Start by marking “Caribbean Literature and the Public Sphere: From the Plantation to the Postcolonial” as Want to Read:

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  5 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Bringing together the most exciting recent archival work in anglophone, francophone, and hispanophone Caribbean studies, Raphael Dalleo constructs a new literary history of the region that is both comprehensive and innovative. He examines how changes in political, economic, and social structures have produced different sets of possibilities for writers to imagine their rel ...more
Published October 17th 2011 by University of Virginia Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Caribbean Literature and the Public Sphere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caribbean Literature and the Public Sphere

Purple Iris
This is an interesting book. Lots of stimulating ideas, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it. For one thing, the first chapter makes it seem like a literary public sphere was or should have been necessary to slaves taking their freedom. And I'm still not convinced of the necessity or usefulness of a Caribbean-wide periodization. But I want to keep reading. I'd love to take my time with this, but I borrowed it, so depends on when the owner wants it back!

Well, I'm into chapter two... It's int
Misnomer
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Highly interesting. It cannot be said Dalleo has not done his homework. Brilliantly researched. This work is not only good to learn of Dalleo's opinion on interrelationship between the public sphere and the literature produced, but it is even better as a gateway to a lot of other Caribbean theorists. He also critiques a lot of Francophone and Hispanophone literature I had not read before and was not aware of.
It's a great text for anyone doing a thesis on Caribbean literature as it will give you
Jeremy
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
A model of comparative literature and a contribution to the understanding of Caribbean postcoloniality (as opposed to postcolonialism, according to Dalleo's definitions).
Kylie