Start by marking “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” as Want to Read:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

On a quiet fall evening in the small, peaceful town of Mill Valley, California, Dr. Miles Bennell discovered an insidious, horrifying plot. Silently, subtly, almost imperceptibly, alien life-forms were taking over the bodies and minds of his neighbors, his friends, his family, the woman he loved—the world as he knew it. First published in 1955, this classic thriller of the ...more
Published April 6th 1998 by Atria Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Invasion of the Body Snatchers, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sir Gawain
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Glenn Russell

The Body Snatchers - What a extraordinary reading experience. Much of the fascination in turning the pages derives from the reader knowing this is a novel of science fiction - watching as the men and women eventually discover the body snatchers are aliens from outer space, hardly a give away as even the movie and more recent publications of the book carry the title Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

The eerie atmosphere is established within the very first pages when the narrator, Dr. Miles Bennell
Jason Koivu
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
Wow, this was waaay better than I expected it to be! Hurray for pleasant surprises!

I expected pure pulp. I figured this was a toss-off, dime-store sci-fi novel that benefited from the success of two film versions. I haven't actually sat down and watched either the 1956 or '78 movies (though I have seen The World's End, the Wright/Pegg loose take on it), so the plot hadn't been fully spoiled and reading the book would provide some surprises and a bit of entertainment. I got that and more!

If Invas
Ken
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1950’s Sci-Fi Classic certainly evokes the time period of small town America from whence this novel was originally written, but the chilling paranoia of infiltration still resonates today.

The reader is instantly thrust into the story as Becky Driscoll explains to Doctor Miles Bennell that her cousin Wilma’s uncle Ira has been acting strangely.
He appears to be himself, but it’s he’s characteristic traits are different...
Human emotions is very central to the story.

I love that the invasion had
Stephen
2.5 stars. Now before you think I am about to go all RANTBO on this SF classic, let me say almost mostly partially unequivocally, that I did not DISLIKE this book. I mean I don't recall ever having a meltdown moment like this while reading it:
Photobucket
It’s just that.........WAIT.........back up, I have mispoken as the above is not exactly true. There was one point in the story where DoctorDanny Kauffman, amateur physicist and apparent moron, tells our narrator that the sunlight...SUNLIGHT...shining on
emma
If there are any aliens reading this who are looking for a body to take over, hmu. Living is hard and I am ready to hand over that responsibility to some other life form. I will not (repeat: NOT) attempt to save the world through any self-destructive means necessary like these buffoons.

Just let me know.

Anyway this book was mildly entertaining but had a really awful boring female character (read: love interest) who almost never did anything except to cling to Our Hero's elbow and, like, make him
Carol
When my son called last night and asked what I was doing, I told him I had just finished reading Invasion of the Body Snatchers and was thinking of going down the basement to look for seed pods......(he cracked up)

I think everyone pretty much knows this story, and oh what a blast it was reading this sci-fi novel from the past. This super fast-paced work was so much better than I thought it would be and had a far different ending from the movie version I remember. If I was not already familiar wi

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
One of the most original SF novels I have ever read - the undercurrent commentary on socialization and identification of 'otherness' should put this book on the shelf of anyone studying social science.
Char
4.5 stars!

An excellent story and this narrator, Kristoffer Tabori did it justice.
Joe Valdez
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Invasion of the Body Snatchers landed in the bi-weekly fiction magazine Collier's, which published Jack Finney's story as a three-part serial over consecutive issues beginning in November 1954. Finney had already seen thirty of his short stories run in Good Housekeeping or Collier's, but the response to what was at that time titled The Body Snatchers was huge. At no point since has the "pod person" not been a part of our vernacular, with four feature films and countless spoofs and homages to rem ...more
Apatt
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-80s-sf, horror
“Grey-haired Miss Wyandotte, who twenty years ago had loaned me the first copy of Huckleberry Finn I ever read, looked at me, her face going wooden and blank, with an utterly cold and pitiless alienness. There was nothing there now, in that gaze, nothing in common with me; a fish in the sea had more kinship with me than this staring thing before me.”

