Start by marking “The Hindu-Yogi Science of Breath” as Want to Read:
The Hindu-Yogi Science of Breath

The Hindu-Yogi Science of Breath

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  496 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
This is a manual of the Oriental Breathing Philosophy for physical, mental, psychic and spiritual development. William Walker Atkinson (1862 - 1932) was an attorney and is also known to have been the author of the pseudonymous works attributed to Yogi Ramacharaka.
Published September 22nd 2009 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Hindu-Yogi Science of Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hindu-Yogi Science of Breath

Bernie Gourley
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
I got this book as a Kindle freebie. It’s made available for free because it’s in the public domain, not necessarily because it was so bad that the author couldn’t even get people to pay $0.99 for it. It was written by an American named William Walker Atkinson, who also went by the pseudonym of Yogi Ramacharaka. Atkinson was an American who lived in the latter 19th and early 20th century, and authored more than 100 books. If you’re wondering why you’ve never heard of an author this prolific, it’ ...more
Gaurav
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The intention of this book is straightforward and well. It might not serve as the only reference guide for this topic but surly arouses once interest to discover it further.
I personally am inclined to follow a more authentic book for this topic rather than one which talks about things without going to much depth. Though its not a bad thing if it intends to reach someone who is new to this, but for someone more advanced might like to read something else.
At least, its a nice read.
John
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short introduction to pranayama yoga. Although I have been doing yoga daily for almost 45 years, there were parts of the book that were helpful. I liked his exhaustive treatment of the complete yogic breath and this was well explained. Also, the introductory chapter gave a good overview of the physical side of breathing. The weak part of this book was that it was very short on detail and made one wonder if this work was a rewrite of a more exhaustive treatment by someone else. It was w ...more
Danny
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a variety of breathing techniques, especially advocating breathing through the nose, and provides scientific reasons and also some sort of metaphysical explanation for why the techniques work. For his time (written in 1903), Atkinson provided much more information about the physiology of breathing than I would have expected. Then again, I am no expert in physiology so I can't judge the accuracy of his descriptions fully. The physiology and breathing technique chapters are inte ...more
Scott
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction

A straightforward, for once, introduction into breath and some exercises. Author did a good job referencing other material without leaving reading confused.
David Griffiths
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a long time since I read this book.A version of it is available as a free pdf. file down-load.I have the 22nd edition 1960.I aspired to read it in 1973-4.I use the word "aspired" because I needed inspiration.
If you are searching for something you cannot quite put your finger on,
this book might dispel some myths you may have about yoga or the yogi.
One thing is absolute-the breath.When we are born,we stay alive because we all breathe.
I didn't know the author was an Englishman but having rea
Nick
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book on breathing -- for the voice, for health, for just about anything you want or need. It is written in lovely old-fashioned prose, but you'll get used to that quickly, and get past it. The basic message is that health and long life come from good breathing, not to mention a whole host of more esoteric things like healing other people and joining up with the Universal Consciousness. But you don't have to subscribe to the esoteric practices in order to benefit from the very en ...more
Claire
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-yoga
The language used in this book is basic (and also dated using terms such as Oriental and Occidental).

The first half of the book gives rise to simple anatomy and raises a reader's awareness into the four most prevalent types of breathing, while the second half of the book focuses on breathing/healing/meditative exercises.

