Start by marking “The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern” as Want to Read:
The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern

The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern (Pern (Chronological Order))

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  9,546 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
An indispensable companion guide to the wonderful world of Anne McCaffrey and her dragons.

Guaranteed to enrich every armchair traveler's journey into McCaffrey's legendary world, this illuminating guide leaves no stone in Pern unturned! Both faithful fans and newcomers will relish the fascinating history and lore of . . .

THE DRAGONS: How they developed from little fire-liz
Published March 18th 1997 by Del Rey Books (first published 1989)

Jessica
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, own
I got this for Christmas at the height of my Pern obsession, so . . . maybe 1992? 1993? I pored over every page. I memorized the banners of every hold. If you love Pern, you must have this!
Ian Banks
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Pern series when I was a kid (still do, in fact) and it was one one of my go-to feel-good series for many years. This slim volume bought back many happy memories of the books (only reread a couple of years ago) as well as filling in some gaps I never knew existed.

Before I go much further, I should point out that I have a ridiculous love for source books such as this: if done well, they illuminate and enhance the source material, rather than just rehash tired bios and stories. I have

Gail Morris
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not a bad reference book for those who have read the books by Anne McCaffrey about the planet Pern; but if you read the Atlas of Pern then some things are a bit different between the two books... now if they ever make a movie series from the books I'm sure that much will change depending on the budget and none will look the way the reader imagined it.
I know that I messed up with the location of Southern Weyr and Southern Hold, I had them opposite of each other than the maps showed... but it stil
Kelsey
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A great book if you are really into the Pern novels, as it really explains many of the traditions and the history that is only referred to in them. It has songs, recipes, a guide to the flora and fauna, and other interesting compliments to the novels. If you aren't really in to the series, its probably boring, but if you are obsessed, its nice to have everything in one place.
Emilou
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
There were some interesting things in this guide, but most of the information can be found in the books. Much of it wasn't new or even needed. There would be excess of information about some things and not enough detail for others. I also disliked how they would have pictures of buildings or areas, and nothing would be labeled. I wasn't sure what I was looking at. It was poorly put together. I wished there were more pictures since Pern is such an interesting place.

Basically, this book seemed lik
Michael Brown
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit out of date but a nice data book for the early Pern stories with lots of additional background and info not easily noted in the books themselves as you read them.
Alice
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty much a must have if you want to make sense of most of McAffrey's world, but even then it either includes information that has either since been retconned or is contradictory. A lot of it is unorganised, too: information on some of the flora, for example, is under the Fort Hold's recipe for klah, which also includes information on Bakercraft. It's a good reference book on the whole, though.
Brendan
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I mostly grabbed this for the possibility of pictures, and there weren't enough of those for it to get a higher rating than it did. I am just now re-reading the Pern series and what I read in this book did not seem much more informative than information I had gained from the novels themselves. Maybe a few statistics here and there, but I found that rather boring. I would rather just discover Pern through the narrative.

Of course, I might not be a big enough fan to truly appreciate this volume.
Michael
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
For some reason, I got this book as a kid despite not having actually read any of the Pern books. But I loved it at the time even though there were a lot of things which didn't make much sense due to my general lack of context for the series as a whole. So, I'm probably not the best judge for this book's quality as a companion to the Pern series, but I seem to recall enjoying the information provided here and the included stories as a stand-alone experience at the time. This is something I'll ha ...more
Erin
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it
I have owned a copy of this book for years and years. It tends to live in my kitchen cookbook cupboard because I have made Klah over the years and also Bubbly Pies. I cannot tell you how many people have wowed over the Bubbly Pies.

I love love love this book.

I cannot believe I hadn't added it to my virtual library previously.
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
Jody Lynn Nye lists her main career activity as ‘spoiling cats.’ When not engaged upon this worthy occupation, she writes fantasy and science fiction books and short stories.

Before breaking away from gainful employment to write full time, Jody worked as a file clerk, book-keeper at a small publishing house, freelance journalist and photographer, accounting assistant and costume maker.

For four year
More about Jody Lynn Nye...

Pern (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Pern, #12)
  • Dragonseye (Pern, #14)
  • Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)
  • Dragon's Fire (Pern, #19)
  • Dragon Harper (Pern, #20)
  • Dragonheart (Pern, #21)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Dragongirl (Pern, #22)
  • Dragon's Time (Pern, #23)