Start by marking “Dog Breath” as Want to Read:
Dog Breath

Dog Breath

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A comfy dog bed, a red rubber ball, a favorite bone: a collection of images left behind stirs up memories, both poignant and humorous, of a child’s best friend. This lovable, rambunctious dog will steal your heart just as easily as he once stole bites of food from the table or a whole birthday cake—candles and all—off the kitchen counter.
Published November 15th 2011 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside

To ask other readers questions about Dog Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Breath

Laura5
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
My 7 year old was quite confused about what happened to the dog in this book. We had to talk a lot afterwards for him to make some sense of it, and he has experienced the death of a pet.

The death is inferred and not stated, and much of the story is told with a conditional type of past tense. I think for those two reasons it is not clear without a lot of guided help for younger readers.

This would be a good picture book to use with older elementary for an example of "voice" or "ideas" for 6 trai
Joe Stolp
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Despite being a very sad book I felt this story was great. This was the story of a child telling the story of his lost dog, now Im not sure whether the dog had run away or had passed away. The story uses great description of the childs memory of the dog and focuses alot on the positive memories the child had of his pet. I feel this would be a great story to use for young children to help either cope with losing a loved one or explain that even those these terrible things are bound to happen they ...more
carissa
"A comfy dog bed, a red rubber ball, a favorite bone: a collection of images left behind stirs up memories, both poignant and humorous, of a child's best friend."

Before reading this book, I didn't realize it was about the death of a family dog - I'm glad I read the book because I probably have recommended this to someone looking for pictures about dogs. However, now I'll save it for those who need a good book about the death of a family pet. It was a sweet story with nice illustrations.
Robin
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junebug-s-books
This tale is about losing a loved pet and memories of that stinky, mischievous, bothersome creature. Made me hug my dogs and appreciate all of their stinkiness and bad manners. Junebug and I will reserve this book for special occasions (i.e., when it's needed).
Dawn
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book induced many interesting stories about crazy things dogs we have loved have done.

At the end of the book one of my students suddenly said, "Wait. I think that was a sad ending. Do you think her dog is dead?"

We had a good discussion about inferring after that!
Pamela Hubbard
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had to modify like crazy for my 2 year old (who picked it up off the shelf and insisted on reading it)...better suited for older children.
Nitza Campos
Shelves: storytime-books, dogs
I may change this to 155.9 *tears*
Elisabeth
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and sweet but not syrupy. Cheerful undertones and this book gets you to a place that I would hope all of us could get to after experiencing loss.

Juliette
Aug 02, 2012
John
Jan 28, 2012
Hannah Jane
rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2014