Start by marking “Book of Mercy” as Want to Read:
Book of Mercy

Book of Mercy

In small Mercy, North Carolina, a group of influential women-the Mercy Study Club-decide to remove "undesirable" books from the school library. It was supposed to be easy. But they hadn't planned on Antigone Brown, a woman who has trouble reading road signs, keeps a stone in her pocket to help her remember right from left, and despairs of ever being a good mother to her un ...more
Published September 10th 2011 by Osmyrrah Publishing (first published September 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Mercy

Laura McNeill
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Roberts Tackles Censorship with Book of Mercy

If your family is full of avid readers, and your house is stocked with books, consider this: About 500 books are challenged every year in the United States, according to the American Library Association—and those are just the ones reported.
Among the books challenged or banned in the United States in 2010-11 were The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, as a parent claimed that it gave her 11-year-old daughter nightmares and could numb other children to t
Natalie
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I knew from the blurb of the book I was going to like it, I just didn't realize how much I was going to like this amazing book. As a passionate reader like myself and we all are, this is absolutely a book you will want to read. Warning though, once you start you will not be able to put it down until you have read the very last word. It's a book that will stay with you long after you have finished it. It's a very heart-warming, beautiful, touch your heart novel. It is about censorship, power and ...more
Masquerade Crew
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy
WALKI'S REVIEW

When Antigone is upset, she takes off on a driving binge, generally without her cell phone, while her husband Sam works on his welding binge to stave off his worry. This time, she is pregnant and is afraid of being a bad mother, afraid of letting down her child to be. On the way, she picks up another stray, Ryder, a homeless teenager from New York.

Antigone has a secret: she is severely dyslexic. When the busy-bodies in the town of Mercy decide to ban books from the library to prote
Barb
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This book brought an interesting main character, all sorts of quirky other characters, a unique story angle and some very solid writing.

i thoroughly enjoyed the book from cover to cover (okay, it was a kindle edition) and look forward to reading the other book by this author.
Tahlia Newland
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
The Book of Mercy is a truly beautiful, heart-warming novel on book censorship, the nature of love, motherhood and friendship. I loved this book from the first page to the end, which had me in tears of joy - I’m a softy
When a group of influential women decide to remove “undesirable” books from the school library, Antigone Brown, a woman with dyslexia who keeps a stone in her pocket to help her remember right from left and despairs of ever being a good mother to her unborn child stands up for pe
Gina's Library
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I reveiwed this book for the author.

The storyline of this book really hit home with me. Of course I'm a lover of books. I also suffer from dsylexia. Mine however is not as severe as Antigone's.

I loved the courage Antigone had to stand up to Irene and the Study Group. It couldn't of been easy given her dsylexia and Irene's standing in the community. Antigone did what was right though.

I personally don't believe in book banning. If you don't like a book you have every right to not read it and not
Shirley
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Found this to be a lovely story and enjoyed reading it. I received this book as part of a giveaway and after much delay, finally did get down to read it. The title and the book cover are deceiving. One would think that this is probably a mystery or a thriller. Well, it is thrilling but it's more of a drama. The story is actually very refreshing and engaging. The characters are likeable and real.

The author captures the events of a small community very accurately and successfully shows how close
Judy King
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's clear why this tale of dyslexic Antigone (the daughter of two college research professors) and her fight against the women of Mercy, North Carolina, who take it upon themselves to safe the community and students by banning a selection of well beloved and respected books in the HS library was a finalist in the 2011 Midwest Book Awards.

The short work does a stellar job of making the characters as real and vivid as my own family members and neighbors. There are problems, real problems, addres
CassandraG
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Book of mercy.
Who would have thought that a white dyslexic female with a tendency to drive off to wherever the heart decrees, would meet up with a young black teenager who, basically told her when they first met, that she shouldn’t really talk to strangers that she didn’t know? Who knew he would become a very important part of her family and she’d be running an underground library after book banning at the local high school, became an important issue in her life?

