Start by marking “Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)

Sword-Born

(Tiger and Del #5)

TIGER

Left as an infant to die in the desert, and enslaved by the Southron tribe who found him, he had won his freedom and his name by slaying a deadly sandtiger. Now he was a legendary sword-dancer--possibly the best in the South. But his true origins were still unknown.

DEL

Born in the frozen North, she had seen her family brutally murdered and her youngest brother carried
Mass Market Paperback, 414 pages
Published March 1999 by DAW Books (first published April 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Sword-Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword-Born

Start your review of Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)
Choko
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, advanture
*** 3.75 ***

A buddy read with the fabulous folks at FBR!

This was a very different book in the series and I didn't mind, really. It feels like the main arc has been completed, Del and Tiger achieved all the goals they had set up for themselves and more, and now both find themselves on the run from murderous mobs, broken all oaths of honor, banished from the South and the North, swordless sword-dancers without a song... For the type of people they are this is almost worse than death. So, what are
Mayim de Vries
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
“The heart, in fact, is a rather perverse part of the body, when you think about it. A heart wnts to do all manner of things the head doesn’t want any part of.”

Tiger and Del, both homeless and exiled, abandon their past and homelands in the search for new adventures. They set out for Skandi, an entirely new land where, as they believe, Tiger comes from. An encounter with pirates results in a plan to convince a dying old woman, who happens to be very rich and powerful, that Tiger is her long lost
Solseit
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a story focusing mostly on Tiger and his journey to his potential homeland.
It is a good story albeit lacking the action and the suspense of the prior installments. So it is a 3.5 stars read for me.

I am already ready for book 6!
Lundos
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
... And I'm done. The 'magic' just isn't there anymore so to speak. What a weird turn of events.
Shaitarn
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tiger and Del, now exiled from both the north and the south flee to the island of Skandi, seeking the truth of Tiger’s parentage. However they are captured by pirates and before long are involved (against their will) in a plot to pass Tiger off as a rich old lady’s long lost grandson.

3.75 stars rounded up.

I did enjoy this book, but not as much as I have. This is because the elements that I enjoyed the most in the previous books (the action and the sword-fighting) takes a back seat to the famil
Kara
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

Its best described as Anastasia meets Black Sails.

So, Tiger and Del have completed all their quests, vanquished Evil, defeated Big Bads, etc – they just maybe slightly bent all their rules and honor codes so far along the way that they’ve gotten themselves banished from both North and South.

What now? Why, go West, young man, go West!

Based on a theory that Tiger might be related to the people from a western island nation, Tiger and Del, lacking anything better to do, and needing a break from all
Cathy
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Continuing my re-reading of the series in 2013 to get to the new novel, I found this one still fun, but quite wordy. It just needed to be edited down a bit, many sections were very repetitive, especially the debates about gender equality although I'm all for the spirit of them, and there wasn't much action. I don't want to change my initial rating to a three star, but if I were to rate it now I might, it's on the cusp.
Christina Sullivan
This wasn't the best book in the series but it was entertaining. I like the couple bickering between Tiger and Del throughout the book. I didn't really care for the plot and toward the end it seemed like the plot didn't accomplish much really. The minor characters were forgettable unfortunately however some of them were entertaining. I still enjoyed listening to the book (I was listening to it at work).
Interesting historically-based setting, great secondary characters, a chance for Tiger to see what a good teacher he would make, the writing quite improved. I just wish there was a Del book in there somewhere. Five books from his perspective ... is a lot of books. He does grow as a character and add to his talents, and there is a lot of discussion in this book about what he used to be vs what he is now (partly, I believe, because of the 8 years between books. Lots of explication).
AK
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Not the best of the series, but does a lot of interesting stuff with gender/sexuality dynamics/identity, so I enjoyed that. It's also really nice to see a stable, committed, happy couple without much interpersonal drama.
Mike Isble
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one had a nice little twist. I’m ready for Tiger and Del to get back home and see exactly what the aftermath consists of though!!! 🤩
Ashley
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I was in the middle of this book, I would've given it three stars. The bantering dialogue is witty and thought-provoking, yet never seems unnatural, which is a huge plus for me; but the plot often seemed to lose itself, and the author has a frustrating habit of revealing important information to the characters but leaving the reader to infer what that information was. However, the climax upped this book to four stars for me, because the choice to use poetic language to convey the intensity ...more
Arminion
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish-it
Everything comes to an end. So does my reading of Tiger and Del's adventures. That is a shame, as I really enjoyed this saga, but as I said, everything comes to an end.
I don't know if it's because of the story, or if I'm just bored of these characters but I couldn't finish this book, and I really wanted to. I read about 50% of it and I just couldn't keep going.
The previous book was a little lackluster (I gave it 3 stars), but it was still enjoyable, so I expected that Roberson will at least pick
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loooved how far these two have come together and was thrilled to see more emotion from Del. It definitely made sense for her to be cold in the first few books, but to see how far she's come now all because of Tiger's love is truly amazing.