*Shivers* Just the thing for Halloween! For my month of spooky reading, it is nice to be able to include a sci-fi horror title among the supernatura
Jim
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, horror, 2fiction, 1audio
This is a real blast from the past & held up very well over the years. Sure, there are a few real liberties taken with science, but the doctor making house calls was more jarring to me. That was pretty much gone by the 1970's when this futuristic story was to take place, but otherwise it wasn't too dated. There were a few science elements that really strained my suspension of belief, but I found it easy enough to roll with them for the story's sake.

I've read this before, but it's been decade
Dirk Grobbelaar
A pretty sinister book, this, containing some really creepy moments. It also happens to be written quite well, so, it goes without saying that I enjoyed it. Another forerunner of modern horror, The Body Snatchers, along with I Am Legend, pretty much set the stage for modern paranormal horror a la King, Koontz and co. Both of these books happen to be in the Science Fiction Masterworks series, as well.

There is some oddball science in here, but come on! It was written in the fifties, and still carr
P.E.
Some trove from the 50s and its brooding obsessions!
First-rate immersion thanks to the dialogue which feels like one in some good ol' corny Hollywood script! :)
Annelies
A terrifying story about alien life that takes over human beings but with always a little sprankle of hope and perseverance that humankind can be saved. Suspenseful read.
ALLEN
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
THE BODY SNATCHERS (the longer title came later) first appeared as a serial in the general-interest magazine COLLIER'S in 1954, then was published as a novel the year later. In 1956 the movie version appeared, the first of several. As a book, BODY SNATCHERS is more influential than outstanding in its prose and composition. When it first appeared, the mysterious "invading force" was seen as a metaphor for the depersonalization of Soviet Communism; two decades later for gentrification, as in the 1 ...more
Leslie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We have met the enemy and he is us" Pogo (Walt Kelly)

I have seen the original version of the movie and the 1977 version of the movie and let me tell you the book is actually scarier. This is a book about fear and apathy. The kind of fear where you are paralyzed with indecision, where you recognize your own insignificance in the world and where you recognize danger of some sort but are powerless to stop it.

Apathy is in the actions of the main character. He is among the first to hear that people
The Behrg
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
― Jack Finney, Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Invasion of the Body Snatchers was one of the first "scary" films I can remember seeing in my youth. It's always been one of my favorites, from concept to story arc to not knowing 'who's good' or 'who's bad,' there's so much to enjoy here. As such, I'm surprised it's taken me this long to read the actual novel.

First off, the writing i
Jamie Stewart
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve always loved the concept of normality that is slightly wrong. It’s disturbing on a level that creeps under your skin and fester, that’s certainly what I experienced in reading this horror classic. The only reason it doesn’t achieve a 5 star for me is that the characters aren’t at the level were I was reading to learn about them or how they were reacting to the situations within this book instead I was reading for the concept and because of how close the film adaptation is to the book.
Bill Lynas
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the years I think that I have seen every film version of this sci fi story and they range from the superb (1956 & 1978) to the good (1993) to the poor (2007). Finally I've read Jack Finney's original story & I am amazed at how great it turned out to be. The tension he creates is incredible & the dialogue between the characters pulls the reader into the story & makes an unbelievable situation seem very credible. What a classic.
David Cordero
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Great sci-fi story. If you're looking for that 1950s pulp fiction-Dell publishing kind of story, you've got it. I wish I could write a story like this. The feel of it, the characters, the small town nostalgia. Excellent novel. Awesome read.
Tim

Ah, 1950s science fiction mixed with a touch of horror... you know what that means don't you? Cold war paranoia of course! For a genre that is now established as fairly progressive, 1950s science fiction was practically a source of propaganda for the cinemas. The "keep watching the stars" and the "observe your neighbors because they might be pod people" mentality... because of course the stars were Russia and the pod people were those commies. Every proper American knew it... right? Hell, the on
Ben Winch
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, american, anglo
I love this story. In neither film nor book version is it perfect, but there's the kernel of something here that seems to me a modern archetype - something like Camus's The Plague but with the added intrigue that the plague in question is - or almost is - invisible. Add to this the nostalgic 50s Northern Californian small-town setting and the sense of a vanishing culture and you have something truly haunting. As to the book itself, it's workmanlike, well-crafted, warm-hearted and, though it empl ...more
Lori
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read 10/23/14
4 Stars - Strongly Recommended for the campy fun of it
Pages: 216
Publisher: Touchstone
Released: originally published in 1955