It’s a real heartwarming story
Jess
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-downloads
A dyslexic woman who fights book banning? Why would she care? That's what drew me into this book.
Antigone Brown struck me as odd. She runs, among other things, a deer farm. It seems kind of pointless to me to bother with a sanctuary for a species that, frankly, is a dime a dozen in the wild. (Admittedly, that could be because I've been bitten by everything found on a farm & am convinced that animals are jerks.)

I hated her spineless librarian friend Nancy, who didn't even attempt to fight th
Melanie Adkins
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a typical small town with it's problems. One of the problems was the Mercy Study Club. Local women who used financial power to accomplish things in town. The newest project on their list- books. In particular censoring what books the school library carries. It begins a fight this town may not survive. It's champion, Antigone Brown. Antigone goes to great lengths to save the books and the rights of the students.

Having grown up in a small town like this, I've seen these things happen and sn
Deborah
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading Book of Mercy, I wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into. As a matter of fact, I was feeling frustrated because I had just put two really strange books I had downloaded aside and wasn't sure I was going to find anything worth sticking with. Thank goodness I chose Book of Mercy as my next read.

The reviews I've seen are right - there is absolutely nothing funny about censorship. There's also nothing funny about bullying (on any level - adult, child, physical, or emot
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story's about a small town where the social clique of women who lead it decide certain books are bad. Then they bully the librarian into banning them.

A dyslexic, pregnant woman takes issue. She wants her baby to be able to read any books that she as its mother, deems suitable. She does not want a committee telling her what's appropriate. For her baby. Or for her.

This isn't a ponderous tome moaning about the evils of censorship. It treats a touchy subject with a light hand and puts us in the
Susan
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it

I am always a sucker for any book about books, and this very heartwarming
novel was no exception. I read late into
the night to finish it. Our unlikely heroine, whose dyslexia is so severe she has never learned to read properly, leads her
town's opposition to book banning. She actually opens a bookstore/library of
endangered books. She also runs the local vegan cafe, saves deer and adopts
a homeless boy from the city. And her
name is Antigone. There are lovely
characters and funny but endearing
Georgeanna
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Author Sherry Roberts weaves a heartwarming tale about a serious subject. She nails the small-town atmosphere perfectly and all of her characters are completely believable - from the central few main characters, to the "club", the school board, the football coach, Ben, and the whole supporting cast. I was able to picture the farm, the deer, the houses, the bullies, and everything else almost like I was watching a movie. This is a wonderful book, wonderfully written. I will be ...more
Eric
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The most enjoyable read this summer. The characters were well developed and interesting. The plot was filled with love, heartbreak, pain and passion. Censorship was the main theme of the book. For me swear words of any form ruin a novel, but surprisingly fit in to help tell the story in this novel about an inner city youth, a dyslexic mother to be and a town willing to fight for what they believe in both good and bad.
Cheri
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The author did a spectacular job with character development. Rarely do I read a book where I feel personally invested in each character in some way. Set in Mercy, North Carolina, this tale of book banning in a small town Southern community touches on so many more issues, including family relationships, homelessness, dyslexia, drug addiction, parenting, etc. I highly recommend this one!
Pat
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book of Mercy is a light-hearted look at the very serious topic of censorship, in this case book-banning. Sherry Roberts also throws in other serious things (like dyslexia, homelessness, bullying), but always manages to keep a light touch. An easy read with plenty of action and sympathetic characters that left me thinking, and wanting more. I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to review it.
Carol
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A bright, educated, compassionate woman takes in strays -- both human and animal. But she is dyslexic to such an extreme that she cannot read words on a page or a sign. So, how and why would she take on those who want to ban certain books in their small town in North Carolina? A very unusual story told well -- with some very unusual characters well-conceived and beautifully presented. A truly worthwhile read with substance and meaning. Well-edited.
Lavonne
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lavonne by: Traveler Blue
Shelves: kindle-editions
Book banning is an important topic and usually one that makes most book-lovers burn with indignation, myself amoung them. (Don't tread on Harry Potter. Ever.) I thought the plot was good, and I loved the quirky characters, but the story seemed slightly rushed throughout the book.
Emmie
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loves this book. It is about facing your fears and weaknesses and carrying on regardless. it is about taking a stand for what you truly believe in no matter the opposition.
Luisa
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A cute and interesting with a happy ending. Good read.
Rene
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. I enjoyed the character development and I would really like a sequel.
Karen
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, quick read about a serious subject - book banning and censorship. When a powerful women's civic group decides it is time to remove offensive books from the school library to protect the children of Mercy, North Carolina, a local citizen, Antigone Brown - who is barely keeping her own head above water - speaks out against them, risking everything she owns and everyone she loves.

