Start by marking “The Dolphins of Pern (Pern, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Dolphins of Pern (Pern, #13)

The Dolphins of Pern (Pern (Publication Order) #13)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  15,337 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
Two boys, one of them a dragonrider, re-establish crucial contact with the wise dolphins, the legendary "shipfish" of Pern.

From the Paperback edition.
Published September 10th 1997 by Del Rey (first published 1994)

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,128 books — 2,154 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinMemoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Best Books of the Decade: 1990's
2,693 books — 3,255 voters

More lists with this book...

Deborah Ideiosepius
Ta dah! Review located. I am copying to here because the conversation thread is too interesting to lose. For any newcomer, mystified by this comment, see *footnote.

The Dolphins of Pern

Gere Lewis
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. I like the dolphins almost as much as I like the dragons and that is saying something. I also enjoy Readis as a character.

I am beginning to wonder, however, what it is that Anne McCaffrey has against grown women, especially being one herself. The young female characters of Pern, with a few exceptions, are good natured and charismatic. However, her adult female characters are stubborn, self righteous, and often down right mean. The three most noteworthy examples (f
Wealhtheow
Apr 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
After all the exciting things happen--after the settlers land on Pern, and are nearly destroyed by Thread, and discover dragons, and set up Weyrs and Holds and Halls, all the while devolving into a sexist&rigidly hierarchal medieval society, and eventually Jaxom bonds with Ruth, and Menolly finds her firelizards and transforms Harpers, and they rediscover their computer and figure out how to end Thread-fall once and for all, and all manner of social changes start being forced through--after ...more
Kat
To borrow a TV phrase, I consider All the Weyrs of Pern (the book immediately proceeding Dolphins of Pern chronologically) to be where McCaffrey jumped the shark with the Dragonriders series. I will refrain from including any spoilers here and only say that All the Weyrs has the natural feel of a conclusion about it. Then McCaffrey had to go and write two Pern books to follow it! To put it another way, all the books written before All the Weyrs of Pern have warrented multiple rereadings. All the ...more
Hilary
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For many Turns the dolphins have been left to fend for themselves. They remember the Second Crossing, the evacuation of the southern continent (detailed in a novella in The Chronicles of Pern First Fall), but why have the humans abandoned them?

I understand why some people consider this one of the less-enjoyable books in the series: dragons hardly enter into it at all, the beloved characters featuring in the other books (F'lar, Lessa, Robinton, Menolly, Jaxom) are all on the sidelines here, and t
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I would have enjoyed this installment more if Readis' mother hadn't had such antipathy for her son's work with the dolphins. It really didn't make any sense at all and just added unnecessary conflict. The confrontation with Toric was also superfluous.
Angie
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. The dolphins add a new dimension to the Pern stories. I wish they could have been reintroduced earlier. However, I love what they bring to the series.
Deborah Ideiosepius
In this latter book in the Pern series Anne McCaffrey explores the notion that dolphins came to Pern with the original human settlers as helpers for the ocean side of the new planet. The book explores the re-discovery of the dolphins which have sentience and language skills due to a process they were given back on Earth (which apparently bred true).

Published in the early 1990's when dolphins and their intelligence were very much the talk of the decade, the book is a lot of fun in exploring Pern
Fluffy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a sweet tale in the Pern series. You can't not love the dolphins, they're so happy and clever and so loyal to their traditions and duties to 'mans'.

This book gives some nice depth to events after the victory over the Red Star and adds a good element of the dolphins which are mentioned now and then before and it's nice to see them finally embraced. It gives a nice view on how things are shaping up, building to The Skies Of Pern regarding Toric and the start of civil unrest.

I really
Michalina
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book laying around in my house and decided to give it a shot. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to start a series from the thirteenth (!) book, but I still did it.
This novel tells a story about dolphins and their importance on the planet of Pern. Thorough out the book humans learn how intelligent dolphins are and how helpful they can be for the whole community.
The annoying thing about this book was that it didn't really have one main character, but instead it jumped from one person to a
George Hahn
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A feel-good story and not for people who want blasters and battling spaceships, but another enjoyable Pern book if you like that kind of story.
Lianne Pheno
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Une bonne petite lecture dans le cycle. On ne peux pas dire que ça soit une lecture vraiment essentielle mais pour continuer dans le plaisir de cet univers avec des personnages très sympa et une petite intrigue tout à fait dans l'esprit de la série, c'était la lecture idéale.

Pendant de nombreuses années, les dauphins ont été les compagnons maritime préférés des humains, ils les guidaient pour leur faire éviter les tempêtes et leur signaler les meilleurs z
Darlene
I read this long ago. I recently picked up a large collection of McCaffrey hardback (many first edition) novels. I felt somehow in Her presence as I was about halfway through this book when she passed to 'between.'

This is not my favorite book of the Pern novels, but it ranks very high. I am passionate about dolphins and swimming... and dragons. But at times I wished for more of Readis's life than the life of the 'politicians' of the planet. I wished for more science discovery. There was a lot of
Aishuu
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
As I reread Pern, I'm coming to the conclusion that McCaffrey would've been better off quitting while she was ahead (and that Todd McCaffrey should never have been let at the universe).

I wanted to like this because it featured characters I love (really enjoyed seeing Alemi again and his relationship with Menolly), but there's no heart to this story, nothing cohesive that made me want to turn the page.

There's a couple of anecdotes and characters I enjoyed (I liked the dolphins and how they've ca
Al Philipson
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is parallel to The All the Weyrs of Pern in that it takes place in the same time frame.

