Start by marking “The Scent of Apples” as Want to Read:
The Scent of Apples

The Scent of Apples

Libby has an idyllic life on an apple orchard and is close to her grandfather, a cider maker. When he dies in a freak accident, Libby is devastated. She finds it difficult to talk to her parents about her feelings as her mother seems cold and her father says little.

Grieving, angry, and feeling distant from her parents who are struggling with their own relationship, she
Published August 2011 by Huia Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Scent of Apples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scent of Apples

Start your review of The Scent of Apples
Annie
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Scent of Apples was well written and descriptive, the whole time I was hooked. It had a sprinkle of Kiwi in it which I liked and it is one of my favourite books. I rate this 5 stars.
Kathryn
A lot of people I know really liked this, but as someone who has gone through a couple of bouts of depression I just found this book too close to the bone and had to give up.
Josie Laird
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
The agony Libby feels when she is left alone with her grief seems very real. I wanted to shake her parents, and make them pay more attention to her.
The atmosphere at the boarding school seemed a bit antiquated. I thought there would be more pastoral care these days.
Sophie Tse
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Review

'The Scent of Apples' is a deep, touching, true New Zealand book.
I decided to read this book because i was looking for a New Zealand book in the library to fill in the last box of my bingo board. As soon as i picked this book up and read the blurb i knew i was immediately hooked.
The box this book completed on my bingo board (the very last box!) was the 'A book written by a
New Zealander' category.
My favourite quote from this book was when Libby was talking about how disappointed she was
JenniferGribben
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was the book i have wanted. It was a page turner that made it agonizing to put down. Suddenly finding that obsessive disorders come in different shapes and forms. This book made self respect a thing of realization and letting go. The scent of Apples, for me, was a book to cry over. As you have to sink or swim in order to move on with your life.
I choose my rating for this book as a five star, it made me think about myself and relate the book back to my life and experiences that i had
Rachel
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
this book should have thousands of readers and an award! what is wrong with you people?!
the scent of apples is unputdownable, but very, very heavy in content. Not many people can handle death, self-harm, injury, blood and heartbreak all in the space of a short read. It's a very compelling tale though, with great descriptions. I would recommend it if you like reading new zealand books. Also, this book reminded me of the song Blue Jay Way. but then again, that is probably just my inner crazy
Tania
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. The setting is beautifully rendered and the characters, engaging. I don't remember the last time I became so involved in a book. It made me cry and was very hard to put down. This is a must read.
Lisa Busch
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read, best book I've read in along while, extremely hard to put down, i even lost sleep over it :-). This book is a must read.
Jude
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
A great debut novel, wonderful characters, would highly recommend.
Stephanie
WONDERFUL BOOK!!!! I REALLY ENJOYED IT.
YOU CAN ALMOST SMELL THE APPLES
TRUELY BEAUTIFUL BOOK.
WELL DONE JACQUIE !
Joanna
May 19, 2013 added it
Very intense!!! Packed with drama and emotion, and actually the author doesn't waste a single page!!! Still a very good book though. :):):)
Donna Blaber
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Beautifully written. One of the best books I have ever read even though it made me cry(!). I will be watching out for this author's next book. Let's hope it's published soon.
Benedict Reid
Jun 08, 2013
Tara
rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2013

• Hopewell High: Like and Share (High/Low)
  • Do You Speak Chocolate?
  • These Shallow Graves
  • The Goldfish Boy
  • Can You See Me?
  • Scars Like Wings
  • The Snow Angel
  • Pick Your Poison (Ruby Redfort, #5)