Start by marking “On Silver Wings (Hayden War Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
On Silver Wings (Hayden War Cycle, #1)

On Silver Wings

(Hayden War Cycle #1)

In the future, mankind has colonized other worlds, mined asteroid belts, and sent ships so far into the blackness of space that light from their drives won't reach Earth for centuries. Through it all, life has been found in almost every system we visited and yet we've never encountered another intelligent species.
Until now.
When the Colony on the planet known as Hayden's Wo
Published September 28th 2011

To ask other readers questions about On Silver Wings, please sign up.
Robert Thompson Bad ass soldier Sorilla Aida drops from orbit to wreak mayhem, guerrilla style against a highly advanced alien occupation force. Along the way she bec…moreBad ass soldier Sorilla Aida drops from orbit to wreak mayhem, guerrilla style against a highly advanced alien occupation force. Along the way she becomes the object of interest of a highly skilled operative from another alien race. Lots and lots of stuff go BOOM! :-D(less)

Start your review of On Silver Wings (Hayden War Cycle, #1)
Mike (the Paladin)
This one slid up and down the ratings scale for me. From one point where i thought this would be a 4 start read to a spot where I tottered between 1 and 2 it was a mixed bag.

So what happened? Well we have another situation here where what should have been a fast moving tale of jungle warfare turned (at times) into a lumbering series of info dumps, character explanation and just plain..."why are we going there" interludes.

However "on the whole' the book is a (another) good story of confrontation
Christopher Kellen
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really liked this book. The influences were clear — it was quickly obvious to me that Mr. Currie is about as much a fan of David Weber as I am, right down to the penchant for Russian characters and tough female leads.

The action starts on the first page. Sergeant Aida is the sole survivor of her squadron, dropped onto one of humanity’s few colonies after it’s been attacked. She’s a great character, a hard-headed Marine who very much reminded me of a certain Commander Shepard. The ragta
Charles  van Buren

Good stuff

March 11, 2019

Format: Kindle Edition
Verified Purchase

This is a well written, fast moving military sci-fi novel with interesting characters and plot twists. However, I'm calling a foul and assessing a one star penalty for overuse and misuse of the word smirk. Smirk at some of the less civilised people I've known and worked with and they would slap it off your face if circumstances were right...or wrong as the case may be.
Laz the Sailor
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
This started out as something along the lines of Tanya Huff's Valor books, or Elizabeth Moon's Serrano, but lacking the politics of the Longknife series. I was ready to be intrigued. The concept and details of the alien race was very cool. But the writing was not very good. There were jarring examples of poor editing - "armor shod fingers", "belted her gunbelt", etc.
There were too many characters for this medium-length story. The classic variants of tough soldier, crusty olde fart, clever scient
Dan
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Pretty good, I look forward to more in this series.
Jorge Desormeaux
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
On Silver Wings is a fairly enjoyable read: it has likable characters, a serviceable premise (alien invasion of a newly-colonized planet) and basic respect for the laws of physics. It's hard not to find yourself cheering for Sergeant Aida, and some of the technology that the writer showcases—the smart guns and the powered armor in particular—have a very cool feel. It's a charming novel, and the Kindle edition was a treat for $4.

What On Silver Wings is not is really good sci-fi.

First, you can tel
Bernard
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
OK, but bad physics.

I got this book for free from a scifi giveaway. I am not too keen on military SF and it is not the kind of book I would normally buy. Then I read it. It is quite readable, though I do agree that characters are not really developed. But then, I do not always read scifi for character development, there may be other qualities. One original idea, to me, was the suicide mission (this is not really a spoiler). The emphasis on intelligence over all other war issues in the context of
Robin
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Evan I officially welcome you to the pantheon of awesome and badass military science fiction novel series. On Silver Wings was a truly magnificent addition to my pantheon. You've joined the likes of David Weber's Honor Harrington series, On Basilisk Station Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series Dauntless and Jean Johnson's Theirs Not to Reason Why series A Soldier's Duty. I loved the protagonists of this book. They're likable and crazy. The Sergeant is such a badass, the technology is well defined a ...more
IanWAA
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book belongs to one of my favorite series, I don't know how many times I've read On Silver Wings. I like to read it when I'm looking for something to read but nothing out there sparks my interests.

This is a pure military science fiction about a first contact with a very unfriendly alien race. It is told from two perspectives Sergeant Sorilla Aida on Hayden and various military forces in space.

The science fiction aspect is very well researched and has a lot of technologies that are based on
Frank
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
2.5 Stars for me

A far reaching space military adventure. While some of the plot was good, a last surviving soldier (strong character) stranded on a planet with a depleted space suit, trying to make due with a group of civilians, battling an alien force never seen., to dragged out passages which really slowed down the pace. If this book was better edited, possibly a 4 star rating would have been in order.

