Start by marking “If Only They Could Talk” as Want to Read:
If Only They Could Talk

If Only They Could Talk

(All Creatures Great and Small #1)

For more than 25 years, James Herriot captivated millions of readers and T.V. viewers with tales of the triumphs, disasters, pride and sometimes heartache that filled his life as a vet.
Published 2006 by Pan Publishing (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about If Only They Could Talk, please sign up.
Calliope If only they could was published in 1970

Start your review of If Only They Could Talk
Pramod Nair
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Alfred Wight, the British veterinary surgeon and writer, is renowned for his semi-autobiographical works written under the name 'James Herriot', which chronicle some of the most amusing moments from his life as a veterinarian. His reminiscences as a surgeon are pleasantly mild and warm to read and his style of narration that describe his adventures with the animals and their owners is of the most hilarious form that can make even the most serious of the reader burst out in a laugh. Apart f ...more
Sharon
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read
Arriving in the small Yorkshire village of Darrowby newly qualified veterinary surgeon, James Herriot has no idea what is in store for him. Having only been qualified for the last seven months, James knew it wouldn't be easy, but he was up to the challenge or so he believed.

James quickly learnt that dealing with animals was sometimes easier than dealing with people, especially farming people who were used to doing things their own way. Unfortunately the textbooks never told you about the long h
Ivan
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry. I had a hard time catching my breath. It was so damn funny. It was also poignant. I love the time period - 1930s - and the locale - York. This took me forever to read. It's basically vignettes so I'd read one story and set the book down for a week. But I prefer to think of it as savoring. It was so good, and extremely well written. The humor sprung up naturally from the situations and never seemed forced. I really can't recommend this enough. I know, I know, I'm late to th ...more
Sharon
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, england
Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love animals. What many may not know is how author James Herriot's books inspired me to be a veterinarian. As a child, the answer to "What do you want to be when you grow up" was always "a vet."

While that childhood dream did not come true, I have never lost the fondness for Herriot's work. So, when this book turned up on our office swap shelf, I nabbed it.

"If Only They Could Talk" is a UK-issued book consisting of selected stories from All Creatures Great An
Judith Johnson
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ineffable joy! Beautifully-written, lots of laugh out loud moments, stories of the author's first year of practice as a newly-qualified vet in the Yorkshire Dales. Set in the late 1930s, dark times in many ways with the Second World War brewing, but greatly comforting in the humour and shared humanity shown. I was talking to someone yesterday and she told me she often went back to Herriot's books in difficult times. I see from my name and date bought on the flyleaf that I first read these 40 yea ...more
Meg
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So where do I start?

James Herriot, or in truth, James Alfred Wright, is a master storyteller, whose ability to paint scenes and emotions with only his words is truly astounding. How anyone can write so elegantly, and truthfully, is a rare and astonishing thing. His memoirs should truly be cherished, this first book setting an excellent scene for many humorous and poignant works.

However, when asked what i was reading by the many people who always strive for conversation when you are quite content
Caroline
This had me guffawing with laughter in places. Such a warm and cosy read too - in spite of the often harsh life being described (it was freezing up on the Yorkshire moors in winter).

What an endearing bunch of characters. It was a bedtime read, and I realised that every night I was looking forward to going to bed, just so I could read some more....

Excellent.
Anna
A pretty funny account of the life of a young vet in Yorkshire, with interesting characters, both animal and human.
It was a really hard world, before antibiotics and modern medicines, out in the freezing countryside at all hours, but he was content with that life, and that comes through his writing.
Teleseparatist
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading, 2017
As charming as I remembered it, and very interesting. Warm and perfect for out-loud reading with family. Took us a good while to get to the end, but the time was well-spent.
Rachel
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all of Herriot's books, but long ago. Like, more than twenty years ago. I am happy to say that I loved this one all over again. Herriot had me laughing at least once a chapter. Sometimes, I laughed so much, I had to put my book down and wipe my eyes. I adore his humor, so dry and absurdity-based and British. My goodness, what writing.

I always thought that these were strictly non-fiction, told in a funny way, but I learned recently that Herriot did fictionalize some of his stories. And
Betsy Heasman
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a lovely and easy read. Giggled out loud of the tube whoops
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If Only They Could Talk is a memoir of sorts chronicling James Herriot's first year in a veterinarian practice in the small English town of Darrowby. Composed of short accounts of day-to-day life in the practice, each story draws you further into the lives of James Herriot, his employer Siegfried Farnon, and Siegfried's brother Tristan.

I still remember watching All Creatures Great and Small on VHS with my parents, and this book gives off the same sense of nostalgia. If Only They Could Talk is li

Eileen Monroe
I loved James Herriott's books when I was a kid... he was one of the reasons I always wanted to be a vet... ...more
Johnny
What it is:
A blue-collar charm autobiography by a guy who 'lucked out' by landing a veterinarian job straight out of school during the Great Depression.

Who should read it:
Lovers of Bill Bryson, for one. Really, if you love animals, or love the folksy narrator thing, this book is for you.

Strengths: Pacing, Variety of Tales, Humour/Gravity Balance, Characterization

Rating: 4 out of 5. This is a nice, quick, enjoyable read, though it will also have you looking to the dictionary often.
Wow
I originally picked this up because of the interesting blurb and the compact size of my edition.

I have never heard of this book or the author not have seen the inspired TV series by it.

Each chapter has the story of one of his Many adventures.

No matter how sad or heartbreaking the tale is , his tone is hilariously funny.

