Start by marking “Dragonquest (Pern, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragonquest (Pern, #2)

Dragonquest

(Dragonriders of Pern #2)

Another Turn, and the deadly silver Threads began falling again. So the bold dragonriders took to the air once more and their magnificent flying dragons swirled and swooped, belching flames that destroyed the shimmering strands before they reach the ground.

But F'lar knew he had to find a better way to protect his beloved Pern, and he had to find it before the rebellious
Published October 13th 1986 by Del Rey Books (first published May 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonquest

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,236 books — 2,301 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
6,781 books — 21,346 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Dragonquest (Pern, #2)
Judah Nielsen
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fluff, 2-star, sf-f, 1900-1999
So, this is the second book of a trilogy, and then there's another trilogy, and then some other books, and when you've tallied it all up, you have something like 27 books in the series. And I've read the first two, but unless I get pneumonia and my reading time suddenly quadruples, I'm probably done, and I feel strange about it, because when all is said and done, I don't hate these books.

The setting is imaginative. The stories move along at a good pace. The stories are interesting. If that was
Punk
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, dragons
Fantasy. Again, this book teaches that the way to a woman's heart is through dubious consent. This time it's just F'nor being a dick; horny telepathic dragons had nothing to do with it. Apparently our hero sees nothing wrong with having sex with a woman who is "fighting him." He's also a big fan of domestic violence: "It was too bad you couldn't beat a Weyrwoman with impunity. Her dragon wouldn't permit it but a sound thrashing was what Kylara badly needed."

Look, I didn't like Kylara either. No
Susan Kennedy
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fantastic. I am able to just immerse myself into this world. I can feel like I belong there. The characters are fantastically written and I feel myself becoming attached to them. There are also some that I just despise. I love this world that McCaffrey created. I love the history of it, but these books that I am reading now are at the heart of the world and what I loved about Pern.

This has been such a great reread. I am thoroughly enjoying reliving all of these events that were so long
Jerry
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
In my review of Dragonflight, I compared that starter Pern novel to a series premiere of a television show; although it was a bit rough around the edges, it showed some signs of promise. Dragonquest, although still not perfect, was an improvement over its prequel. The story was just as good, and the writing was better. Now, I just hope that the upswing continues throughout the rest of the Pern series, as long as it is.
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Well, we found out dragons can travel in time as well as space, and people from the past don't get along well with people in the present...
Kerry
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 8, sf, reread, 2012
I've always liked this book in the Pern series, probably more than I like Dragonflight. I really like F'nor and Brekke and the introduction of the fire lizards. It's also in this book that the characters really start to begin discovering their history and the technology of the Ancients, which is a trope I generally always really like in SF/Fantasy. I love those cross-over books that feel like fantasy but you discover have a solid, SF premise underneath.

I absorbed the Pern books so long ago in my
Stephen
2.5 stars. A decent sequel to Dragonflight. The world created by McCaffrey was well done as was the description of the "link" between dragon and rider. The plot and some of the characters failed to keep my interest the entire time and I did find myself waiting for something to happen. Overall, decent but not great.

Nominee: Hugo Award Best Science Fiction Novel
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel
Edward Rathke
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
These are peculiar books that are beginning to take on an interesting shape.

The first novel is something I would probably describe as misogynistic, classist, and maybe racist (in what it implies about genetic superiority), and for about half of this I was thinking the same thing. It's odd reading a book written by a woman that seems pretty hateful towards women. Not that women can't be misogynists--it's just not what I expect out of a writer who is a woman.

There's at least an implicit argument
Badseedgirl
I expect a certain amount of misogyny in fantasy novels, but I was disappointed in it from a female author. Seriously the most interesting thing the female characters did in this story was when two of the female characters got into a stupendous catfight (dragonfight) in which they both end up dragonless and almost destroyed.

Still I will probably give the next book a go. They are quick reads after all.

BAM The Bibliomaniac
Summer Fantasy Fest read #16
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
More satisfying emotionally than Dragonflight. Lots of changes being put in motion. This book is heavily concerned with challenging traditions of all kinds. F'lar and F'nor are definitely the main characters rather than Lessa* and I remain frustrated with some of their actions and views on women.