I have only read a handful of military sci-fi, so, perhaps this was one was not for me.
S.J. Higbee
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Sorilla and the cool high-tech toys she has to play with. I also enjoy the fact that the medical tech is also very whizzy and high-functioning so we don’t have a single soldier going up against a powerful alien enemy with a collection of serious injuries when by rights she shouldn’t be moving from a hospital bed. That’s a scenario I get a tad tired of in this sub-genre at times. Currie is careful to ensure the physical limits of his super-soldier are sufficiently realistic so that while I ...more
Todd Gutschow
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four Stars if you are into this type of SciFi

This type of military sci-fi is not for everyone. I personally enjoy it. The storyline is pretty predictable and there’s not a lot of hard science involved but the action is great and the author does a fine job setting the scenes. It’s pretty basic stuff so don’t look for anything deep here but it’s what I enjoy when I want a quick and easy get-a-away from this reality.
Sam
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Generic characters with little to no depth, and a plot whilst serviceable offers little of interest. Hostiles are painfully dumb, yet have a massive tech advantage.

If you want a Sci-fi with solid characters, world-building and a dynamic evolving plot, you will find none of these things here.
✰Christian✰
May 24, 2020 rated it liked it
My fiancee recommended this book and I actually enjoyed it. I'm usually not one for military sci-fi, if you'd even call this book that, but I was sucked into the story and before I knew it, I began to genuinely care about the characters and the predicament they were in. I did get confused when the book jumped back to the fleet. I just couldn't keep all the Generals and Captains straight, but it didn't really matter all that much because I understood the gist of what they were trying to do and wh ...more
Robert Thompson
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Strap yourself in. This will be a ride to remember.

Sgt. Sorilla Aida falls to Hayden. What she finds there, she cannot explain. As a veteran operator, she has seen action all over but whatever is happening on Hayden is a mystery. The good news. She'll get to the answers soon. The bad news. The answers want her dead, with as little molecular waste left over.

OSW impressed me with the amount of technology proposed in this book. Normally there are tons of innovations in a regular science fiction nov
Michael
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this. Fast paced, intelligent and a great read.

The editing could have been a bit sharper. -I can't believe I just wrote that, but It's true. Let me try to explain...

Essentially there are two story threads: 1. Planetside special ops. + 2. Fleet operations.

Both were well executed. I hate when the author juggles story threads and one, or a few, are clearly superior and more relevant than others which begin to feel like world building without purpose. *cough* George R R Martin *cough
Clyde
Without warning some unknown and unnamed aliens have attacked the human colony planet Hayden. Many, perhaps a majority, of the colonists have been killed, and the remainder have been driven into the jungles. The story kicks off with Sergeant Sorilla Aida, the lone surviver of a special forces unit that was dispatched to contact the colonists and find out what the hell is going on. It becomes her job to organize and inspire colonial resistance. While she is doing that, other human units take on t ...more
Gina Basham
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read the Odyssey series and like them so much I moved on to the Warrior's Wings. I was not disappointed. These novels have great characters and warning - they are not all miraculously saved. This is not a feel good, everyone makes it out alive through team work. And they are all the better for it. Very technical but not absolutely necessary to understand to get the story. I will admit to fogging over a few paragraphs which were heavy on physics and science without any detriment to the plot, I ...more
Cassandra Davis
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a great, fast-read, military sci-fi story. I loved the tech and the fact that Currie does not bother with artificial gravity on his space-ships. There were a few editing glitches, especially toward the end, but nothing that hindered my enjoyment.
I would have given this book four stars if there had been a bit more character development. I really loved several of the chracters and was left wanting to know more about them. Over-all, though, I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes
Myra
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't decided yet if I'll continue in this series or not. On one hand, it was entertaining. On the other hand, a lot of irritating little issues.

First, random orphan sentences that are like the start of a paragraph but... then nothing. The rest of the editing seemed fine but I couldn't figure these out. Maybe a formatting issue? (I read on Kindle)

Second, overuse of the word 'literally' in a redundant and inaccurate way ('they were literally forged by pieces of asteroid' or something like tha
Drobinsky Alexander
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Readable. It isn't exactly science fiction, space opera probably better characterizes series or rather "pure" fiction. Society presented in "future" isn't different from current version, economics of colonization are not well thought, aliens culture / motives are not well thought as well, as result , the nature of conflict looks extremely superficial. With minimal spoilers content of first five books could explained in following sentences:
1) Heroine survives landing, trains colonists, help to li
Tony Hinde
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF 24%

Have you ever seen those medieval paintings featuring lions savaging knights? Since the artists had never seen an actual lion, their renderings look more like mutated dogs. In the same way, this Science Fiction Military novel by Evan Currie bears little resemblance to actual science or military doctrine.