His depiction of the times at Yorkshire will leave the reader with warm feelings of nostalgia.

It was a book to read at hard times for pick me ups.

I will read his other
Blake
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was delightful! I had heard of this book series and its television counterpart "All Creatures Great and Small," but knew little of the content. It ended up being a collection of fascinating anecdotes told with warmth and humor. I highly recommend this book, and I look forward to reading the other seven in the series. ...more
Kacey
Still up there with my favourite books. Herriot's charmingly self-effacing storytelling is immersive and hilarious. When I was much younger I had a soft spot for the roguish Tristan. I'm not really an animal person, but these tales of strange, wonderful and yet very ordinary beasts are a joy, and then there's the animals too. ...more
Suzanne Fournier
A well loved and greatly read series.

James Herriot is starting out as a young veterinary assistant in Yorkshire. An interesting, funny, and occasionally warm book, though not for the squeamish.

I ended up watching the series on TV first which I don't usually do (in case you're wondering the first three seasons are great and then the rest I wouldn't bother with). I will give the TV series props because it is dead on to what Herriot wrote. The characters, the plots, the places.

Daniel
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve just discovered the world of James Herriot and I shall be returning to it soon. This book is wholesome, humourous, humble and heartfelt. I would recommend this to anybody. A firm and fair five stars. Well done, Mr Herriot.
Girl
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Lovely, funny and touching. And the sheep. Oh the sheep.
Stephanie Ng
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, like all of James Herriot's books! ...more
Lisa
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books when I was a kid, and it’s a delight to re-read them.
Brenda
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a nice read. Good for reading aloud, though some of the different accents can be challenging!
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
What a wonderful trip down memory lane this book was. I remember watching the TV series back in the 70's and 80's and picking this book up for the first time was like settling down by the fire with old friends.

Set in the Yorkshire Dales, this is the first book in a series by rookie vet James Herriot and his new life in the countryside and among the animals and his struggle to win over the old Yorkshire farmers and eccentric characters he meets there. There were so many times when I literally la
Sue
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reading
I first read this years ago as a teenager, but now with a teenage daughter aspiring to apply to vet school, I wanted to revisit it.

Quite often when you re-read an old favourite it's a disappointment, but not this. I have to say I've enjoyed it more this time, maybe because I also have dogs so am more familiar with the vet world, but also with the advent of excellent tv programmes such as The Yorkshire Vet and The Supervet, creating a national interest and buzz around their work.
Having said that
YorkshireSue
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers,readers wanting laughter (& tears) from a book
Shelves: all-time-faves
Loved all the James Herriot books. My parents began to read them when I was maybe 10 or so and they would laugh out loud but I was far too cool to read what my parents did until one day I had a miserable toothache/earache and to take my mind off it I began to read one of this series of books. I too ended up laughing and simply being transported away to a different time, yet with places that seemed comfortingly familiar. (I'm from Yorkshire originally and was living there at this time.) I wrote m ...more
Gareth Evans
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in my early teens around the time of the great Herriot boom; a very popular TV series, 3 feature films and parts of North Yorkshire branding themselves as 'Herriot Country'. I had fond memories of the books and the TV series and, in rereading one of the books, was worried that I would view it as sentimental and facile. However, the Herriot industry was started because the books are well written and not overly sentimental. Herriot is a clever writer, clear and direct and ca ...more
Marie
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this was a thoroughly enjoyable little book. It was quickly read - in less than a day - but every vanilla-scented, yellowed paperback page was a sheer delight to turn. It now seems odd that it would have taken me this long to acquaint myself with James Herriot (nom de plume), but perhaps this was just the right time in life to take up the acquaintance after all. Having driven up and down the same precarious roads that he lurches along, looked up at the same balding fells and travelled parall ...more
Kate
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The genial misadventures of James Herriot, a young vet in the lovely Yorkshire Dales, are enough to make a cat laugh -- let alone the animals, if only they6 could talk."
~~back cover

Lovely vignettes that cover the author's beginnings as a vet, and the joys, trials and tribulations of being a vet in the vast reaches of the Yorkshire Dales, with the stolid, hard-working, no nonsense farmers as customers.
Malcolm Cox
No so much a story as a series of anecdotal tales. Each chapter focuses on one of Herriot’s experiences either with the animals, the farmers, the locals or with the vet in charge. They are informative and for the most part humorous. This was quite the eye opener on just how different life is now compared with seventy years ago.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Around the Year i...: If Only They Could Talk, by James Herriot 3 22 Jul 31, 2016 09:01AM
Seandainya mereka bisa bicara 1 31 Nov 05, 2008 07:50PM

• Fillets of Plaice
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • The Heart of the Dales
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • The Path to Power
  • James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet
  • The Book of Invisible Questions
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • The Complete Nonsense of Edward Lear
  • A Yorkshire Vet: The Next Chapter
  • How Animals Saved My Life: Being the Supervet
  • Schindler's List
  • Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North
  • Born Free: A Lioness of Two Worlds (Story of Elsa, #1)
  • A Yorkshire Vet Through the Seasons
  • 84, Charing Cross Road
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • Ekstradycja (Chyłka i Zordon, #11)
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow

All Creatures Great and Small (8 books)
  • It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet
  • Let Sleeping Vets Lie
  • Vet in Harness
  • Vets Might Fly
  • Vet in a Spin
  • The Lord God Made Them All
  • Every Living Thing  (All Creatures Great and Small, #8)