Start by marking “Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Shadows (The Adrien English Mysteries, #1)

Fatal Shadows

(The Adrien English Mysteries #1)

One sunny morning Los Angeles bookseller and aspiring mystery author Adrien English opens his front door to murder. His old high school buddy (and employee) has been found stabbed to death in a back alley following a loud and very public argument with Adrien the previous evening.

Naturally the cops want to ask Adrien a few questions; they are none too impressed with his ans
Published May 1st 2007 by MLR Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Shadows

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon Suede
The Best of Gay Romance
3,002 books — 3,262 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Favorite Gay Couples
2,760 books — 3,621 voters

More lists with this book...

Lenore
I'm surprised by how much I liked this. It was slow and it dragged a little and the mystery was a bit sloppy and the villain was meh and Adrien's inner monologue could be irritating—if you let it.

But still, I can't describe how much I loved the writing. I now understand why some people claim they would read the telephone directory if a certain author wrote it. Well, when it comes to m/m crime/mystery/romantic suspense, I'll read whatever Lanyon writes.

And, by the way, Detective Riordan! Oh, Dete
Loederkoningin
2015 After an embarrassing number of rereads, I've decided to up my rating from 3 to 5 stars for the first book, because I can't view this book separately from the rest of this fantastic series anymore anyway. So, there.

2013
Isn't it nice to root for a male lead who is such an adorable cookie? The 32-year-old Adrien runs a little bookshop in LA. Getting his hands on rare detectives makes his heart beat faster (ah, the effect books can have on us book nerds!). Speaking of Adrien's heart; it does t
Argona
I'm writing this review after finishing the entire series. I have to say I went back and rated every single book 5 stars. What can I say, this series has officially joined my all time favorites, Adrien and Riordan making it into my most favorite couples. Forever!

These books might not have such complicated mysteries and for some people, they might drag a little, but after finishing the entire series, I don't have the heart to give anything less than 5 stars and I can't exactly rate each book sep
Lena♥Ribka

I know I know, I'm a bit too late with my excitement and my new discovery of a F*CKING ADORABLE COUPLE!!

But better too late then never, right?

So...A late reading has it's advantages also.

I knew already before the reading:

That it is one of the best MM series we have.
That it is one of the best MM couples we have.

I just need to add:

Josh Lanyon is one of the best MM-writers EVER.
I LOVE his writing. LOVE IT!

Do I need to say more?????????????????????????

I ask myself: WHY FGS have I waited so long
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

A mystery with almost no romance whatsoever and very little sex content? For me? Oy, this book was so not my thing... in theory. But I surprisingly enjoyed it and the promise of what's to come is making me itch for more. I think the fact that this was an excellent audiobook really helped its case. In fact, it is well worth continuing with the series just to hear Chris Patton speak.

All in all, a promising start to a series I will hopefully come to love.
Anna  (Bananas!)
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Five stars for being effortless and entertaining, slyly funny and utterly charming. This is true comfort reading.

Adrien is our amusing gay antihero, a simple guy who owns a bookstore that specializes in mystery novels. He's also a murder suspect. Policemen Chan and Riordan arrive on page one to question Adrien about the murder of his childhood friend and employee.

The mystery isn't terribly complicated yet it's still engaging. I was never certain of the identity of the killer and once it was re
Wendy
p214.4-out-of-5-stars.png (800×146)

After re-reading this one yet again... I figured it was time to finally write a review for it as well. I also changed my rating. I normally don't do this, but I have re-read and enjoyed this series so many times already that a higher rating is definitely deserved ;)

That said, this first book is my least favorite of this series. This is usually the case for me, when I start a series, because the first book is always more of an "introduction" into the series. The second reason that this is my leas
Martin
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
O.M.G. The very first Lanyon mystery?
I stayed away from that series for a very long time, even though I've been a huge Lanyon fan for several years, simply because I'm usually too lazy to start a series that consists of so many novels.

Finally giving myself a shove and reading this very early Lanyon, where people still held phone receivers in their hands that were considered modern if they had a caller ID display, I noticed once again what I love about Josh Lanyon's work: A hot but complicated
Simone
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***5 Stars for the audiobook***

Chris Patton did an amazing job with his narration and reminded me of how much I love Adrien-with-an-e and what an a**hole Jake was most of the time.

