Start by marking “Bound to Darkness (The Turning, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bound to Darkness (The Turning, #1)

Bound to Darkness (The Turning #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  450 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The Turning - Bound to Darkness (Prequel)

Apollo and Amaya Shelly are twins, living deep in the forest of Stockwood Washington and away from civilization. Raised by their father and under the protection of their leader, Maximiliano, Apollo and Amaya live what they consider a normal life with the Sanguis clan.

Three days before their 18th birthday, the twins discover that the
Published September 24th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Bound to Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bound to Darkness

Caerigna Lunaltii
Very obviously written to be an ongoing series, with more of a "to be continued" ending than an actual completion of a plot. The vampires are world built to be gritty and grand, but come across over time as just gross and arrogant. Another key problem are the poorly explained major actions of twins. The author does alright with average actions and reactions, but doesn't quite manage to match that up with big decisions and actions. Instead they feel story required, rather than character driven. D ...more
Tracey
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
FREE KINDLE DOWNLOAD FROM AMAZON.COM

*** BOOK SPOILERS ***

Being a fangbanger of the highest order, I was both intrigued and excited when I read the description of this book at Amazon. Twins destined from birth to be made into vampires on their 18th birthday? Heck yeah! There were only three reader reviews posted, but all of three gave the story 5 glowing stars, so I figured I'd grab it up while it was still a freebie.

I'm glad it was a freebie, because had I paid good money I would have been reall
Amanda
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, paranormal
Action packed from page 1. Solid foundation for this series. Nicholas and his pregnant wife Victoria are brutally attacked and rushed to the emergency room. The twins, Apollo and Amaya are saved. Their parents are not so lucky. Nicholas is reborn into death as a vampire while in the morgue. All the while his new vampire instincts are trying to drive him, his instincts to protect his children override any of the hunger that is trying to consume him. He finds the babies and attempts to flee the ho ...more
Ann
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book entirely boring. The story started out great in the prologue, but as you moved through the pages, it very quickly stopped being exciting. And unfortunately, the characters where completely off-putting.

We'll start with Apollo. First off, no GIRL would be better than him. Really? And isolated in the middle of nowhere, with super vampires as family, including a female vampire, and his twin sister being his only constant companion, WHERE did her develope this mentality? Dispite wha
R. D.
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Definitely not a thriller or a standalone book. Don't start reading unless you plan to finish the series because the ending leaves you hanging.

The prologue pumped me up. I wanted to read this book based on it alone. I have to break this book in thirds. The first third was slow; I continued just to finish. The second third picked up a little to the point that I wanted to know what was going to happen next. The last third was the juiciest.

This book was lacking something that I can't name yet as fa
Michelle Douglas
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another free book on my kindle but it was a decent read about a man, who eighteen years previously had been turned. His wife, who carried a dormant werewolf gene was killed during the same attack. She was delivered of twins just prior to her death. He had come to an agreement with the head vampire to secure the twin's safety until they reached the age of eighteen when they both would be turned to vampirism, however the mutant werewolf gene in the male twin presents itself and a differen ...more
phyllis
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who is Family?

As a research scientist, Nicholas was expected to find something that will enhance the vampires abilitys,especially Max the head vampire. Nicholas wants to turn his twins into vampires, before he turns the twins. The twins know only that their 18teenth is supposed to be very special, but, not why. When they accidentally.find the vampires living in a cave, they're horrified. What does the future hold for Apollo and Anaya? A book you're 'll want to read and follow with the continuing
EFinn1
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reign and Arellano wrote a great story- the old fashioned blood thirsty vampire story. Intermixed with that is the story of how 2 children raised in seclusion found their way into and part of this world. This is the story of their turning- how they anticipated it, how they endured it and how it changed their personalities and shaped their futures.
The story is good, the characters are intriguing and you will want to read books 2 and 3. Apollo's character will draw you in, the Sambras will repuls
Denise
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I must admit, this book was awesome. It had a different aspect on vampires that I truly enjoyed. I was left wanting more. As the twins, Apollo and Amaya, lived with their vampire dad, they were destined to be 'turned' at the age of 18. The lived with the clan that took them in at birth, under the condition that they would be part of the vampires clan as vampires. This story held a lot of emotion upon the twins learning of the 'ceremony' of their 18th birthday. The ending was very good. This book ...more
Becky Fisk
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book held the basis for a strong and exciting tale. Twins destined to be turned on their 18th birthday, vampires, werewolves, vamp/were hybrid and the ensuing battle? Unfortuantly, the writing lacks character devevlopement, jumps from one emotion to the next and in what I assume to be an attempt to detail a scene knitpicks the mundane and skips over the important. With some work this could be a very exciting read, unfortunately, it's just not there yet.
Lisa Swanepoel
Feb 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ms Reign should stick to writing books on her own. To me this book lacked character and suspense. I never really connected with any of the characters and felt that the whole story fell flat. The ending is also very abrupt with the promise of a sequel. I won't waste my time with the reading the second instalment.
mpfrom
Jan 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
My first free kindle book from amazon. Totally lame. What a letdown. Will not be continuing with the series. The only reason I even finished the book in the first place was to see what kind of absurd cliche the author would steal from EVERY other vampire and werewolf story ever written. Nothing original. Nothing well written. Don't waste your time.
Shoulanda August
A father undying love

