Start by marking “The Engaged Spiritual Life: A Buddhist Approach to Transforming Ourselves and the World” as Want to Read:

By the time Donald Rothberg was in his early twenties, he knew he had two vocations. He wanted to dedicate himself to justice and social change, and he wanted to commit himself to exploring the depths of human consciousness-to an awakening of our deeper spiritual nature. It has been his life's work, as an activist, organizer, writer, and teacher, to bring these two paths t ...more
Published October 15th 2006 by Beacon Press

To ask other readers questions about The Engaged Spiritual Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Engaged Spiritual Life

Start your review of The Engaged Spiritual Life: A Buddhist Approach to Transforming Ourselves and the World
Wyndy Carr
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Here Come the Crucifiers" -- This article’s title comes from my favorite song of an all-women punk band in Minneapolis about 25 years ago, originally recorded by Exene Cervenka. With a little imagination and creativity we could have had a Women’s Equality Day total eclipse celebration August 26-27th 2017 at the (Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.) Civic Center Park; a music, peace and prayer weekend overshadowing “greed, hate and delusion;” but we were too caught up in fear and rage instead. Now ...more
Louis
Sep 14, 2010 marked it as to-read
The Engaged Spiritual Life adresses the common separation between religious/spirituality and engagement in the world. In many ways, Rothberg is writing about a spirituality based activism. Although, as the subtitle indicates, he draws primarily from Buddhism, the book is relevant far beyond Buddhism. Additionally, Rothberg draws from many world religions in developing his ideas.

Religious and spiritual traditions often get so caught up in their own agenda that they do not heed the calling of ser
Dorothy
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I had the great fortune of going on a meditation retreat at the Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, CA this past summer and my Dharma teacher was Donald Rothberg. What incredible luck that I was able to sit through his teachings and at the end of the retreat, found out he had a book! That was a pleasant surprise so I ended up making the purchase.

It is extremely well written and goes through how one can lead both an engaged and fulfilling spiritual life. You, certainly, don't have to be re
Sara
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
...started this last night--the first 50 pages moved me so! while i'm hesitant to start emailing everyone i know exclaiming, "you simply must read this book," i have a feeling such sentiment will be flowing from me soon.
perhaps each of you will be recieving this as a solstice gift from me in the near future!
*smiles*
donald's writing is approachable, pragmatic, and his praxis of spirituality and activism resonates with my heart these days.
so far, this book is presenting one of those experiences
Lisa
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: school
A couple valued pieces that I was able to take away from this book however, I felt that it lacked the connection I wanted when I read about a Buddhist approach to transforming ourselves and the world.... Basically what was discussed has been dicussed in every other Dharma book out there just in a differnt pattern.
Patrick Taylor
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
The first third wasn't anything new, but the last 2/3rds dealt a lot of with a lot of the issues I've been struggling with lately, namely how to fight injustice and not be a big jerk or consumed by self-righteous anger. Great book with a lot to think about.
Ericstiens
May 21, 2012
Ermhs Smaragdenios
Apr 14, 2014

• Ten Zen Seconds: Twelve Incantations for Purpose, Power and Calm
  • In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
  • The Life You Can Save: Acting Now to End World Poverty