Start by marking “The Murder of Jesus” as Want to Read:
The Murder of Jesus

The Murder of Jesus

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  331 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The pieces are in place. The curtain rises for the final act. God is about to die.

An unprecedented conspiracy of injustice, cruelty, and religious and political interests sentenced a man guilty of no crimes to the most barbaric method of execution ever devised. The victim was no mere man. Jesus was God in the flesh. The Creator of life died.

How did such a thing come to be?
Published April 1st 2004 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published March 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder of Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder of Jesus

Kathy Anastos
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent description of the timeline leading up to and during the crucifixion of Christ.
Heather Leipart
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Very thorough and on point. It is not just an ordinary retelling of events or summarizing generally over stuff most people already know. No, this is a pretty in-depth look at what happened, why it happened, and everything was backed with scripture! In fact, in the back of the book there is an entire reference section dedicated to all the scripture used. So well done.
I found there were some holes in my knowledge and so these areas were of particular interest to me. I learned the man
Fiona
So Christ's submission to the Father's will was an expression of his eternal love for the Father. As abhorrent and mysterious as it is to think of the Son's dying and the Father's pouring out His wrath on the Son–the underlying purpose of redemption was a pure expression of love between Father and Son. And thus in eternity past the Son willingly, deliberately submitted Himself to the Father's will, and the path to the cross was set.

The Murder of Jesus is a powerful examination of the trials
Zabdiel David Rodriguez
Un estudio detallado acerca de los acontecimientos previos a la crucifixión de Jesús del Nazareth, el Hijo de Dios. Desde la ultima pascua celebrada junto a sus discípulos, el juicio inmoral al que fue sujeto por parte del sanedrín, su comparecencia ante Poncio Pilato, hasta la horrenda pena capital de la que fue victima; John MacArthur nos pasea por escenarios, perfiles de los protagonistas y doctrinas fundamentales que envuelven la muerte sacrificial del Mesías judío.

"El Asesinato de Jesús" pr
John Sheehan
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John truly brings to light Biblical truth in such a powerful way in this book taking me on a most fascinating journey during the last hours of the life of Jesus from supper to death laying a path of detail and superior accuracy filled with a plot of interesting insights lacing it all in the delicate prophecies of this amazing life-giving story.

I must say I've read a lot about the death, burial and resurrection of Christ and this my dear friends is at the top of the list and well worth your time
Carl
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Macarthur has in no way disappointed the readers that want clear and concise scripture to stand on in these last days. The denied truth is that only a sect of people were at fault for the death of Christ but truthfully we all stood in the crowd screaming "crucify him". Can you see yourself standing in the crowd. If not read this along side of scripture and you will realize that we all have sinned and it is because of that sin He died.
Sep 24, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love the book and it is helping me a lot in knowing Jesus more and how gentle, good and forgiving He is really! I was so moved with how Jesus showed humility in chapter 3 when He washed the feet of all His disciples.....i realized more now that I have nothing to and should never feel proud of myself but pray to God and seek to be humble just like my Savior.
Justin
This is a most excellent book that can be read alongside of the Passion. I found it to be one of those reads that was hard to put down. I found it to be informative and a book that just has to be read once a year or once every few years. Despite the criticism that MacArthur may recieve for his out-spoken opinion, he is well educated, well read and a great author.
F
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Though I had several disagreements with Brother John in this book [he holds to the unscriptural good Friday idea and the equally unscriptural idea that Christ in Gethsemane was trying to avoid Calvary, and a couple of other more minor disagreements] overall I thought it was a good book- excellent at provoking thought but not close enough to the Scriptures for my taste.
Beth
Jul 01, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am having trouble getting into this book. I'm shelving it for a while. I thought it would be more like a court case, with some good old fashioned apologetics, but it's just a little bit too lofty in the writing style and sounds more like a theology textbook than I can wrap my brain around at the present moment.
Jessica Shin
It was all fascinating, until the end when the author pissed me off and I had to throw the book against the wall. It follows the passion of Jesus til his death and translates some of the meaning of the scriptures to provide a fresh new insight. But then totally goes off on a tangent in the end.
Cheryl Ellis
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MacArthur is a wonderful author and explains a lot more about the Cross. With Easter coming, do we know how much Jesus suffered for us? Read this book to get more insight as to why things happened the way they did. This book is easy to follow, understand, and you will learn something new!
Jen
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this before Easter and just finished... excellent book. MacArthus explains a lot of the history surrounding the time of Jesus's death that was so helpful. highly recommend... in preparing your heart before Easter... or not!
Marguerite Harrell
I am currently reading The Murder of Jesus by John MacArthur as an Lent reading before the Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday. I had read this before and had to read it again. Great good book to understand the whole thing.
Charmaine Lloyd
Having grown up in the Christian faith I thought I knew this story. But this book provided context that opened my eyes and heart to new insights. I am moved in a new way and so grateful for that.
Bill
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good treatment of the subject, although at times MacArthur's Calvinistic bias shows through.
Craig
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A world-class Bible teacher walks you through the arrest, trial and crucifixion of Jesus. Like everything MacArthur writes, it's thorough and biblical.
Carilyn
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It brought a richer understanding of the historical context of the 'why' of what happened, and especially how Pontius Pilate was in the position he was in.
Kristin
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great Easter read for me. Brought me to tears a few times and clarified much of the timeline for me.
Tina Fredricks
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This book is simply an excellent study of its' subject." -Floyd Bowen. I could not agree more.
Lynnie
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Read like a great story. Made Jesus' last days come to life
Sagrario Zamora
very detailed
Melanie Whorten
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Norma Peckham
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thorough and thought provoking discussion of the crucifixion, well backed up with biblical references. Not the easiest book in the world to read but worth persevering
Jason
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful in putting the complete picture of what was actually happening from account of all 4 gospels.
Stephen Delorme
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksread
One of the most powerful and convicting books you will ever read. If there was ever a man who did not deserve to die it was this man.
Jason Headlee
  • A Method for Prayer: Freedom in the face of God
  • Jerusalem Countdown, Revised and Updated: A Prelude To War
  • The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • It Is Well: Expositions on Substitutionary Atonement
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • One Minute After You Die: A Preview of Your Final Destination
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • Christian Beliefs: Twenty Basics Every Christian Should Know
John F. MacArthur, Jr. is a United States Calvinistic evangelical writer and minister, noted for his radio program entitled Grace to You and as the editor of the Gold Medallion Book Award winning MacArthur Study Bible. MacArthur is a fifth-generation pastor, a popular author and conference speaker and has served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since 1969, and ...more
More about John F. MacArthur Jr....

“May we never take the Cross of Christ for granted or miss its profundity. It was here that mercy and truth met together; righteousness and peace kissed each other.” 0 likes