Start by marking “American Pickers Guide to Picking” as Want to Read:
American Pickers Guide to Picking

American Pickers Guide to Picking

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A true adventure story and the go-to guide for "picking" American treasures from anyone's backyard, straight from the stars of History's American Pickers

In these pages, professional treasure hunters Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz chronicle their road trips across the American countryside in search of "rusty gold" to buy and sell among the picking world's one-of-a-kind characte
Published September 13th 2011 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about American Pickers Guide to Picking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Pickers Guide to Picking

John Johnson
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The book American Pickers Guide to Picking is a companion book to the television series American Pickers. The first six chapters basically tell in writing what viewers of the television show already know from watching the series. Those chapters talk about finding places to pick and then how to go about picking the items. There is also a chapter in that first half of the book about the pickers, themselves, and what you would need to know to be good at it. You learn about breaking the ice on a pic ...more
Less_cunning
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"People die all the time--no big newsflash there."

"We've heard of hipster kids in Southern California buying them on Craigslist, parking them in their backyards, and retrofiting the insides to turn them into mobile offices. Beats a regular office any day."

Short-read. Big text. Half of it is over-lap from the show. Lot's of, "If you remember such-and-such episode..." Although this guide is pretty much going to appeal to hard-core fans of the show who want to start picking, there is some really go
Robert
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I really like the show American Pickers on the History channel so when I saw this book it was kind of no surprise that I had to read it. The only slight downer is that this book does rehash a lot of the episodes shown on T.V. and the various finds. I do find this a nice book in the fact that Frank and Mike are willing to share their "secrets' to picking. And that is kind of what this book is. Look at it as more of a how to guide to get started picking and it really is not that bad. There was a f ...more
Lindsay
Good stuff. Love the show, enjoyed the book. It's a honey hole of info and insight. You can definitely hear Mike and Frank throughout the book, and I appreciated the background tales they told and interviews included from others they have worked with along the way. If you're into junking, antiquing, going to garage sales, or just intrigued by the crazy dudes that go into wild places looking for rusty gold, you'll enjoy this.
Puddlediving
Nothing surprising for any fan of American Pickers on the History Channel. Interesting anecdotal stories, some of which were showcased on the show. The book provides a breakdown on how they do what they do. An interesting read for a fan, and a 'how to' for someone that is interested in becoming a professional picker. If you are neither a fan nor a wanna-be picker, I doubt you'd find this very interesting.
Harkonen
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wrote in a group effort way. Libby does most of the frame work and sprinkles in bits from the crew as she winds thru the book. The stories and characters are what makes the show for me and there's lots of that here, mostly retold though. If you're familar with the show then the book holds few surprises. A nice read but not much depth past the known.
Angela
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Must confess I didn't finish. Enjoyable reading but I got far enough in to remember why I stopped watching their show- I can only take so many episodes of motorcycle/bike talk /signs/ and other "man"tiques. If I had never seen the show and wanted to learn how to find good junk, I would have devoured this book and rated it much higher.
Michele
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoy the show, but I enjoyed the book even more. The compassion Mike and Frank show for the people they meet is highlighted. I'd recommend this one to fans of the show and people who might be interested in the world of "picking".
Julie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book reads like you're watching the show. And there's quite a lot of information and advice in it too. Definitely worth the read, whether you are a picker or want to be one, or just like watching the show.
Joel Spitz
It was honestly a good book. It had good info and kept me reading. It just, for me, told me a lot of things I already knew. But I did enjoy it! I'd recommend it to anyone who needs motivation to get out and start picking or hitting up flea markets or local sales.
Jill
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the show, love the book! It gives lots of background about how they go picking, tips on how to be a picker yourself, and more. An entertaining, quick read!
Karen
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picking
I really enjoy the History Channel TV show so I decided to read the book. Interesting tips and tidbits. Easy read.
Sandy
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little behind the scenes information about how Mike & Frank work together and their tips for picking.
Barb Wiseberg
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick easy read. Couldn't imagine being a picker, but would love to work with this crew for a week!
Greg
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I great look behind the scenes of the TV show and some great advice in "picking".
Ryan
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a lot of meat, but it does give you some more insight into how the guys actually approach a pick. It also shows ho much is left out of the thirty minute shows.
Gregory
Basically readable. Not great.
Tammy
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Learned some things I didn't know about Mike and Frank from watching the show. Quick read. Entertaining and educational.
Jerry Rehkemper
If you are a picker it would be very useful, but if not it is an interesting book.
Karen
If you're a fan of the show, "American Pickers" you'll love this book, a warning to hoarders, it makes you want to go out and start adding to your 'collections'!
Glenn
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very interesting book. i enjoyed it
Nick Ng
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
  • The Complete Book of M*A*S*H
  • Sarah Emma Edmonds Was a Great Pretender: The True Story of a Civil War Spy (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • Stars: A Guide to the Constellations, Sun, Moon, Planets, and Other Features of the Heavens
  • The Law of Attraction, Plain and Simple: Create the Extraordinary Life That You Deserve
  • Ride the Pink Horse
  • Love Among the Ruins: A Novel
  • The Beach Book
  • Steven Spielberg: A Biography
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up?
  • Luck and Circumstance: A Coming of Age in Hollywood, New York, and Points Beyond
  • Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Special Effects
  • Capturing Paris: A Novel
  • Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man
  • Eat This Book: Cooking with Global Fresh Flavors
  • The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics, and Techniques 	  Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics, and Techniques
  • Power Eating: Build Muscle, Increase Energy, Cut Fat