Readis is a youngster who develops an interest in "Ship Fish" (Dolphins) when they rescue him from a sinking skiff (during a storm). He's the first person in hundreds of years ("turns") to realize that they can talk. The story revolves around around this link between Readis and the dolphins as the fact of talking (and helping) "ship fish" clashes with the hidebound culture of Pern that is already ree
Kathryn
Aug 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Oh for crying out loud...what the heck HAPPENED? The book right before this one, "All the Weyrs Of Pern" was fantastic and startling and different and beautiful. And then this one was AWFUL. McCaffrey took one of my favorite characters from the last book, Aramina, and turned her into a shrewish, unsympathetic, two-dimensional twit. The storyline with her son going off to make his own hold was like something out of a nine-year-old's diary ("I'm going to run away and make my own hold and live with ...more
Jerry Miller
After reading some of the reviews of this book on Goodreads, i was afraid to read it. I have been a fan of the Pern series for many years. Although they are by no means great literature, they are an entertaining diversion. The major complaint about this book was that it really had little to do with the dragons and familiar characters. For me, this was a welcome change. Instead of more thread flying, we are treated to a lesson about Pern's past. Dolphins were brought with the first settlers, and ...more
Ingrid
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Another chronicle of Pern. If you've enjoy your time on the planet before this will give you more of the same. This novel explores the oceans of Pern and the community of dolphins that have long been forgotten by the humans and dragons. I didn't find it compelling or exciting or satisfying, but a healthy diversion.
Mdi
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another good Mccaffrey read. Love the dolphins.
Enzo
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy going back to Pern. I figured I would read "The Dolphins of Pern" in order to keep the sequence and be able to read the book I have been keeping aside "The Skies of Pern" which I will break a rule and read next.
But back to Dolphins. The story takes place at the same time as the events on "All the Weys in Pern" so AIVAS is still functional and guiding the Dragonriders towards its mission of diverting the Red Star. With this backdrop we focus on the second part that is also history
Erik Akre
May 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
So you've read enough fantasy literature and taken enough trips to the bookstore to browse around and see what the genre has to offer. Eventually you see enough names, and you wonder to yourself, "Hmm... Who is this Anne McCaffrey? What is this 'Pern'?" You get a little curious, but then you move on.

Then, a few weeks later, you stumble on The Dolphins of Pern at a Goodwill store, and you say What the heck; I've heard good things about McCaffrey, haven't I? Oh I guess I'll try it; and you buy it
Sandra
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Je pensais que j'allais m'ennuyer un petit peu avec ce tome, qui a l'air d'être davantage une « annexe » à l'histoire principale qu'une réelle avancée, mais en réalité, je me suis régalée !

Ce tome fait une rétrospective de la vie des dauphins sur Pern depuis leur arrivée sur la planète, et du coup, on a un bel aperçu de leurs aptitudes et de leur importance depuis des milliers d'années.

J'ai trouvé ce tome tout mignon, les dauphins sont vraiment adorables et répondent à des réflexes gravés dans
Tina
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this book! I'm a huge Pern fan...reading the original series again for 3rd or 4th time...I thought I had read this one, but it didn't seem familiar at all...

I found the interactions between humans and dolphins and especially the charming childlike-ness of the dolphins just what I needed to read right now. Deep in depression lately, this book gave me a welcome respite, and brought me happy tears and many smiles. I get what others say about it not adding to the overall plot of
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
My one big problem with the book is that it is not mainly about Readis and T'Lion and the Dolphins. It is a transition book between the "traditional" Pern books and the ones that will take place centuries in the future. It is a Companion piece to "All the Weyr's of Pern", instead of really a stand alone that deals with the Dolphins. Which is really what I wanted or expected, a book about re-finding the Dolphins of Pern. This was part of the content, yes, but so much more could have been done wit ...more
Kim
Mar 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Robyn
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
25 Ara & Jayge left the northern continent because Ara no longer wanted to hear dragons. They became ship wrecked on the southern continent closer to where Cove Hold was set up than to Southern Hold with Toric. Alemi & Readis are ship wrecked in a storm and they are saved by shipfish that talk to them. Alemi learns from AIVAS tells him they are dolphins and came with the founders, they can talk and there use to be a Dolphin Hall. Readis wants to play with the dolphins but Ara refuses to ...more
Anna Wick
I've found myself mad at various dismissive people. There is an annoying and all to human tendency to dismiss young or small. The arrogance of experienced people has always been my pet peeve. Drove me nuts when my parents kept insisting that they had all ready experienced something, and it was judged bad by them and therefor I should not do it.

Love the Dolphins, always have. They are smart and beautiful!
Evelynn
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like this book was a little slow in the central plot and focused more on several conccurent stories both political and coming of age. I enjoyed all the stories although I feel that Toric should have been punished more for his attempt.
I'm glad Aramina got over her block, partially anyway. Readis's adventure reminded me a bit of Menolly's story too and I enjoyed the call-back there.
Bob
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-s, audio-cd
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't like the recording quality which was from old audio cassettes! Anne McCaffrey is one of my favorite authors and her tales of Pern are well told and always interesting.
frank griffin
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to revisit an old friend. Ann McCaffrey tells a story that is quite vivid. I have in the past and will in the future always turn to her written pages for a great story..
  • The People of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The White Gryphon (Valdemar: Mage Wars, #2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey

Pern (Publication Order) (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
  • Dragonquest (Pern, #2)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)
  • Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49