Start by marking “Complete Minimal Poems” as Want to Read:
Complete Minimal Poems

Complete Minimal Poems

Poetry. Visual Poetry. Long-cherished in out-of-print editions, anthologies and text books, and more recently celebrated on the internet, Aram Saroyan's groundbreaking concrete and minimalist poems of the 1960s are gathered together here in a single, much-needed volume. COMPLETE MINIMAL POEMS includes the entire contents of Aram Saroyan (Random House, 1968), Pages (Random ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Ugly Duckling Presse (first published May 2007)

Start your review of Complete Minimal Poems
Özgür Daş
Yayınevi bu kitaba 15 lira etiket koymuş... Her gün bir sayfasını okusa kişi okumalara doyamaz sanıyorum. ''Yazmak Ontolojik Farkındalığın En Hacimli Halidir'' mottosuyla yayın yapan Kült Neşriyat, ayakta alkışlıyorum sizi...
mwpm
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The Complete Minimal Poems brings together poems from Saroyan's various small press publications, including: Aram Saroyan, The Beatles, coffee coffee, Electric Poems, Gertrude Stein, I Am Rose, In, My Mummy's Dead, Pages, and The Rest
Eddie Watkins
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
One might be tempted (as I was) to forego buying this book as it can easily be read in the store during half a lunchbreak.

But being an inveterate booknerd book junkie I forewent 8-9 minimal lunches to plop down the purchase price. Then I indulged in a maximal lunch to celebrate (collards & mac & cheese) - dyspepsia from a soul food truck...

It can also easily be read at one's desk at work, thereby lightening up that windowless place by clearing the mind and populating it with crickets;
Jeff Jackson
Apr 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
The best of these minimal poems are conceptual and linguistic masterpieces that deserve to be printed and tacked on the walls of any museum. But perhaps because of their conceptual nature, most of the poems either work brilliantly or fall flat, making the overall collection very hit or miss for me. Richard Hell's rave review in the NY Times provides examples of some of the best poems and more information on Saroyan's project. If you're at all intrigued, this is well worth a read. The book ...more
Mark Hollingsworth
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Some good little poems.

Some fun play with sound:
"corporate pirates"

Some interesting juxtaposition:
a cartoon
of
energy

Some heightened images:
"nnausea"

My favorite (probably because it relates to another book I'm reading):
I leaps

through
my eyes

Kevin
Nov 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, weird-stuff
They're not kidding when they say minimal.
Alysa Craigie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am sorry to report that I LOVE this style of poetry. It's very divisive, I know, but I love the imagination the pages awaken!
Alex Wennerberg
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of poetry that has really gotten me excited about poetry since I read tao lin's 'you are a little bit happier than i am', which is probably the book that inspired me to write poetry in the first place. Aram writes poems that feel new and fresh to me & capture exactly what I like about poetry (its ability to express feelings, using language, in ways that non-poetic language cannot do). I found him by googling "minimalist poetry" & in conjunction with Robert Lax, who ...more
Peter Landau
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Poems as image. Poems as play. Poems that are funny and moving, sometimes almost off the page. These works transported me. They changed my perspective, my perceptions, for the better. What a difference a letter makes when there are only four of them. How strange a page is when its treated as environment.
S
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Saroyan's at his best when he allows the English language to fully reveal itself as the ugly, weird, unwieldy, and ultimately brilliant language that it is. When he gets too involved, it rarely turns out well.
Atte
Dec 24, 2017 added it
Poika naputteli (säästäväisesti) sanoja paperille 1960-luvulla. Osa näistä on melko nerokkaita.
Barry
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
A few of these poems are terrific.
But I wish the book didn't end with an idyllic vision of a bird flying by, kids screaming, and his wife doing the dishes.
Jordan
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-2018
A coworker seemed frustrated after flipping through. "How can a poem be one word?" It's a joy to read this book. Small moments of beauty and playfulness. The printed version of saying a word over and over until it doesn't mean anything, or spelling it in strange ways to say it new ways. A book I'll be revisiting often.
Pamela
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
oh oh oh oh
loved this book
laughghed and laughghed
oh oh oh oh
Adam
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I imagine the highest compliment an artist can receive is incredulousness. Creating a body of work that challenges the viewer's (or reader's or listener's, or whatever the case may be) understanding of art proves that an artist is, at the very least, being transgressive. And as we all know, progress is an inevitable symptom of transgression. Growth only occurs through conflict. Truth is only revealed at the cost of one's preconceived notions of the world. In this vein of thought, Aram Saroyan's ...more
Valerie
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: male-writer, poetry
The only poem of Aram Saroyan I read before this book is his famous poem, eyeye. I think concrete poems are fun, so I was happy to pick up this book at the Massachusetts Poetry Festival this year. Saroyan is kind of the representative for concrete poetry, or at least the most famous. I would like to look into the genre more and see if I can find modern poets doing this.

I zipped through the book quickly since there were just one or two words on most of the pages. I don't think all the poems were
Jeffrey
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite recent book discoveries. Each of the little poems in this book is no more than a few words long, but using a variety of techniques, such as misspelling, repetition, unusual juxtapositions, interesting typography (such the concrete poem), Saroyan turns each little poem into a suggestive little gem worthy of savoring, like a rich piece of chocolate in your mouth.

I kept this book by my bed for well over a year, picking it up and enjoying these little word play poems a
Andrew
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
some really great stuf in here. close to perfection but he doesn't take the minimalism far enough to enjoy just one word, or two words. sometimes the trickery (either with misspelling or punctuation) obscures the force of what one word can really be, and how it can be enough in itself. my favorite:
Not a
cricket

ticks a
clock
Regulator
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: jaimee
Ah minimalism. This is a quick, enjoyable a read. Some small moments in this book can be frustrating if you're looking for meaning, but there are a number of great haiku-like images and thoughts, and many funny poems in here. Overall, it's worth reading if you love poetry and want to see where the extremes of minimalism can take you.
The Rev. Baron Librarian
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read, best when shared aloud.
Sarah DiPascal
Mar 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Well.........this was disappointing. :(
Jac
Oct 22, 2008 rated it liked it
worth it for such brilliance as "nighght" and certainly makes you reconsider what we blindly accept and gloss over in language, but I think Saroyan maybe let himself rest on his laurels a bit
Anselm
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
lighght
Cooper Renner
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Minimal, "concrete," smart--sympathetic to Ian Hamilton Finlay and Robert Lax. Fine, fine, fine.
Jessica
Jun 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
i wish we could get away with one-line poems today...i liked "crickets" quite a bit
Mathew
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Some were brilliant. Some not so.
Brilliant:

• Cybernetic Revolutionaries: Technology and Politics in Allende's Chile
  • Manifestly Haraway
  • The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable
  • Ecologics: Wind and Power in the Anthropocene
  • A Vast Machine: Computer Models, Climate Data, and the Politics of Global Warming
  • Sensual Math: Poems
  • Guide to the Exhibit
  • Programmed Inequality: How Britain Discarded Women Technologists and Lost Its Edge in Computing
  • DICTEE
Aram Saroyan is an American poet, novelist, biographer, memoirist and playwright. There has been a resurgence of interest in his work in the 21st century, evidenced by the publication in 2007 of several previous collections reissued together as Complete Minimal Poems. He is the son of author William Saroyan and actress Carol Grace, and the father of Strawberry Saroyan.