The other night, I was standing in front of my bookshelves looking for a quick read to curl up with. Something seasonally appropriate that wouldn't mush my brain or try my patience too much. And that's when I saw the yellow and white spine of Invasion of the Body Snatchers staring out at me. To be honest, I'd forgotten that I even had this book. But suddenly, it
Simon
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, sf-masterworks, horror
Having not seen the film version though still having a vague idea what it was about, I was pleasantly surprised by this story. Thoroughly engaging and exciting right from the start, it is one of those books that draws you in, pulls you inexorably on and spits you out at the end.

This book tells of a kind of insidious horror that would leave us helpless, paranoid about our closest friends and family and questioning our own sanity. If someone you know looks the same, talks the same, remembers every
The Book Scourge
This was definitely better than what I anticipated, since I already seen The World's End which is a funny, loose take on the Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Even though I may have seen most things a mile away due to the movie, the story remains to be very creepy even up to this day. While in real life, there's no chance friends and families bodies are taken over by aliens, it is however, really unnerving to feel that their demenor or behavior about them may feel "off" since, we are all creatures ...more
Larry Bassett
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I listen to this as an audible book which was delightfully and excellently read. It is the story from the 1950s that is far as I can remember I have never experienced. Probably because there is maybe no moral to the story other than man is able to solve any problems that he faces. Or maybe that you should never give up. I loved listening to it.
Tristram
”’We called you, Miles, because you’re a doctor, but also because you’re a guy who can face facts. Even when the facts aren’t what they ought to be. You’re not a man to knock yourself out trying to talk black into white, just because it’s more comfortable. Things are what they are with you, as we have reason to know.’”

Sounds like our protagonist, who is also the first-person narrator in this story, is quite an exceptional person in his readiness to face reality at all costs, even if this means s
Sandy
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although Don Siegel's 1956 film "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" has long been a favorite of this viewer--it is, most assuredly, one of the genuine sci-fi champs of the 1950s--it was only very recently that I finally got around to reading Jack Finney's source novel. The occasion was Simon & Schuster's 2015 release of the book's 60th anniversary edition, with a most interesting foreword by author Dean Koontz. Actually, Finney's novel had originally appeared serially in 1954 in "Collier's," a ...more
David
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small-town Californians, divorced psychologists, pod people
Another one of those classic novels that inspired multiple cult-classic films, but have rarely been read by the people who saw the movie(s).

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a classic "B" movie, and this book is a classic "B" novel. I was not blown away by it, but it's a decent page-turner. Also, it gets extra credit for creating many of the tropes that are now old hat in sci-fi.

Set in Mill Valley, California, the protagonist is a psychologist, recently divorced, who sees several patients in suc
Otherwyrld
Considering that this book has been filmed no less than four times since its publication in 1955, it is surprising that the original isn't better known. Certainly most people will be aware of the gist of the story - alien space plants come down to Earth and start replicating people with a view to taking over the planet - but many people will be vague on the details.

The story is simply and tensely told from the point of view of a local doctor in a small town in Northern California. There is a mo

• The Shrinking Man
  • Rogue Moon
  • This Is the Way the World Ends
  • Planet of the Apes
  • The Midwich Cuckoos
  • Unquenchable Fire (Unquenchable Fire, #1)
  • Downward to the Earth
Mr. Finney specialized in thrillers and works of science fiction. Two of his novels, The Body Snatchers and Good Neighbor Sam became the basis of popular films, but it was Time and Again (1970) that won him a devoted following. The novel, about an advertising artist who travels back to the New York of the 1880s, quickly became a cult favorite, beloved especially by New Yorkers for its rich, painst ...more
“The human mind searches for cause and effect, always; and we all prefer the weird and thrilling to the dull and commonplace as an answer.” 8 likes
“If we believe that we are just animals, without immortal souls, we are already but one step removed from pod people.” 6 likes