F'nor's scene with Brekke was the worst part (more not so consensual sex presented as swooningly romantic) but overall less of the stupid underlying misogyny and infantalizing/domination of women by men.
Sotiris Karaiskos
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second part of the series and this trilogy is the same well written as the first and has the same virtues that made me like it. In this we add some interesting characters and a little more emotion inside the pages and so we have an equally positive result. The problem, however, is that apart from some political power games, our heroes are mainly concerned with issues of... gardening. This of course does not look very exciting. but in the author's hands this gardening becomes equally epic and ...more
Karen’s Library
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
If I can't have a dragon, then I want a firelizard!

I made the mistake of deciding to re-read book 1 of The Dragonriders of Pern by audio this time around. And yup, I am once again obsessed with this world and these dragons/riders.
Vivian
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
10/2014 Buddy Reread with Don as we transverse the past to remember what we have forgotten.

Holy Crackerdoodle!

There was a lot going on in this story. No time to breath. F'lar's nonstop strategizing, planning, brooding set everyone on edge in this one. Man's gonna get someone killed trying to guess his intentions and eager to save him from the inherent danger in his machinations.

Pern is still a seething pit of politics and with the acerbating attitudes of the Oldtimers there is major conflict
Ricky Ganci
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jumping ahead 7 Turns, I felt like this book settled me into the continued plot very comfortably. She became a bit longer-winded in this volume, spending a bit more time with character’s thoughts and reflections of events, but only once or twice did I feel distracted from the story and the danger of the Threadfall. F’nor takes a centerpiece in this novel, and it felt natural, being totally separate from the first book, which centered on F’lar and Lessa (both of whom appear in this book), who ...more
Marie Malyon
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lent this book along with nine others in the series by a good friend along with the recommendation they are his favourite fantasy books. I have to say now that I am at the second in the series I have not been let down.

Don't let the publication date of 1971 put you off! This has some seriously well developed female characters of Lessa, Kylara & Brekke who I fell in love with in this book. The developing relationships, emotional turmoils and childhood scandals appealed to me greatly and
Juushika
When Thread begins to fall out of schedule Pern is thrown into high agitation, aggravating troubled political relationships and sending dragonriders on a new quest: to stop the threat of Thread for good. For such a bold aim, Dragonquest is markedly undirected. It discards the flawed but compelling POVs of Dragonflight and replaces them with an ensemble cast, headhopping, and a pair of inspired minor protagonists. While largely political the plot lacks politicking (McCaffrey's antagonists are ...more
Don Bradshaw
Buddy read with Vivian.
This installment was much more political with less thread fighting as some major changes are made on Pern. F'lar has always been a leader but tried to give the leadership over all away but was forced to take it. Somehow F'lar as been cast as the bad guy in some reader's minds because he tends to hold his cards close to his chest. If the poor guy shared most of his thoughts of his imagined future for Pern he would have a revolution on his hands. There were some amazing
Alsha
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still love this book for what it is and for what it sets up. At the same time, I was totally bowled over by a certain dubious consent scene and other attitudes legitimising domestic violence that weren't part of my awareness when I first read these books (many times) as a teenager. They alter my fondness for a character I otherwise like very much and a relationship that I always viewed very positively. Disappointing. The words might not change, but times and attitudes do. A fascinating way to ...more
Anastasia
Jun 30, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, 2008
Initial impression: So far, slower and more boring than the first, with more traditional gender roles.

Final conclusion: It seems like maybe Anne McCaffrey had nothing going on so she decided to try to write a follow-up to Dragonflight, but when she started, she couldn't figure out what to write about. Not much happens in this book-- really just a bunch of boring arguing. Some of the times/dates are off, with certain characters being too young or too old to mesh with what did/didn't happen in the
Curtiss
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This has my favorite scene in the entire series in which brownrider F'nor 'impresses' a newly-hatched queen firelizard while recuperating on a sandy beach of the Southern continent. The little golden queen even flies 'between' from fright at the sight of his dragon Canth, and F'nor realizes with awe that the legends are true about the dragons having been bred from firelizards by the long-lost technology of the ancients.