#BooksEvokingStrongEmotionsAreTheBest
Rosa, really
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: FUCKING EVERYONE - what's wrong with you? (JK <3)
Update 4/30/14 - Editing all my reviews of this series in preparation for writing my review of The Dark Tide (YES, I KNOW I TAKE MYSELF WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, THANK YOU - and NO I don't know why I can't write a review without acting like I'm Gustav FUCKING Flaubert). I can't seem to write it 'cause I just don't want this series to be oveeer! *sob*
***********************************************************

March 28, 2014

I love the noirishness (hope that's a word) of this novel.

I love that Adrien owns
~Mindy Lynn~
I think this is my third time around with this book. I think I enjoyed it more and appreciated the story telling more. I really do love Adrien. He's one of those character's that you just feel like you could totally be friends with. Well, I could be at least.

Riordan really frustrates me with how he see's a homosexual relationship. Or how there can't be one. In his eye's it's OK to fuck a man but a relationship with one is out the question. He is gay and homophobic all rolled up in one. Frustrat
Macky
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Adrien English series is a must read if you love your m/m. In fact Josh Lanyon should be in your library somewhere. Ok it's more of a slow burner than some but that's what makes it so enjoyable. I love the way these two guys dance around each other all the way through the series. Great underlying murder mystery and I say winner and keeper. Magic!
Breann
3rd reread, second time in audio.

******************
Adrien, Adrien, Adrien.

You might not scare yourself to death, but you just might do me in.

This was a reread (or listen) for me, I know Adrien is too curious for his own good but I didn’t remember him being so STUPID!

Anyway, I loved this. I just love Adrien to pieces and he’s one of my favorite narrators. His POV is just a pleasure to read and I don’t know if I’d get tired of it.

During this reread of the series I’m going to try my darndest n
Ingie
Written May 26, 2014

4.3 Stars - not much of a romance but wildly fun to 'hear'... and breathlessly thrilling

Book #1

I just finished my listening to the first part in the series about Adrien English by Josh Lanyon. Kind of highly "hyped" M/M books as many readers here 'talk' about. This is also books my wise (missed) friend Vio recommended me long ago.

Five and a half audiobooks hours later:

Jeez, Yahoo, Yeah!! - I'm just like a nerdy out of time, "Thriller" dancing girl (se below). ~ What an 'un
Katerina

Re-read in October 2018 with Chris Patton. So great. Perfect audio.

Perfect reading pleasure. Great humor. I love Adrien :)
Susan
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it

Ummm...yeah...so this books was...surprisingly boring.

Semi-interesting lead character
Forgettable secondary characters
Blah, blah, blah storyline
And I skimmed almost the entire book until I got to the final 20% when the mystery arc finally reached it's pinnacle and I was forced to pay attention.

With that being said, I'm still hopeful that since this is the first of a series, the author was just setting everything up for the sequels. I'm giving book 2 a try, but if it doesn't pick up the entertainm
Wynne Katherine
May 07, 2018 marked it as maybe-i-ll-come-back-to-this

Despite this series being one of the M/M book gods, I shall be skipping this one thanks to my darling Shile for letting me know that there will be no romance whatsoever in this book.

So. Being a romance freak that I am, I refuse to put myself through hundreds of pages of no romance.

And I was so excited to start this one too.

*le sigh*

--------------------------------------------
Pre-reading :

There are only a handful of M/M books that has been recommended to me time and time again. These kinds of
Jenni Lea
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Natasha
Shelves: 2013-sh-november

What a great start to a series! I loved Adrien! I didn’t love Riordan! A bunch of people died. A bunch of other people lived. There was a mystery. And a Hollywood-esque HFN ending. And there was too sex in this book. I was sucked in and now I have to read the rest of the series. Like, right now. I feel sorry for all my other books that I have to read because they are just going to sit there until I’ve finished with the entire series. And possibly Josh Lanyon’s other series. And his stand-alones.
Shelley

So pleased I finally picked this up (thanks for the push Anna) I finished it in one sitting, and was very tempted to start the next straight away.

I’ll be honest and say I’m not reading this series for the murder mysteries thing, I’m reading (and reviewing) it for the (hopefully) romantic relationship development between Adrien English and Jake Riordaan.

I find that these murder mysteries leave me confused and frowny faced (not good for the wrinkles ya know) distracted and bored. I’m about as lat
Sofia
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

I like the start of this series. I liked Adrien and the fact that the overall story is probably a slow burner. I like slow burners and Lanyon can write, JL is not a showy writer, the writing is quiet, subtle but it creeps upon you and grabs you. At least she has gathered me into her web and I look forward to more and more of her stuff.