At one point a space navy captain talks about how short a time her crew could survive under 100 Gs of acceleration... for those who don't get it, the actual time is close to zero seconds.
Rob Morton
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this current time when we are celebrating women, reading this book was right on point. Soilla Aida is a special forces sergeant who literally crash lands on to Hayden, a colony planet she and her team were sent to investigate... except she was the only one to survive - her team was somehow obliterated from the skies as they dropped.

She gets back on her feet thanks to the scientist/colonists on Hayden and executes her military specialty: Take the colonists and turn them into a guerrilla force
Frances Law
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
No guts no glory!

Sgt. Sorilla Aida drops onto the planet Hayden with her team to find out why they are no longer communicating. When she lands she discovers that the rest of her team didn't make it. She then has to make contact with the colonists to find out what happened and regain communication with the fleet.
From then on she has to become superwoman! She certainly has a big job ahead of her as does the command back at Earth as they all try to come to grips with the new technology that their
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
DNF @ 55%

I wasn't enjoying this and I was finding it a bit slow going. I loved the Odyssey One series so I thought I'd try this one but I just didn't enjoy it. There wasn't anything wrong but it just didn't have whatever Odyssey One did. There are multiple plot liens that didn't really intersect and made it feel a bit scattered and the enemy is a complete mystery, and it made the war feel one sided. The story might pick up a bit when the resistance really kicks in bit at 55% I felt like I'd giv
The One Tree
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Technically believable & brilliantly scary concepts.

This has some new (to me) sci-fi ideas that are technically brilliant.
Loved the characters and the way they evolved. Would love to read more in the Sarge too.
The only thing I found was I couldn't read it when I was tired. So, it's no fluffy piece if that's what you're looking for.
It's riveting, involved and the possibilities? Endless.
Michael
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good science fiction title where the future technology is believable, and the author does a great job of getting you quickly involved with his characters and the story. The action scenes had me reading a little faster waiting to see what happened. I picked this up for free during a Kindle promotion vs. its normal price of $2.99, and I certainly received more than $2.99 of entertainment value out of it: I’m looking forward to the next installment of the series.
Brad
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
It's an okay story, but doesn't bring anything new to the genre. Rather, it's a bit of a mash up of a bunch of existing genre cliches. The characters and dialog aren't strong enough to carry the story on their own, and the story itself is a little flimsy and tired. There's nothing WRONG with any of it - it's certainly readable and moderately enjoyable, but hardly brilliant either. Basically, "this is the sort of thing that will only appeal to you if you enjoy this sort of thing"
Marcus
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about war. War that is based in the future and dealing with an unknown enemy with an amazing advantage in technology and weapons. Throw in civilians and a small elite force that is all but obliterated, except for one person and you have an idea of the gist of the story. The action builds from page one, drama and situations are totally believable, characters are well defined, and the climax is resolved in a very satisfying manner.
Roberto
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Good popcorn mil-scifi.

OTOH, would it KILL writers who create characters from a specific cultural background to spend 5 minutes vetting their names with people from similar backgrounds?

The main character is called Sorilla Aida. And she's supposed to be mexican. That's about as likely as a character from South Carolina called Skunky.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
UK Amazon Kindle ...: On Silver Wings by Evan Currie 2 38 Aug 10, 2012 11:40PM

• Relics of Eternity (Shadow of Terra, #1)
  • Deception: Ether War Book 4
  • Star Fire (Stars End, #1)
  • Mountain of Mars (Starship's Mage, #8)
  • Debt of Honor (The Embers of War, #1)
  • Star Rage (Stars End #3)
  • Fatal Fringe (Ether War, #1)
  • Delphi Station (Delphi in Space #3)
  • Starship Sakira (Delphi in Space #1)
  • Delphi City (Delphi in Space #2)
  • Forsaken (Ether War #3)
  • Delphi Nation (Delphi in Space #4)
  • A Line in the Sand (The Frontiers Saga: Part 2: Rogue Castes #14)
  • Star Kill (Stars End, #2)
  • Last Sentinel: Ether War Book 5
  • Earthers (Silver Ships #15)
  • Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)
  • Delphi Alliance (Delphi in Space #5)

Hayden War Cycle (8 books)
  • Valkyrie Rising (Hayden War Cycle, #2)
  • Valkyrie Burning (Hayden War Cycle,#3)
  • The Valhalla Call (Hayden War Cycle, #4)
  • By Other Means (Hayden War Cycle, #5)
  • De Oppresso Liber (Hayden War Cycle, #6)
  • Open Arms  (Hayden War Cycle, #7)
  • Border Wars (Hayden War Cycle, #8)

News & Interviews