Start by marking “Tilt” as Want to Read:
Tilt

Tilt

Stan is an intense sixteen-year-old loner who desperately wants to make the junior varsity basketball team. And it seems that he may be about to do so, until heOCOs blindsided by the unexpected attentions of Janine Igwash. Suddenly Stan is no longer thinking about jump shots. Instead he is obsessed with JanineOCOs spiky hair, her milky white shoulders and the mysterious li ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Groundwood Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tilt

Kwoomac
Really 3.5 stars. Stan was an incredibly likable average teenage boy. Popular enough, talented enough, smart enough. My favorite scene took place when a teacher called him out for talking during class. Teacher asked him to explain himself and Stan used the opportunity to apologize to a girl he liked, for his fumbled attempts at talking to her on the phone. "Stand up." Mr. Stillwater's eyes never left Stan. Maybe this wasn't going to pass after all. Stan rose uneasily. "What does everyone know?" ...more
Emily
Feb 12, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stanley is a normal teenage boy, struggling with constant erections and erotic fantasies of his crush, shooting hoops and playing cricket with his best friend. His home life isn't so hot, his mom and her boyfriend not really paying any attention to Stan or his little sister, Lily. Stan is responsible for keeping the family together, for making them seem reasonable on the outside.

When Janine, his crush, asks him to a dance, he wonders why on earth she would ask him. His best friend, Matthew, tel
Courtney
May 25, 2017 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I finished is “Tilt” by Alan Cumyn. When I got this book at the school library, it’s under sports when it should be love instead. Anyways this book focuses on a boy named Stan. He is a basketball player and wants to join the junior varsity basketball team. Throughout the book, Stan loses interest in basketball and his mind is now on this girl named Janine. She captures Stan’s attention with her wild colored hair and her tattoo that peeks through her shoulder. Later in the book she notic ...more
Andrea
This book wasn't bad. I had a great deal of fun with Cumyn's "The Secret Life of Owen Skye" and I was expecting a similar feeling from this book, but I didn't get that at all. I mean, I did find this book an easy read. It didn't take me long to get through it, and there were definitely parts where I felt like I didn't want to put it down, but it wasn't amazing.

I liked Stan as a person, though I suspect he's much more sensitive and decent than your average sixteen-year-old boy. His interactions w
Katsumi
Dec 13, 2011 Katsumi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To read the original review along with others, go to http://www.myteenreads.blogspot.com

Stan is your average sixteen-year-old guy. He wants to make the JV basketball team and has a huge crush on Janine, who is supposedly "tilted" and a "gwog" (aka a lesbian). He lives with his mother and his younger sister, Lily ever since his father abandoned them when Stan was young. His father shows up one day with Stan's half-brother and things get confusing.

I really don't have a lot to say about this book.
Samantha Boyette
Jan 10, 2012 Samantha Boyette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I wasn't expecting much from this book, but it was great! A lot of YA books like this can read like a bad episode of 90210. If Cumyn keeps this up I'll put him on my list of must read YA books, like those from John Green.

Stan's life changed five years ago when his dad walked out on them. Now it's about to change again over Janine, a spiky haired girl with a tattoo who people say is a lesbian. But if she is, why is she paying attention to him? All this confusion is compounded when his dad reappe
Saleena Davidson
Tilt is the story of a boy struggling with the complete chaos his life has become....his mom is drinking too much and leaving too much on his shoulders...his dad left.....he has a crush on a girl that his friends say is a lesbian.....and he desperately wants to make it onto one of the basketball teams (though the cancellation of JV Basketball has destroyed that dream). So, when his father waltzes back into his life along with his half brother, Stan is completely overwhelmed. I really enjoyed get ...more
Kelly
Stan's family situation is gritty and tough emotionally for him, and his release from this is sexual fantasy. It makes sense in context of the story and actually works on some levels, but the problem on the whole is lack of character development. Stan doesn't change, though he acts upon his dreams at the end, and I felt like Janine was flat, flat, flat (she was "tilted," slang for lesbian, but she ends up sleeping with Stan...and there's never any emotion ringing from here on any of this).

The s
Jenn
Jan 06, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not a book I could recommend to my Middle School students, I did enjoy Tilt and the crazy world of Stan and his friends and family.