There are hidden depths to Adrien. He's coasting along thinking his normal humdrum thoughts than all of a sudden these images come up in his mind and it's totally
Ariana
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
It has only taken me years to finally get here.
I admit the reviews who mention 'lack of romance' put me off, and I found myself shying away from Adrien English again and again.

Well, it is true - there is no romance in book 1. There is a bit of static electricity between the two men, I would say, and an interest, an attraction on Adrien's side, but as for Mr. Riordan ... he remains a bit of an enigma, so when he kind of 'goes after' Adrien at the end, it seems to come out of (almost) nowhere.

And
Deeze
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deeze by: v
I thoroughly enjoined this first introduction to Adrien English. As usual my deduction skills left me out of the loop till nearly the end, but I did manage to figure out who done it a fraction before I was told lol.

I loved that this book was based on story not instant love/sex. The murder mystery theme is not my first choice, but I’m now eager to read more of Adrien and his mysteries.

I’m also extremely eager to read more of Jake. There was no real love interest in this book, although the seeds
Eli Easton
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finally got around to reading this book that I've seen floating around the m/m community for ages. It's beautifully written, and I loved the setting and the characters. I guessed the killer very early on, but that didn't bother me. The book kept me reading by its sheer pull and easy readability. There's really no romance in it except a bit of dating with a guy who isn't the right guy. I'm more interested in seeing Adrien and Jake's relationship progress than I am in more mystery plotlines. But ...more
Marte - Thunderella
I've been on a Josh Lanyon (audio) spree these last days, finishing among others Winter Kill and the three All's Fair books. I love a great murder mystery!

I've heard a lot about the Adrien English series, and I found that I really enjoyed it. I liked Adrien with an e. I'm not so sure of Jake. Based on what I've heard, I'm prepared to be pissed at him in these books. This was a great murder mystery with an amateur sleuth and a prickly cop. Not much romance, but it's there in the background. Kinda
Josh
Jan 30, 2008 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own-work
My first mystery novel. Re-edited and revamped.
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Read-along with Christina & Angela
Welcome to my world, “Adrien-with-an-e” English! With a quiet, intelligent, lonely, witty-with-a-dash-of-smartass charm, Josh Lanyon’s introduction to the Adrien English Mystery series stole my heart and smiles. Pour me a cup of tea or hell…Adrien’s Ovaltine with a shot of whisky brew! I’m hooked! :D

This crime mystery hits close to home and heart for bookstore owner, author, and amateur sleuth, Adrien English when one of his oldest friends is found brutally murdered in a Los Angeles alley. From
Jenni
Love, love, love.

That’s me, just discovering the greatness that is Adrien English. And Jake Riordan (oh, la la). Am I late to this party? Hell yes. Do I feel like I’m just now digging on cupcakes, 10 years after they became the sweet treat to eat? OF COURSE. But calm down, y’all, ‘cause I’m here now, front-and-center on the Adrien English/Josh Lanyon bandwagon.

Who knew I was a sucker for a good m/m mystery? Not me. But Adrien makes this fun. He’s snarky, slightly self-deprecating, a little bit
Natasha
4.25 big beautiful stars!

Naturally, a home-run produced by my favorite author, Josh Lanyon.
I've been meaning to read this book (series) for a while, and well, it started off with a bang.
I'm a total sucker for the classic WHODUNIT's and Lanyon also produces great results.

I laughed a lot, said "WHAT THE SHIT?" a lot, and squealed like a pig at some of the awkward conversations/situations, and I loved every second of it. (view spoiler)
Josy
I forgot how much I love Adrien and how much I enjoyed the narration of this audiobook! On to the next book in the series.
The Challenge Fac...: Jennifer C, Melissa, Ezi - Fatal Shadows 33 23 Sep 10, 2013 08:12PM
Goodreads Librari...: wrong book cover 1 34 Nov 25, 2012 02:31PM
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run, #4)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Like Coffee and Doughnuts (Dino Martini Mysteries, #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • First You Fall (Kevin Connor Mystery #1)
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • Shades of Gray
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi

The Adrien English Mysteries (6 books)
  • A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
  • So This is Christmas
“Vintage books, old china, antiques; maybe I love old things so much because I feel impermanent myself.” 68 likes
“Drink your coffee -- people in Africa are sleeping.” 62 likes