Start by marking “Too Young to Die (Melissa & Jory, #1)” as Want to Read:
Too Young to Die (Melissa & Jory, #1)

Too Young to Die

(Melissa & Jory #1)

At sixteen, Melissa Austin has always worked hard to make things go her way. As the school year begins, her grades are up and she's even landed a coveted spot on the high school Brain Bowl team. She and her best friend, Jory Delaney, are determined to have the best junior year ever.Then suddenly Melissa must face some devastating news about her health. At first she refuses ...more
Published July 7th 1989 by Laurel Leaf Library (first published July 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Too Young to Die, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Rebecca McNutt
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although the topic is rather morbid, this book deals with themes that unfortunately many people have to think about at some point, and it's a well-written book that may help young adults experiencing illness, grief or loss to deal with their own emotions.
Sheetal Dash
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful it shows the power love can have. In this book you can get the feeling that life can be bad but it can have good sides if you have love. This is the only book I've read about someone with cancer and it taught me so much I didn't know. I admit I didn't buy this book for educational purposes but once I got reading, I really enjoyed the book. This book wasn't just about what a family goes through when a relative has cancer or it doesn't just go on about hospitals and facts ab ...more
Book Magic
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I read this book ages ago, but I wanted 2 re read. As I suspected this book held the test of time for me, showing that life, despite its hardships.. always moves forward. It's how you approach the movement that determines your life and yourself...
Karley
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s really good it just didn’t have that good of an ending
Megan Kinderman
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love her books.
Emily
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
YA lit has come a loooong way since this 1989 gem. Thank goodness! I had to choose a Lurlene McDaniel paperback to read for class so I chose this one. I always stayed away from them when I was 12ish because I thought they looked too depressing. This one wasn't so much depressing as boring. But again, at the time it was published it was probably filling a niche! On a side note, I'm pretty sure Lurlene is using the same author photo from the 80s in her recently published books.

Here it is :)
http:
Amanda
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lurlene McDaniel has written another powerful novel about a life changing event in a young persons life. In this book, after Melissa finds out she has leukemia, she struggles to accept it at first. Eventually, after coming to terms with it, she fights hard to survive and still achieve the goals she had before the diagnosis. Along the way, relationships are strengthened and stretched to the limits.
McDaniel does an excellent job showing and forcing the reader to feel the characters emotions, strug
Michelle
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was about how Melissa found out that she leukemia. Her family and her best friend Jory had helped her and supported her. Melissa is a very strong and agressive girl who wants to do her best in everything. After an event that happened, Melissa slowly realize or understand what she really wants and needs.
I like this book because I can relate to it because I have a best friend that always supported me. Especially this year, when I had a hard time and she was there for me and allowed me to
Christian Singer
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even though the subject matter of her books is intense, Lurlene McDaniel crafts stories that make you feel as if you know the characters and care about their illnesses and struggles. So far I haven't read a book of hers I wouldn't recommend.
"At sixteen, Melissa Austin has always worked hard to make things go her way. . . . Then suddenly Melissa must face some devastating news about her health" (blurb from the back cover). What must it be like to have everything going for you and big dreams for
Michelle
Oct 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 8th grade/freshman
Again, i loved this book. It truly showed the bond between a high school girl and her family and friends. Melissa is easy to relate to and pulls you in with her unique personality. Again, i have to congratulate Lurlene McDaniel for another masterpiece. This book is compelling, interesting, and educational. If you know someone that doesn't like to read I'd recommend this book. It's THAT good!
Yang
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advisory-08-09
This was a very sad and touching story. The protagonist, Melissa, finds out that she has leukemia but she didn't want to believe it. Melissa gains a lot of support from family and friends and creates a great bond with them. This book has made me think about how fragile life is and to appreciate the time you have to spend with family and friends.
Kianna
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
this book was really touching. it was so sad how she just woke up one morning with a life that wouldnt be the same anymore. having cancer and leukemia is nothing to play with and i know what it feels like to have to go through that.
Staci
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Once again Lurlene McDaniel has a perfect book. She is a wonderful author. She pleased me in every book i have read so far. If you haven't read this book I recommend it! It is for people who like sad stories. It is sad but then it begins to become happy.
Totallydauntless
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I first picked uyp this book I thought it would have the typical storyline.A girl gets cancer, she gets better,she falls in love,and then she dies.But that didn't happen This book is sooooooooooo awesome.:)
I Read
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: illness
I read this book quite a while back and the fact the it has stood out in my memory is proof that it was a good read. I found it interesting and sad discovering what life with cancer is like. Recommended.
Colleen Rue
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book hit close to home,as I lost my best friend Jessica when we were both 16 to bone cancer.I also read the second book about Melissa and Jory.Both are great.Reading both books brought back memories,both happy and sad,of the times Jessie and I had spent together.
Jen
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember much about this book, but I remember LOVING it!
Brittany
It is an amazing book and that everyone is too young to die
Bri Hogue
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids who may be going through the same thing
Dawns life turns out of control. when she was 12 years old and she found out she has cancer. She thought her life was perfect but that day turnd out to be the worst day in anyones life.
Marina
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
this book is amazing! I would definitely say this was lurlene McDaniel's best.
Nov 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
I love Lurlene McDaniel, she is my favorite author and i love all her books.
Clare
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Also sad
Geeth
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-library
One of my favorite authors as a kid, I decided to revisit some of her books. The story was not too bad, but I think she has better novels out there.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I loved the plot and characters of the story. This was a heartwarming and heartbreaking book. I can't wait to read the next book.
Melissa
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this when I was in middle school, probably cause the main characters name was Meliss, but it was an amazing book and I loved it..its stayed with me all these years.
Traceylee
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why

I loved it one of my favorites. A teenager who got cancer a nd still goes to not give up and reach her goals in high school.
Gabrielle Short
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My second favorite book in the universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've read it three times in the past couple months.
Aubrie
Jul 06, 2008 added it
This is a great book to read you will go through all the emotions of happy to sad
  • Izzy, Willy-Nilly
  • When the Dolls Woke
  • Silver (Sarabeth, #1)
  • Dear Lovey Hart, I Am Desperate
  • Flight #116 Is Down!
  • Final Exam
  • The Surgeon's Secret Baby (Hopewell General, #2)
  • No Time to Die (Dark Secrets, #3)
  • Get a Life (Clearwater Crossing, #1)
  • Leaving Home (Sweet Valley High, #38)
  • I Am Fifteen--and I Don't Want To Die
  • California Girls! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #5)
  • Prom Dress
  • Outcast (Sons of the Dark, #3)
  • Secret, Silent Screams
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...

Melissa & Jory (2 books)
  • Goodbye Doesn't Mean Forever (Melissa & Jory, #2)
“We all didn't come into to the world at the same time so it makes sense that we don't leave it at the same time.” 135 likes