Twins destined to be turned once they reach the tender age of eighteen. Never having a choice, they fate decided for them. Growing up surrounded by something they didn't know or understand. One embraced the path chosen for them. The other confused and unable to accept nor believe. A fight that's been brewing before they were born...............
Crystal
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely the opposite of the Twilight Saga in regards to storytelling about vampires. There is still a hint of a love story. I am not particularly fond of the leaders of the coven. There are vampires and werewolves and humans all intermixed in this story. I cannot wait to purchase the next book in the series and read more of the story.
Jessica
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Started out good. Good character development, but then the characters did not follow their original established pattern and the ending came quickly and was incomplete. This sets up for a sequel, but it would have done better as a full length novel. There could have been much more cohesion...
Kelli
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Wasn't bad, wasn't good. Not my kind if vampire story, but I'm not rating it on that. Constantly changing perspectives made it hard to follow and some of the timing was off, making the story not as believable.
Carole
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about Amaya and Apollo (twins) who will be turned into vampires on their 18th birthday. Apollo fights it and Amaya embraces her fate but Apollo isn't just a vampire. Overall I give this book a solid B+
Emily
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vampire fans
Recommended to Emily by: free ebook on Amazon
Nothing wrong with the book or how it is written, I just could not connect with the story or characters. I love paranormal and vampire romances, but the story just didn't ignite for me.
Alicia Huxtable
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A well written story with a strong storyline and characters. Recommended
Elizabeth
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the book but am not sure whether I'll continue with number 2. The ending threw me for a loop. Why after trying so hard to escape would Apollo then side with the clan and stay?
Joyce McKune
Vampires & werewolves. A bit too violent, but the storyline was okay.
Moon Stumpp
Feb 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
I wasn't impressed...it just didn't hold my attention.
Melissa Waite
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
uhhhh, well, not sure what to say....
Karen
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This seems to have caught my attention when reading. Waiting for the next book to come out
Karl Tybury
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can we have awful movies like Twilight when there's actual good vampire novels like this that aren't common knowledge!!

I shall be spreading the word to all the Vampire fans out there!!
Harmony T.
3 stars may be a little high for this book. Some intriguing parts to the story but overall not worth continuing on through the trilogy.
andrea pack
jeanette
rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2015
The Gothic Novel ...: Free ebook 1 6 Jun 20, 2015 09:45AM
  • Vampire in Denial (Family Blood Ties, #1)
  • The Vampires' Last Lover (Dying of the Dark Vampires Book 1)
  • The Vampire Club
  • Slow Boat to Purgatory (Volume One)
  • The Pet Psychic Diaries
  • Hunter's Blood (Cursed by Blood, #1)
  • The Ghost Toucher
  • Stolen (Bitten #2)
  • Alex's Destiny (Defender's Blood, #1)
  • The Skull Ring
  • The Werewolf Whisperer (Vampire Love Story, #2)
  • Fanged Love (The Vampire from Hell, #0.5)
  • The Fey
  • Prophecy of the Female Warrior (Nephilim Warriors, #1)
  • The Spirit Clearing
  • Diary of a Narcissistic Bloodsucker
  • Out of the Box (On the Edge)
  • The Vampire Relationship Guide: Meeting & Mating (Vampire Relationship Guide, #1)
April M. Reign was born and raised in Southern California by her happily married parents. She is the oldest of three daughters and considers both of her sisters to be her best friends.

Growing up, she was involved in many sports: softball, surfing, tennis, and Kenpo karate. Many weekends at the beach with her family included her father packing up the long boards and teaching all three daughters how
More about April M. Reign...

The Turning (4 books)
  • Unleashed (The Turning, Book 2)
  • Vampire Vengeance (The Turning, #3)
  • Vampire Curse (The Turning Series, #4)
“Amaya rested her face in the palms of her hands. She closed her eyes, trying to remember a happier time. “Look at us, Polly. Three days ago, our lives were great and now look at us.” Apollo went to his sister, and sat down on a bumpy extended part of the wall next to where she stood. He grabbed her hand and pulled her down to sit next to him. When she did, he put his arm around her shoulders. After a few moments of thinking, Apollo looked at his sister. He studied her face. He felt the distance that still lingered between them. “I’m just as scared as you are. Maybe even more.” 0 likes
“However, he justified his thoughts with one question: what made vampires any different from human beings? People were carnivores. They slaughtered cattle, pigs, chickens for their own consumption. Humans were part of the food chain, too.” 0 likes