The story however was a bit repetitive in parts and I certainly didn't like seeing Tiger down..although you can never count him out. Things have a way of coming together nicely though and working out, but I don't like this business about him having 10 more y
Cheryl
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Brennan Shorter
Recommended to Cheryl by: Joshua Fornelli
Shelves: na-w, room-living
Tiger and Del have gotten rid of the sorcerer, by breaking Del's Jivatma, and Tiger's is under a huge pile of rocks. But at least they are alive. What can they do now that they have no swords, and where exactly should they go now that both have been banned from their homelands? Del reminds Tiger of the Skandic man who looked very like him, so they take a ship to find the place. But trouble and Magic seem to find them like they are both lodestones. Without any swords how can a sword singer and sw ...more
Rachael
Dec 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I thought maybe rereading this book with a close attention to detail would help me like it more. It didn't. I love her other books and the first half of this one is pretty good. But the second half is so confusing and odd that I just don't get it. It just isn't very well written.

I think the problem with this series is that she never define what her magic can and cannot do. This is a common problem for a lot of fantasy books though.
Dana
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is my least favorite book in the Tiger and Del series. I liked the beginning with the pirates and that Tiger and Del didn’t spend the whole book bickering for a change. However, the middle of the book dragged and the end had too much nonsensical mystical BS for me. I am so ready for this series to end.
Sorensenjp
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great book to read for fun, I love how strong the woman character in this book is and how well the male character balances her out, great perspective on a cool relationship wrapped in a really great series
Richard Houchin
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Sword-Dancer series never impressed me as much as the Chronicles of the Cheysuli. It just doesn't seem to have the same depth or social relevance. But the Sword-Dancer books are solid fantasy with talking, uppity swords, so it's all good!
Susan
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
The book was as good as the rest of the Tiger & Del books, but the fact that the publisher actually EDITED the cover art because Del was showing too much cleavage... stupid people.

Jeanne
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I do enjoy reading about Del and Tiger. I think though this series lost its excitement and adventure towards these last two books. What did keep me interested was the conversations between Del and Tiger, that kept me entertained and kept me laughing.
Welwyn Wilton Katz
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have the same feelings about all the Tiger and Del books and so I will use the same review for them all:
Please look for my review of Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del #1) to see why I liked these books so much.
Su
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this series - The Novels of Tiger and Del. I didn't finish reading this volume this time around (I've read it twice, already) only because I was hungry for something else. I'll get back to it, I hate leaving books unread - even un-re-read.
Michael
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
It has been over 15 years since I had read a book from this series. It was nice to come back to. It was a good read, though a little slow at times, when it kept rehashing the same things over and over.
Damian
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just as a note, this is one of the first series I've read as a child, and they hold a special place in my heart, so I can't objectively rate them. I've reread the series as an adult and still enjoy them, however.
Samuel
Mar 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Not as good as the previous, but some interesting outcomes throughout the book and in the end...
Steve
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantsy
this is a great read, and a great series... starts to streatch a little after book 6 but still worth the time.
Erica
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A very satisfying ending.
Allison
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are all great, mystical Celtic & the bond..romance of course is in there also.. ...more
Tammy Pohle
Feb 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Too many political issues in the book, took away from the story. But I still enjoyed it, just not as much as the others.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sword-Born [Jan 2018] 44 44 Jan 10, 2018 10:11AM

• Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
  • Hitler's War (The War That Came Early, #1)
  • Flash Gordon: War of the Citadels
  • The Planet of the Robot Slaves (Bill, The Galactic Hero, #2)
  • The Rebel Prince
  • A Rising Thunder (Honor Harrington, #13)
  • West and East (The War That Came Early, #2)
  • The Last Human (Chronicles of the King's Tramp, #3)
  • The Borderland
  • Dragon's Winter
  • The Fallen Angel (Gabriel Allon, #12)
  • The Alchemist and an Amaretto (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #5)
  • Exile's Valor (Heralds of Valdemar, #7)
  • Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol 2 (Otakoi: Otaku Can't Fall in Love?!)
  • Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol 3
  • First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)
  • Agent of Chaos (The X-Files: Origins, #1)
Jennifer Roberson has a BS in journalism with extended majors in British history and anthropology.  Hobbies include showing dogs, and creating mosaic artwork and jewelry.  She lives in Arizona with a collection of cats and Cardigan Welsh Corgis.

Tiger and Del (7 books)
  • Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1)
  • Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)
  • Sword-Sworn (Tiger & Del, #6)
  • Sword-Bound (Tiger & Del, #7)

News & Interviews