When F'nor mentions his conclusions to his dragon, Canth's reply is a
Gillian Murrell
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another trip down memory land to the land of Pern. Once you get your head around all the names of the people and dragons its smooth sailing into this brilliant story. I particularly love when the Eggs hatch :)
Jennifer Alvarez
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm breathless! What an ending to the second book in this series. If you want an exciting vacation to an exotic and exciting world, but can't afford one, read this series. If you want to ride a dragon, but don't know any, read this series. It's mind-blowing.
Rob
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2019
Sensible progression w/r/t/ characters, setting, and overarching series plot. Some of it feels a little overwrought, but the whole generational friction + passing-of-the-torch conflicts worked for me. Still trying to place the specifics into historical context though (i.e., what generations is she alluding to?)

Was also a little nice to see some softening of the whole dragonriders-as-authoritarians element that was so pervasive in book #1. And/but/so -- still a little much sexual assault.
Deborah Ideiosepius
This is the second of the dragonriders of Pern book, not chronologically but in order of publication. This is a far more important order in my estimation, since the later written books lacked the creativity of the early ones.

Dragonquest is set seven years after Dragonflight was but was published a mere two years after the first book. The characters are continued from the first book with relatively few changes. Lessa, F'lar, F'nor are all pretty much the same and the Masterharper and Mastersmith
Barbara ★
I've been very reluctant to continue this series though I did try a month or so ago to read Dragonquest and was so darn confused that I gave up on it. I need it for a challenge so decided to give it another try. Again it's very confusing but I'm determined to read it this time since I've already committed to White Dragon for August. Hopefully I'll be able to stomach another one.

Like the first book, this has a very slow start that takes a good 100 pages before everything began to make sense and I
Katherine Coble
Ugh. This book.

Yes, I'm giving it four stars. Yes, I really really liked it.

So where did the fifth star go?

I'll tell you.

It disappeared.

Just like the scene where a villain of the story--whom we've seen from their POV, been inside their head--gets comeuppance for doing a violent and horrible thing.

Readers need closure. If we've watched calumny and nefarious wickedness of a character, it is only right and fair that we get to experience that character's reckoning and consequences.

That doesn't
Katie
I've been in a definite mood for a re-read of the Pern series - one of the great favorites from my childhood. There are some dated gender roles, unfortunately, but it's still one of my favorite worlds - with developed cultural history, creatures, and a driving quest through the series
Rae
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sequel that lives up to it's name. That much better than Dragonflight, where one first falls in love with Lessa and the bond between dragon and dragonrider. I can't wait to continue on to the next and see what Jaxom and Ruth's future holds.
Tehani
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fantasy, rereading
Marisol and I are rereading and reviewing Pern. Our Dragonquest review is here: http://fablecroft.com.au/miscellaneou...
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Dragonquest [Sep 15, 2019] 6 17 Sep 29, 2019 10:28AM
Help me find this Fantasy Book! 2 7 Apr 04, 2019 07:37AM
A Million More Pages: 2 - Dragonquest (Pern): Jun 1 44 28 Jul 25, 2015 11:56AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #109 - Dragonquest 1 2 Jul 02, 2015 12:27PM

• Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1
  • The People of Pern
  • Dragon's Code (Pern, #25)
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)
  • The Shattered Chain (Darkover, #10)
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • The Madness Season
  • A History of the Crusades, Vol. II: The Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Frankish East, 1100-1187
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High

Dragonriders of Pern (3 books)
  • Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
“There wasn’t a man alive in Pern who hadn’t secretly cherished the notion that he might be able to Impress a dragon. That he could be linked for life to the love and sustaining admiration of these gentle great beasts. That he could transverse Pern in a twinkling, astride his dragon. That he would never suffer the loneliness that was the condition of most men - a dragonrider always had his dragon.” 9 likes
“Your initial mistake, my dear F’lar,” and the Harper’s voice was at its drollest, “was in providing salvation from the last imminent disaster in a scant three days by bringing up the Five Lost Weyrs. The Lord Holders really expect you to provide a second miracle in similar short order.” 0 likes