

Stephen Attebrook is no Brother Cadfael, but he does come across some interesting cases in his job as Ludlow's assistant coroner. Will the beautiful widow he meets become a lover or an adversary?
Marcy Schroeder
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good mystery read

I need to enjoy the characters in a book. Once I get comfy with the characters, I will read everything I can in the series. These characters are thoroughly enjoyable.
Andrew Shinn
This was an ok distraction - if you're really in need of a Medieval setting fix.
Judy
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book more than the first one. We got more of Sir Stephen ' back story and thus more character development. More women and more non gentry
djp56
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the book.
  • Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4)
  • The Demon's Parchment (Crispin Guest, #3)
  • A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3)
  • The Rose of the World (Hawkenlye Mysteries #13)
  • The Gentleman's Walking Stick  (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries, #4.6)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • Templar's Acre (Knights Templar, #32)
  • The Sacred Stone (The Medieval Murderers, #6)
  • The Law of Angels (Abbess of Meaux, #3)
  • Unhallowed Ground (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #4)
  • Maiden of Inverness (Border, #4)
  • The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)

Stephen Attebrook Mysteries (6 books)
  • The Wayward Apprentice (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #1)
  • A Dreadful Penance (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #3)
  • The Girl in the Ice (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #4)
  • Saint Milburga's Bones (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #5)
  • Bad Money (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #6)
“The stairway was dark and he bumped into a woman whom he neither saw nor heard coming. “Watch it, love,” she said, “or I’ll knock you down.”               “You nearly did,” Stephen said with a forced laugh.               “Oh, sorry, sir,” she said, realizing from his accent he was gentry. “I didn’t see you.” 0 likes
“And that was that. He might as well try resisting a river.” 0 likes