Start by marking “Ducky” as Want to Read:
Ducky

Ducky

When a violent ocean storm causes a crate holding assorted plastic tub toys -- including one resilient little duck -- to wash overboard, the course of Ducky's life alters drastically. This engaging story based on a real event includes an author's note.
Published May 24th 2004 by Clarion Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ducky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ducky

Susan
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Taj, age 4: I love this book, I want to keep on reading it. The one where he got washed away was my favorite.
Krista
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Possibly the best opening line I've ever read: "I am a yellow plastic duck and I am in great danger." Based on a true story.
Kari Whitesell
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever viewpoint, telling the tale of a rubber ducky in a crate with hundreds of other bath toys, on the deck of a ship sailing the ocean. The crate falls overboard and shatters in the water, scattering all the bath toys. The rubber duck tells of his hardships and his inabiity to swim, only being able to float. Fearful encounters with sharks, big waves, and loneliness precede his washing up on shore and being found by a boy.
Jeff
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, easy-reads
This story is about a duck who gets stuck in the ocean and ends up being found on the beach. It has an adventure that gets lonely but the duck ends up with a friend overall.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Life can be quite uncertain. You think you are all safe and secure headed to your destination with the ones you love. And then wham. Something hits you from out of the blue and throws you for a loop. But this duck was given everything it needed to survive when it was made. And even though sometimes the journey was lonely and sometimes the journey was scary, the journey ends joyously in the end. I think our lives are like that too. We were given everything we needed to survive as well. And we are ...more
Lynn  Davidson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story is based on a true incident that occurred in 1992 when a crate filled with 29,000 plastic bathtub toys was lost in a storm at sea. After that, toys kept washing up on beaches in many different places. Scientists have been using this information to learn about currents, tides, and winds.

Ducky was lost at sea. Fortunately he could float, but he eventually found himself alone and afraid. He is subjected to all sorts of weather and water creatures until someone finds him on a beach. It's
Mike Romesburg
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Final Project" - Author Study: Eve Bunting

"Ducky" was a very interesting story, actually based off true facts. A ship containing thousands of bathroom toys were in route from Hong Kong to the U.S. until the boat overturned and the toys were jarred loose. Even though not all of the toys were found, several of them were.

Continuing, this story mainly provides the message of facing adversity. Ducky starts in the ocean with all of his friends around him, until suddenly they begin disappearing. Befo
Shanna Gonzalez
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
In 1992, a crate of 29,000 rubber bathtub toys washed overboard off a ship bound from Hong Kong to Washington, USA. Hundreds of toys have since been found in coastlands around the world, shedding light on our understanding of how currents, winds and tides interact. This book traces the story of one bathtub toy from the time its crate boards the ship until it is found by a boy in Alaska. The story draws young readers in by personifying the toy as if it is experiencing its journey as a sentient cr ...more
Julia Jasztal
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy's review from 7/10/10 -

I'm going to list this as fiction but it should be said that this is based on a true story and it seems to follow very closely. In 1992 a crate carrying slightly less than 30,000 bathtub toys washed overboard after leaving Hong Kong in route to Tacoma, Washington. Many of the toys have washed ashore and been found off the Eastern coast of the Gulf of Alaska and it's expected more will end up in the Artic Ocean and the North Pole. Scientists are using this to learn m
Kandice Buck
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ducky is a book about a duck who is in a crate with other toys on a boat. This crate falls off a boat and is opened up into the ocean. The duck is scared of the ocean and the animals that live it. He is rescued by a boy and is very happy to be a bathtub duck.This book is based off of a real life event. It has an author note at the end to tell the story that this book is based off of.
Dawn Little
This was a great book! I've finally had a chance to read it after reading about it for many years! I see the possibility of using it as a mentor text for idea development, as well as point of view. The beginning line is a great model for hooks when teaching organization! Additionally, I used it to teach beginning, middle, and end of a plot to kindergartners.
Mary
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't win a Caldecott award. I wonder what beat it that year? Very intricate, colorful illustrations made out of paper. The story is a fascinating true tale of a crate of bath toys that went overboard and were found along the coast of Alaska. I enjoyed this book as much as my kids did.
Garrett Ellis
I would greatly suggest this book not only for the awesome illustrations and story line, but the historical story behind it! This would be a great story to introduce a section about the ocean to younger students! What an awesome historical line to this story!
Miss Erica
GR Level: K

Elementary: E BUN

This book is based on a true even that happened in 1992. Ducky and his bathtub toy friends fall of a ship and begin floating in different directions. Ducky feels lonely, until . . .
Mrs. Ambler
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't available in our school library or in the public library but it is my favorite picture book ever. I really need to find it to buy!!!! If you ever see it you should stop and read it.
Wrigley
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The author s a really good author. Its worthy of reading. The quality of writing is really good. It's from the character of the duck and it really gives you the feeling that the author wants you to feel - that you are the duck.
Amy
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
This is a very cute children's story about something that happened several years ago. Many of these bath toys washed up on Pacific Northwest beaches, so my niece, nephew, and I really enjoyed reading this book.
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, children, storytime
I love the pictures! Cute story that follows a rubber ducky through quite the adventure.
Lara
A fun book to use in the science classroom in elementary school.
Emily
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-lp
Story of a cargo crate of bath toys who are lost at sea. Eventually Ducky finds his way to land and a new owner. Based on a true story. Very cute and the paper illustrations are adorable!
Debby Baumgartner
Picturebook historical fiction that brings to life the story of ship containers being lost at sea because of a story and dumps out plastic bath toys that travel the Pacific Ocean.
Erica
Sep 29, 2011
TG
Aug 23, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The