Start by marking “The Classic: How Everett Case and His Tournament Brought Big-Time Basketball to the South” as Want to Read:

Published December 31st 2011 by Whitecaps Media (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Classic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Classic

Johnny
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
For those us, who have such fond memories of the ACC Tournaments of the 80's and early 90s, when the league was only 8 teams and the tournament was only three days long, The Classic is a wonderful trip back in time to before the ACC Tournament and basketball was not yet king but became legend that is Tobacco Road.
It in interesting that the driving force behind the Dixie Classic was the member product of the Indiana High School system who adored the tournament system. Everett Case coached the
Julie
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Growing up in North Carolina, this book gave me some insight as to how we became so basketball crazy. For me growing up the beginning of March was the one time a year we were allowed to watch T.V. in school.

Bethany paints a fabulous picture of the tournament. I could easily imagine myself in the smokey haze of Reynolds Coliseum. The scandal was interesting to me.It is proof that it does not matter the decade, there are always selfish people looking to make a quick buck and pray
Bill
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Dixie Classic was the one event that established college basketball's sports supremacy in North Carolina.
Rives Coleman
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great historical perspective on a tournament that was clearly a cut above in the early ages of ACC hoops
Derek
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it

Very interesting read about a topic I knew nothing about. If you're a college basketball fan, you'll love this!!!!!!! I am a colllege basketball fan, but not so hardcore (or old) that I knew what the Dixie Classic was. Very enjoyable read.
Keith
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
The glory days of NC State basketball, with a side serving of point shaving and segregation. Great history lesson for any Raleighite.
Meaghan