Start by marking “Sacrilege: Finding Life in the Unorthodox Ways of Jesus” as Want to Read:
Sacrilege: Finding Life in the Unorthodox Ways of Jesus

Sacrilege: Finding Life in the Unorthodox Ways of Jesus

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  229 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Missional expert challenges the all-too-familiar religiosity found in many churches and helps readers re-envision authentic faith by presenting an unvarnished picture of Jesus.
Published October 1st 2011 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Sacrilege, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacrilege

Melodie
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Jesus was the radical of his time. He set the religious community on its ear, breaking rules right and left. His message of love and inclusion for all was sacrilegious, and ultimately cost him his life.Fast forward to our time and it's hard to even find the real Jesus and his teachings in the dogma driven churches of today.
I found this author and his views refreshing. His blend of humor and biblical principle captured and held my attention. His call for some Jesus based sacrilege resonated, requ
Kimberly
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Having heard Hugh Halter a few times, many of these stories and perspectives were not new to me. What I found again was that I completely agree with Halter in his basic stance that Jesus was eminently sacrilegious. The Church has taken Jesus' radical approach and sanitized it so it no longer looks or sounds so egregious. Yet the fact remains that Jesus was throwing the entire religious community on its head. We need more than a bit of that throwing if the Church is to have a voice and impact in ...more
Amy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perspective changing on missional living and community
Rick
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2012 is starting out really well as far as my book choices. Last week I reviewed Dug Down Deep by Joshua Harris. I thought this was a good place to start a year because it laid a foundation of truth.

Then I jumped right into Sacrilege by Hugh Halter. I must admit, the title had me scared a bit for what I would find inside. But you know what they say about judging a book by its cover. So I jumped in anyways.

And...

I say jump in with both feet, my friends. What Hugh basically does is to break down t
Thelogo
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sacrilege is a book out to answer one question: What does it mean to be like Jesus? The premise of the book is that Jesus was sacrilegious (that is, he de-sacralized, treated as not holy, things which had been treated as holy) and as his followers we ought to be as well. To explain what he means by this, Halter follows in the steps of the likes of Bonhoeffer and Dallas Willard in centering his answer to the books question on the beatitudes, with lots of practical advice and personal stories alon ...more
John Foster
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this one does live up to its name. Honestly, I found Hugh's work refreshing, practical and more reflective of the heart of Jesus for people than most I've read. The truth is, it wasn't as sacriligeous as I thought it might be. But maybe that's because I've moved more than I thought away from attractional churchianity and toward missional living. His stories are funny, insightful and revealing for those brave enough to confront the "pharisee" in all of us, especially those like me who grew ...more
Pathway Midland
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it took me a few months to read this book, I greatly enjoyed it. Halter takes the beatitudes and expands on each. He explores what Jesus actually calls us to despite the fact that society and the institutional church may have corrupted these callings. Basically, some things that Jesus calls us to and how Jesus lived, may have been sacrilious to those on the inside of institutional religion. Jesus pushed against the religious leaders of his day by breaking from way of doing things and pu ...more
Curtis
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missional
If you're current understanding of what it means to be a follower of Jesus, isn't some how tested, challenged, angered, inspired or stirred up by reading Sacrilege; then I question if you actually read the book. If you're open to having your present understanding of being a Jesus-follower come under any of the above, I suggest you buddy up next to this book and enjoy the ride; for it's bound to happen.

Not only is Sacrilege full of Twitter-fodder, it's full of life giving encouragement as you so
V Lynn McCabe Jr
"Whereas religion only calls you once, apprenticeship is continual. You'll hear the ongoing clarion call daily. And over your lifetime there may be twenty times you sense the call cutting you to the core of your self-absorption and self-reliance. These calls will cause you to walk the plank of faith again. You'll feel God's loving gaze revealing aspects of your life that limit his ability to use you, and you'll watch him clean those up and get you ready for service. You'll find your faith taking ...more
Greg Johnson
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Few writer's are more conversationally engaging than Hugh Halter. He's heavy on story, but not light on theology. I've never had a book I could hand off to anyone along a faith journey (in or out of the faith) that explains the ways and character of Jesus as well as this book. Highly recommended for the spiritually disoriented, or the Christ follower looking for more reality in how to follow Jesus.
Stacey
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, dmin
I don't think I'm the intended audience for this book. Halter seems to think he's saying controversial things, but, for me at least, he isn't. I don't disagree with his arguments, I just don't find them as shocking or challenging as he seems to think they are. I also disliked the tone of the book, which I found a bit too casual and self-focused.
Rachel
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Christian books of all time.