At her website, Roberts says, "My books are about justice. As Martin Luther King Jr. said, “The time is always r
Ann
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book about a woman who is dyslexic but not everyone knows since she does so many things. But when she gets upset she gets in her car and just drives not knowing where shes going. She got lost one time and ask this young black boy to help her find her way home . They got along well so she insisted he stay with her and her husband. She also just found out she was pregnant. Things were going on intown at the library this one lady wanted certain books removed from the library and gotten ri ...more
Helen Frances
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this, reminded me of Anne Tyler or Fannie Flagg.
Alison
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was a breath of fresh air, such a creative story and with so many captivating characters. The main Character Antigone suffers from severe Dyslexia, but she was also brought up by book lovers who instilled a love for books in her despite her frustrations with reading. She, Antigone is also a collector of strays whether they are animal or human and because of this we have a wonderful eclectic group of people, to read about. The story takes place in a small town in North Carolina, where ...more
Julie
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely recommend this novel to anyone looking for a beautifully written life story with characters so real the reader feels she knows each and every one of them. It's a love story, but it's not a romance. It's the story of one woman who loves a man, her unborn child, a runaway, her neighbors, her town, and America's freedom. The story caught me at the start, and I devoured every single word and didn't want to put it down. I loved the fresh take on an old problem: censorship. I couldn't sto ...more
Enrique Castillo
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Just ok book.

Easy reading, likeable characters, sometimes a little bit too charming to be believable. Main conflicting, the banning of books, it's solved in a way sort of easy and predictable. You can not hate this book, but it's hard to love it... with all the "craziness" of its characters they can't prevent to be a little cheesy as well. There's some sort of clairvoyant girl named Star, she I liked. Would have love to hear and know more of her.
Mary
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Sherry Robert's Book of Mercy was an interesting read. I thought the characters were unique and well developed. I couldn't help but feel close to the characters and was truly intrigued by what would happen next. This is the kind of book that makes me think about book bans, quirky people and prejudices. A follow up novel would certainly be expected.

• Memory's Child
  • Store This! Simple Home Storage Systems & House Organization Solutions
  • An Owl's Whisper
  • Blood and Guitars (Blood and Guitars, #1)
  • The Seventh Season
  • A Vested Interest - Immortality Gene
  • Finding Clarity: A Mom, A Dwarf and a Posh Private School in the People's Republic of Berkeley
  • The Newbie's Guide to Publishing
  • Pandora's Genes (The Pandora's Trilogy) (Volume 1)
  • The Silver Mist
  • A Clockwork Fairytale
  • Depth of Deception (A Titanic Murder Mystery)
  • 14 år till salu: En skakande svensk historia
  • The Cahokian
  • How To Raise Emotionally Healthy Children: Meeting The Five Critical Needs of Children...and Parents Too! Updated Edition [Kindle Edition]
  • The Unseen
  • The Fourth Law
  • Excelsior
I read mysteries, and now I write them. My new mystery, Down Dog Diary, asks the compelling question: can a yoga teacher hunt a killer and still find inner peace? I have written two other novels: Book of Mercy, a funny novel about a serious issue: censorship, and Maud’s House, a story of lost creativity and the mess it can lead to in a small Vermont town. I also am the author of WriteTips, an eBoo ...more