Start by marking “A Patch of Blue” as Want to Read:
A Patch of Blue

A Patch of Blue

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  6 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Sometimes funny, tearful, serious or all three, these stories give the reader little chance to recover, as they change from contemporary to the historic, love to war, personal to public, offering a pot-pourri of the author's work. Culled from the treasury of Brian Mullally's collection of short stories, the series includes several award winning stories.
Published September 10th 2011 by Blue Denim Press Inc

To ask other readers questions about A Patch of Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Patch of Blue

Michael
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
No doubt all of us have had the experience of reading a book and not disliking it, but not being enthralled by it either. Halfway through you find yourself asking the question: Is there quality in the writing even though it is not a narrative style that appeals to me?

This was my experience when I read Brian Mullally’s short story collection “A Patch of Blue”. I decided there was indeed quality in the stories and pushed on to the end of the collection.

I should confess my biases. My desire, in nov
Maria
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of short stories. There are a few recurrent themes, including, old age, war, property and land ownership; but on the whole, each story is distinct from the others and each story is like a little world, or a window into a world, or another person's perspective. It's an entertaining collection of stories that held my interest. The author has a talent for creating lifelike characters and taking everyday situations and turning them into thought-provoking prose. Many of the sto ...more
Carol Ward
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are twenty stories in the collection, spanning a variety of themes, from war to love to every day life. There's a man confronted by his own future; a woman who learns the power of pink; and a mystery involving uncut diamonds.

Given the choice between the contemporary and historical stories, I'd have to say I enjoyed the historical ones the most, they were like little windows into the past. A few of the contemporary stories were more a slice of life than a true story, but for the most part
Ann
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
a great variety of stories from many eras, the final one was my favourite, the local connection (he lives in my area) helps me make a connection
Esther