Start by marking “The Invisible Hero” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Hero

The Invisible Hero

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Philip has spent his whole life at school either being invisible or being called stupid. He’s used to being the loner, the odd one out, the boy who lives with his nan.

So when Philip’s class is given a school assignment to write about heroes and villains, the project causes conflict in the classroom as everyone weighs in on the debate.

For the first time, Philip has the op
Published August 1st 2011 by UQP

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible Hero

Caitlin
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the books I like best, it was in my school library and I read it, it is amazing, the characters are relatable and it offers a unique perspective on the term hero and villain. Throughout the book you see each of the characters develop and show their true colours. Phillip is the best character, I am also dyslexia and I found it amazing that an author could place a dyslexic character in a book and have him so real. I highly recommend this book. It is worth the read
Watermelon Daisy
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok

The Invisible Hero was a unique concept, but seemed overused by the end.

It was a little too stereotypical for my tastes. All the characters seemed to fit within a certain base and none of them had personalities/traits outside their given stereotype. We have the generous losers, the horrible popular kids, the new girl who people either hate/love, and random kids scattered around without extra personalities.

That said, I did enjoy the format of this book, although I doubt ninth graders would write
Alice
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Invisible Hero is a novel about a school class who is doing a research project about heroes and villains. Each student has to pick a hero or a villain and research them. They each have their own opinions, and views on what makes a hero and a villain, and it is fascinating to hear from all the different points of view, and it gives you some interesting thoughts on heroism. As the story progresses, we find that there are actually many heroes in their neighbourhood, and even in the school, as t ...more
Klara Louise (thatbiblioraven)
How do I write a review for this amazing, troubling, perfect and horrifying book?

I guess what glued me in first was that I could identify characters with myself, my family and my school community. The bully, the loners, the outsiders, the newbie, the happy-go-lucky and the confused. While I read this book I felt like I was at school and this was happening around me and it also inspired me into what I would like to study for my year 12 research project next year.

I recomended this book to middle a
Cheryl
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Best book I read this year. Should be compulsory reading for kids 11 years and up. I really liked the mix of characters. I think there is someone there that anybody could relate too. The writing style is eloquent but accessible. The style is similar to Morris Gleitzman. I laughed, I cried and really enjoyed myself. People will a lot about historical characters, but more importantly you learn about yourself. Fantastic!
Neisha
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the end this book became really interesting i actually enjoyed reading it, this book wasn't a book i would pick up if i didn't have to read it for school but it was a book that really opened up my eyes to a lot of different people in the world and helped me learn to respect those people in a whole new way. Another really cool thing was that it was written by a women in Melbourne that lives some what close to me. :) Definitely recommend if your looking for a heart touching kind of read.
Elegale
I remember doing this for an assignment in Year 8, and I thought I'd already put it to 'read'....

Anyway, I love this book! It was so funny and interesting. It's not just the usual bully-and-victim story; there's a lot more plot to it. I could really relate to the main character but my favourite was t
Emily
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 13-15 years old.
This was good book. It wasn't very interesting at the start of the book, but in the second half it became really inspiring. I enjoyed it as it shows you to be yourself and to stand up for yourself and that is something that some people find hard. I would recommend this book to people aged 13-15 years old.
Chantal
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is probably the teacher in me that loves this story, and cringes in many places.
Themes include: bullying, fitting in, belonging, heroes, villians, school, family, consequences, standing up for what you believe in, history.
Journal/diary entries by each character build great pictures of them and their lives.
Kavita
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rage-books
I read this book in a day, but it was so good. It is a great message for bullying and it touched my heart. I recommend it highly and it is now one of my favorites, and I hope the whole world reads it, it is honestly an awesome book.
Michael
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really clever structure; many people will be hooked into the plot-line. However, it can be very slow paced -- it is sprinkled with trivia every now and then. There's also a great, satisfying ending to this fine novel.
Garin College
Written in the form of a class's journals as they undertake research for a project on heroes and villians, this is a powerful look at both school life and bullying.
Ailish Daly
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This book really explains and lets you see into the minds of teens today. Great read. Enjoyed every bit. But found the ending a bit more interesting than the start of the book.
Lauren
Mar 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015-and-earlier
Didn't really enjoy this book that much. I might have enjoyed it more if I just read it normally, instead of having to analyse it for a term for school.
Lucie C
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This book started off slow it did not pick up until near the ending. I enjoyed reading the book in the journal format with All the different opinions.
Mrs Child
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great read and clever format. Author steadily built each character's personality and you couldn't help but dislike some and empathise with others. I think this would make a good novel study!
Harry Chester
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it was a bit confusing at first but it got really good towards the end, great book
Meg
Sabrina Morris
rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2014
Daniel Kingsley
rated it did not like it
Aug 18, 2014
Jul 01, 2017
Jj101jj
Jul 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Elizabeth Fensham is an Australian writer and school teacher. She grew up in Sydney and now lives in Victoria's Dandenong Ranges. Her first novel, Helicopter Man, won the Australian Children's Book Council's Book of the Year for Younger Readers in 2006. Miss McAllister's Ghost achieved a CBCA Notable Award in 2009. Her third novel, Goodbye Jamie Boyd, which deals with the sensitive issue of a teen ...more
More about Elizabeth Fensham