Start by marking “The Court Painter's Apprentice” as Want to Read:
The Court Painter's Apprentice

The Court Painter's Apprentice

'Paint what you see, Johann; not what you think you see.'

This is the advice that Hugo, master portrait painter, gives to his protégé, Johann. But young Johann's talent for painting the truth runs deeper than anyone can imagine...

Johann possesses more than the power to paint a person's soul - he can alter it.
Published January 1st 2012 by Catnip Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Court Painter's Apprentice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Court Painter's Apprentice

Start your review of The Court Painter's Apprentice
Jo
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
I can't help but feel that something incredibly intelligent and profound has just gone soaring way, way over my head.

I have absolutely no clue as to what happened in those last two chapters. The writing was beautiful, though, and the idea was brilliant and I'm sure other people would appreciate it more. I think I completely missed the point.

If a Renaissance Penny Crayon painted a picture of a boy holding a copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, you'd get this book.

Huge
Edgars
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bibliotēkas grāmata. Maza, jauka grāmatiņa ar mistikas piesitienu. Ļoti ātri izlasāma. Kaut kā neviļus esmu izlasījis jau vismaz trīs grāmatas, kuru nosaukumos minēti amati, par kurām tagad tā uzreiz atceros - `Paukošanas skolotājs`, `Aptiekāre` un tagad šis `Galma gleznotāja māceklis`. Kad pērnceturtdien biju bibliotēkā, pamanīju grāmatu `Klavieru skaņotājs`, ko gandrīz vai arī savācu līdzi tieši šī iemesla dēļ, ka nosaukumā minēts amats. Droši vien nākamreiz paņemšu.

Bet par šo konkrēto grāmatu
Michelle
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was ok

Hugo is an artist who hires Johann as his apprentice, trains him, encourages him and teaches him everything he knows. Soon Johann is more skilled than Hugo and begins to accept commissions and paint pictures himself.

Johann has a gift, and is able to paint the persons soul as he sees it. Soon people flock to get their portrait painted by Johann.

The Court Painters Apprentice had so much possibility from the description alone but I thought it was just an OK read. I managed to read it in a few h
Katherine
Patiešām izbaudīju šo grāmatu līdz apmēram 150. lapai, bet tad notika muļķīgs pagrieziens, kas visu izbojāja Turklāt netika dotas atbildes uz vairākiem, manuprāt, svarīgiem jautājumiem, tāpēc arī tikai 3.
Chelsea R.H.
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This was definitely an interesting book. In my mind, it was kind of like a children's version of The Picture of Dorian Grey or Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
This book follows Johann, a young boy with a unique ability to paint portraits and in doing so, change the very character of the person he paints. This leads to an almost gothic plot which has quite an interesting climax.

A Small List of Things I Liked:
-The writing style was beautiful. Richard Knight definitely has a gift for prose.

-I loved the desc
David Ralph Williams
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely story to read. A simple, yet effective writing style. I really enjoyed it. The characters, each were so alive to me. And the idea of the story, very interesting indeed. I liked the ending, it became a little supernatural surprisingly. Simply told but I began to realise, the author was very clever at telling the story well without over being embellished. I recommend it highly.
Ifaza
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone has a Hugo in there life, I believe, I have found mine.
Anna *
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ātri izlasāms saistošs stāsts ar paliekošu dziļi filozofisku un personisku jautājumu..
Becky
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
The Court Painter’s Apprentice is an atmospheric historical novel with a mysterious twist.

The novel begins with Hugo, an elderly court painter, stopping at an inn for the night. There he spies an extraordinary drawing and asks the innkeeper if he knows the artist. The Innkeeper reveals that the artist is none other than his eleven year old son Johann. Hugo convinces Johann and his parents that he would benefit from an education in the art of portraiture and so Johann becomes Hugo’s apprentice, h
Serendipity Reviews
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at Serendipity Reviews.

From the beginning of the book I was sucked into the atmospheric world created by the author. The author has a way of making you feel like you have stepped into the story as all your senses are hit at once. The story unravels beautifully and leaves you with a unsuspecting twist that I don't think I have ever come across before. This book has a real Dickensian feel to it and reminded me a little of The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde.

My favou
Kirsty
The Court Painter's Apprentice is a wonderful little book which is beautifully told and featuring one of the most amazing twists I think I have come across in a long time.

I think Catnip's editor is spot on when she compares the writing style in this book to being like early Pullman titles. It has brilliant characterisation and a fab storyline which immerses you in the historical period in which it is set.

The story follows Johann a young boy with a talent for drawing and painting as he goes on a
Amy (Turn the Page)
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
This is an unusual story. While the writing is suited to its target audience, this short, historical novel has a sophisticated, intelligent and moralistic edge to it, that reminded me very much of the short novels I studied at school (which I used to enjoy, in case you’re thinking that’s a criticism!) I can actually see this one among them.

I was drawn to this because, as an artist, and a lover of historical novels, it sounded perfect. I can’t immediately think of any junior or young adult fictio
Maryam
Dec 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Also reviewed on the blog: http://gloriousbooks.blogspot.com/201...

This book had a lot of promise. Initially I was excited to read it since it could have been a really brilliant read but it really disappointed me.

I thought the characters were really underdeveloped for a start. The novel is pretty short so it felt like there wasn't enough time for me to get to know the characters. Also, there were some characters that were introduced and then they never appeared again so it felt as if there was a
Ieva
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
„Galma gleznotāja māceklis” mani nejauši uzrunāja laižot acis pāri bibliotēkas plauktiem – lai gan nekāda sakarīga sižeta apraksta tai nebija un neko pirms tam par šādu grāmatu dzirdējusi nebiju, intuīcija teica, ka man vajag izlasīt. Nekļūdījās.
Šis stāsts ir tikai viena vakara lasāmviela, taču uzrakstīta ļoti meistarīgi. Noskaņu ziņā grāmata līdzinās pasakai – tādai pasakai, kādas tās sākumā bija, ar tādu baiļu pieskaņu un morāli apakšā, nevis mūsdienu bērnu priecīgajiem stāstiņiem.
Jenny
A nicely drawn bit of childrens fiction set in a less common historical period, rennaissance Holland. plenty of rich detail and an enjoyable, gently creepy plot. Not too long, so a good introduction or trial run to the concept of historical fiction.
Aisha
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Strange, and creepy, but I like it, in, a, strange, way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Varsha Seshan
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This novel reads like a collection of short stories, and I like that!
Raimy
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5
Arta
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it
it had a bit of fantasy and even drama, but I thought there will be something more. Actually I am disappointed in this book. but maybe there are someone who enjoys this story. it's not for me.
Gemma Price
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it was a very quick and easy read and it reminded me of a fairy tale with the moral in the ending and the way the narrative flowed.
Nicole
Jan 03, 2016
Katie
Aug 04, 2014

• The Little Mermaid
  • The Labyrinth of Gedref (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #11)
  • The Traitor Within (The Adventures of Merlin Series 3, #1-2)
  • Valiant (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #2)
  • The Mark of Nimueh (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #3)
  • The Dragon's Call (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #1)
  • The Death of Arthur (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #13)
  • The Nightmare Begins (The Adventures of Merlin Series 2, #3)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #4)
  • The Last Dragonlord (The Adventures of Merlin Series 2, #13)
  • Fake Law: The Truth About Justice in an Age of Lies
  • The Lie Tree
  • Bridge of Clay
  • The Waler : Australia's great war horse
  • ShelfLife
  • Bitter Greens
  • The Autumn Throne (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #3)
  • Joan of Arc, and How She Became a Saint