A little occult-ish. In general a quick read. It provides good insight into how our method of breathing can affect our well being.
Ad Astra
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great practical, as well as introductory book. The points are short and concise, with plenty of exercises and guidance. As a singer for most of my life, I think I've learned to gain the spiritual benefits of a western practice. (Not that singing is a Western practice, but the content and music I have sung comes from a lot of old Anglo-Saxon influences). Blending spiritual focus with a physical practice, this book broadens your view of the use and practice to breathing.
Bert Carson
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yogi Ramacharaka is the pen name of William Walker Atkinson who wrote advanced esoteric books at the turn of the last century. ATkinson was very prolific. I've found all of his works to be worthwhile. Mystic Christianity is my personal favorite. Here's a quote from Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism that gives an idea of his direction. "Unless we understand something about the nature of God, we cannot understand anything about the nature of the Universe or of Life."
Cathy Thomas
Not really science, and very holier than thou. The disdain for western culture and it's scientific contributions and accomplishments is woven throughout the entire book. Its good to be grateful for life giving breath and our bodies. It's also good to learn to use that knowledge to maximize our health and mindfulness. However, the author's approach was demeaning and spiritual, not scientific.
Contrail Storey
If you're into absorbing the prana or the vital force, then this is the manuscript that thoroughly instructs One on the matters of proper breathing, in addition to lung expansion and rib cage stretching techniques. The ancient hermetic/yoga instructions given here truly expand the resonant field.
Andrew Maggs
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: esoterica
This book is a wonderful resource on breathing techniques to improve general physical, mental and spiritual health and ties in very nicely with what I have been learning as a Rosicrucian. I guess at the end of the day almost all spiritual knowledge comes from the same basic source.
Misha
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on breathing and how correct breathing can be a gateway to true health. Complete breath is so important as is breathing through our nose rather than mouths! I love this book. Have read it many times.
Paul Bard
Aug 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The philosophy is the science of mind and the physical culture is British Imperial military training techniques.

It was not written by a Yogi but by an American theosophist, William Walter Atkinson.

I suggest Dr Weil on breathing work.
Aziz
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and concise. Most importantly, the 'full breath' is very clearly explained. To me, it is the most important part of the book. Be consistent while practicing the full breath, it is a game changer.
Angela
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
keen!
Todd
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant.
Vikram Bhambhu
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compendium of Indian Spiritual literature. Elucidates complex spiritual theories by means of simple involuntary process of breathing.
Karen
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book on breathing that I have found. Just the Yogi Complete Breath will change your life. Literally: The life in your body will liven and change.
Nancy McKinley
Jun 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish it would have been this book I read instead of the one I did, perhaps I'll look this up sometime!
Joleen
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!!
Karen
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book actually taught me how to breathe. I have read a lot of material on breath, but this one is the best. A life saver.
martin
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is an important little book on how to breathe properly, though the esotericism tends to lean toward the pompous side
Michelle
Jul 02, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Science of BREATH that is:) recommended to everyone!
Shelley
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrition-health
Fascinating read, but didn't quite finish it. Breath is definitely more important than is ever realized and can imbue your entire body with health. It is cultivating the awareness of your breathing.
Elijay
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Read fourteen lessons and know a bit about yogic breathing and pranayama first.
Brittany
Very helpful!
Bjarte
Dec 06, 2014
Miss D J Rush
Mar 07, 2016
  • The Chakras (Quest Book)
  • Studies in Occultism
  • The Reality of Being: The Fourth Way of Gurdjieff
  • AHA!: Being Liber CCXLII
  • The Four Foundations of Mindfulness in Plain English
  • Progressive Witchcraft: Spirituality, Mysteries, and Training in Modern Wicca
  • Kindling the Celtic Spirit: Ancient Traditions to Illumine Your Life Through the Seasons
  • Ayurveda and the Mind
  • The Art and Skill of Buddhist Meditation: Mindfulness, Concentration, and Insight
  • Real Alchemy: A Primer of Practical Alchemy
Pseudonyms: Theron Q. Dumont, Yogi Ramacharaka, Swami Bhakta Vishita & Swami Panchadasi

William Walker Atkinson (December 5, 1862 – November 22, 1932) was an attorney, merchant, publisher, and author, as well as an occultist and an American pioneer of the New Thought movement. He is also known to have been the author of the pseudonymous works attributed to Theron Q. Dumont, Swami Panchadasi and
More about William Walker Atkinson...

“BREATH IS LIFE.” 1 likes
“Strong expectancy is a powerful magnet. He of the strong, confident desire attracts to him the things best calculated to aid him —” 0 likes