Great quote: "Every word Jesus said and act he did smashed the spiritual, religious, traditional, and pop idols of his day. False kingdoms were exposed, false motives were laid open, false teachings were confronted, and every person he touched came away confused, intrigued, perplexed, or changed."
Bruce Baker
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure about this author's perspective at first, but grew to appreciate it. For me the book got better as it went. Fresh ideas about following Jesus and the purpose of the church. Glad I have it in The Hills library.
Lindsay Tweedle
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hugh Halter continues to challenge and inspire me. I love his approach to church and discipleship. I find such grace and love in his words and his life. Halter helps us see how unorthodox Jesus' words really were, and what they can (and should) say to Christians today.
Eliza
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author rambles a bit. He definitely promotes a confrontational style to living a full Christian life. Read it as part of lesson prep.
Tonia
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Cori
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very, very thought provoking on how "church" and "legalism" pull people away from God & Jesus. We are all seeking God and He can be found anywhere at anytime with anyone.
Shawna
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this. If all Christians lived like this, people would get a more authentic look at Jesus.
Mary McManigle
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
What would Jesus really do? I aim to get more caring with every day and this was a good wake up call for what to let go of and what to bring more of into my life.
Cheri
Jul 20, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Rec by Jen hatmaker
Sary Fairchild
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book that makes you look at what it is to really follow Christ. Our lives will indeed be unusual.
Jen Raknerud
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love ~ best book I have read in a long time if you want to rid religion from your faith!!
Mark Perkins
Very challenging in many areas. Liked his take on communion.
Janine W
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ROCKED my world view. I would recommend this to every Christian I know.
Vaudeth
This book was a refreshing look at how a follower of Jesus has to live.
Eneri Troncoso
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book! ❤ ...more
Seejeniferrun
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a life-changer. Straight Jesus, people! Read it.
David
  • The Colors of Hope: Becoming People of Mercy, Justice, and Love
  • Compassion, Justice and the Christian Life: Rethinking Ministry to the Poor
  • The Weight of Mercy: A Novice Pastor on the City Streets
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
  • Mud and the Masterpiece: Seeing Yourself and Others Through the Eyes of Jesus
  • Gospel-Centered Discipleship
  • 66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God That Invites You into His Story
  • Half the Church: Recapturing God's Global Vision for Women
  • The Land Between: Finding God in Difficult Transitions
  • The Cost of Community: Jesus, St. Francis and Life in the Kingdom
Hugh Halter is a pastor and popular author of numerous books including Flesh, The Tangible Kingdom, And, Sacrilege, and Primer. Hugh and Cheryl are presently enjoying the spoils of empty nest living but love to use their ranch as a haven of celebration, hospitality, and friendship to the lost and least on the south side of Denver.
More about Hugh Halter...
“We buy into the saving work of Jesus big-time, but we dodge his words and his life as prototypical for the authentic Christian life.” 1 likes
“This is a deeply sacrilegious book, and I expect that many will find it offensive. But I think that they will be offended in the right way; that is, the same way that Jesus offended people. Part of the mission of Jesus (and by extension his church) is to relieve us of the intolerable burden of our neo-pharisaic religion. I call it neo-pharisaic because it is just a new manifestation of a disease that has always plagued people of faith—religion! Religion is comprised of laying burdens on people’s shoulders, hypocrisy and double standards, gracelessness toward “sinners,” high-minded judgmentalism, straining at gnats and swallowing camels, externalization of faith in religious ritual, and not being pure in heart, among other things.” 1 likes