The book is quite brave in its discussions about sexuality and the general angst of being a teenager. Janinie is not like any other character you will have read about in YA fiction, and Stan is a very funny (albeit quirky) character;you are never quite sure what's going on with him. That is, unfortunately, part of the problem of the novel. There seems to be an
Martha Schwalbe
I liked the main character, Stan. The situations going on around him were 100 percent believable. His life seemed realistic. I had one problem with the book, Stan seemed perceptive and insightful. Do 16 year old boys like Stan exist? I didn't grow up with any, I've never worked with any, and I've never taught any. I am curious if this book will have the boy appeal I hoped it would when I picked it up.
Although Stan thinks about himself he considers and is considerate of others, even at his own ex
Kress
Nov 04, 2015 Kress rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One word comes to mind as I think about Tilt: REAL.

Cumyn writes the way real people talk--where one person is carrying on one conversation while the other person talks about something else entirely. He unpacks the messy truth of sex and love and how the two get tangled up with EVERYTHING for the teenage boy. He addresses how sexuality and choice can be both natural and deeply confusing. And, he explores how our desires and beliefs can change in a second.

Cumyn is also master of the metaphor. The
Cory Snider

This book is definitely a tale of 2 halves. By this I mean the first half of the book is somewhat slow paced and rather mild. The second half the pace quickens and so does the language and the scenes. I had high hopes for this book, but it really fell short of my expectations. It is as if two different authors wrote this. I was expecting more basketball and less "love" story. However, it was just the opposite. The book is certainly valuable to teenage boys going through some difficult times, bu
Linda
Jan 24, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like that this book was told from a male's perspective. I love to root for the underdog & so I really liked Stan. His home life wasn't great, he was dealing with male puberty issues and all the awkwardness that goes with that, he liked a girl who was taller than him... And, he made some questionable choices, yet he was so likable. I just wanted him to make the basketball team, fix his family and get the girl.
Mrs. Bradshaw
Nov 05, 2013 Mrs. Bradshaw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I knew I probably wasn't going to fall in love with this book, and I was right. I read this to recommend to my boy readers who are my toughest group to reach. I thought I'd bait and hook them with the basketball and sex that run throughout this plot line, but now I'm not even sure.

Like 90% of YA Lit, this book has waaaayyyy too much going on. I'd have liked them to simplify the plot a bit and richen the characters.

I can't think of even one student to recommend this to. :(
Gabrielle Prendergast
I enjoyed this book very much. I really loved Stan's character and the manic writing style suited his frame of mind. It was very frank about the, ahem, biology of being a 16 year old boy too, which was by turn funny and sad, sometimes both.

My only complaint is that the basketball aspect of this story felt a bit tacked on.
Kellee
This was an interesting book. I had trouble at first with the way the author wrote, it felt scattered to me, but like most other things, as you read you get used to it. It is a pretty honest look into what it is like for a 16 year old boy trying to find himself. The book combined family trouble, girl troubles and sports trouble and did so pretty well- you rooted for Stan all the way through.
Sonya
Apr 30, 2012 Sonya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
basketball playing high school boy meets strange, intoxicating girl while parents are fighting about everything and his half brother. picks up about half way in when things start to happen such as: in the pouring down rain, the boy and girl kiss. she runs away. he tries to get to the bottom of what it all means.
Anna
Nov 14, 2011 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oddly evocative of Kate Chopin's "The Awakening" in it's dreamy tale of sexual awakening amidst familial & life strife, this one won't appeal to every reader, but for those looking for something a little different, it'll surely suffice.
Kimberli Heck
Jul 14, 2012 Kimberli Heck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Great characterization of a 16 y/o boy....sensitive and hormonal....yet real. Loved the spastic family...great read.
Galion Public Library Teens
Review by C.W.: "It was poorly written. There were not any good describing words, it needed more detail."
Christina
Jun 11, 2015 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It felt very realistic and gave me one perspective of what a teenage boy going through puberty might experience.
Lisa
Jul 22, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funniest teen sex scene ever, right up there with the BJ in Finding Alaska. And that's not the only good reason to read this one.
Meg Wiviott
Jul 25, 2011 Meg Wiviott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vcfa
An excellent and honest story from the perspective of a 16-year-old male protagonist. Well done.
Amy
LOL ....

So cute;)

The crooks and crannies of adolescence.
Rad
Jan 29, 2012 Rad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading a lot of good books this year.

Also, this isn't quite as racy as you may have heard.
Missy
Finally a well written, truthful novel of what growing up must be for a young man in the 21st cent. Read my share of first sex from the male perspective but this one hits the mark.
Debbie
Aug 12, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book but so not for my 5th and 6th graders. I am think high school would be an appropriate level.
Kristen
Aug 19, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kind-of-long
ehhh...
Livingston Arts
Livingston Arts rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016