Start by marking “Just Run” as Want to Read:
Just Run

Just Run

Mathematician Renee Carter jokes that she was raised by a hotel maid and a television. It's not far from the truth. She spent most of her childhood following her father from city to city as he played poker in back-alley bars, illegal card rooms and casinos. Those years around poker tables drilled lessons into her that she's never forgotten: always be observant, always be w ...more
Published (first published September 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Just Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Run

Start your review of Just Run
Eric_W
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Many reviewers will complain this book is formulaic, and it is, but what a great formula. Two good guys (male cop and female victim) are forced to flee and hide from the bad guys and authorities who have been bamboozled by the bad guys. The ultimate outcome is never in doubt, so it’s how the author gets there that keeps us reading.

Of course the idea that a researcher would have only one copy of a large important database on a laptop is preposterous,but as with all such books some suspension of r
Joy
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a great romp! After reading Chris Culver's debut novel "The Abbey", of which I wasn't so terribly fond, I gave this one a try because the $1 price was right and the reviews were good. Boy I'm glad that I did. It was fast paced and kept me guessing until the very end, with twists all the way through the last paragraph--leading one to ask, "Is a sequel perhaps a possibility?" After a female math prof stumbles into the murder scene of her gay collegue who had her laptop in his office, her life ...more
Penny
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
There is a lot of action and tension in this book as the protagonists stay one step ahead of the bad guys. It was easy to read with a carrot dangled that promised answers to a conspiracy mystery. At the last twist of the story, the plot suddenly made no sense. Who were the bad guys, and who where the good guys? Why were these people running and what were they running from? Were they running or being herded? I confess that I have no idea how to answer these questions. I liked this book as I read ...more
kent
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
What can I say, I'm a sucker for books set in Southwest Ohio with cameo appearances at the Dayton International Airport (we have a non-stop to Toronto, hence international airport)and name dropping Wright Patterson AFB.
The book is a genre novel, innocent math teacher gets caught up in international intrigue after writing a paper about online poker. She winds up on the run with Trent (detective Scheafer ) twists and turns, seedy motels, living out of vending machines. Of course there are unbeli
Monica T. Rodriguez
This book was suspenseful and an interesting plot, but as an editor and proofreader, I know that if I'm rewriting sentences in my head, the book needed some more work. Not too many typos, but simply so-so on the writing. But a good enough story that future books have promise. I wouldn't strike the author of your list if you like suspense/thrillers.
Lori
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just so-so

Felt like plot and story could have been stronger and more exciting somehow. I kept reading, hoping for more - like what happened to granddaughter and daughter?
Carl
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was really impressed by Mr. Culver's writing in his first book, "The Abbey." It also struck me that the 99 cent Kindle price for it was really low considering it is a first rate detective novel -- as good or better than most of the name writers who charge far more for their work. Presumably the attractive pricing is a means by which Mr. Culver could build up a readership.

When I saw that his second novel, "Just Run," was similarly priced, I was surprised but delighted at the bargain. This one i
Bridget
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
This was either a freebie or a 99-cent-er for my Nook. The descriptive blurb made it sound interesting, so I figured what the heck. Turns out, it was quite a read!

Dr. Renee Carter is a math professor at a small Ohio college. We learn that she has written a research paper proving that online poker games are rigged. As the book begins, she is going to her colleague's office and when she arrives, finds the colleague dead, and she herself is attacked. Detective Trent Schaefer is called in from Cinci
Linda
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The book was fast paced, and the mechanics of good writing were fine. The book opened with a grabber, but like Trent and Renee, the good guys, I got tired of running from the Russian mob, the FBI, a potential presidential candidate and other law enforcement agents. All of the characters were acting on agendas of their own separate from their common goals. The book ends with a twist which I did not expect.

Thank you, Mr. Culver, for a good read.
Marti
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
nook book This was a rather exciting, non-stop story which though implausible, could have happened fairly much the way that it did. A mathematics professor whose father had played poker and taught her, writes aa book about beating the odds. The Russian Mafia wants her killed, because it could ruin their business. An offbeat character comes to her rescue, and they speed across the US with the enemy in pursuit. It is fascinating to see how they elude their captors.
Heather
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I shouldn't rate it this high, but it is so much better than a lot of the crappily-written ebooks I've read lately. Title is accurate: the whole book is about two people running from place to place away from people who are trying to kill them.

Update: I couldn't live with the 4 stars so I downgraded it to 3. I'd give it 3.5 if I could.
Becky
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Right after finishing "The Abbey" I saw this book and immediately purchased it. Amazing, fast paced storyline, great characters, insane plot twist at the end! Loved everything about it. Writing sometimes still a little amateur, but nothing that totally jerks you out of the story you're immersed in. Can't wait to see what Culver brings to us next!
Walter
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I'd have probable have given this 4 stars for the story which is engaging and smart. However, this reads very-much like a first novel. Some parts had strange phrasing and awkward dialogue that really took me out of the book. Also, the ending was quite abrupt. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this author.
Virginia Childres
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Suspense to the Max

I really enjoyed this thriller, suspense novel. It kept me turning pages and intrigued as to the next piece of trouble Trent and Ranee were going to find and how they were going to get out of it. I've read Chris Culver's Ash Rashid detective novels and loved those, so I thought I'd try this one. It was different and exceptional.
anne
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read Culvers first book, The Abbey and loved it. I thought Just Run was even better. I'm hoping to see more of Trent and Renee is his next book, I really liked their characters. Will definetly buy his next book.
Laurie
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I could not put this one down. I thought this crime thriller was well written. I enjoyed the main character and think it could be part of a series as there were so many unanswered questions about him.
Maria
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I almost didn't finish this book. I found it slow throughout the first half if the book. However, the second half was much better. Originally I was going to give this book 3 stars but changed it to 4 stars. I think 3 1/2 stars is better.
Marcus Ward
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Clever book and a quick read.
Kristen Gibbon
A good book but the ending came too quickly and was slightly confusing.
Donna Velde
another hit for Chris Culver.
Phil
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
So predictable I couln't finish this stinker.
Kenneth Funk
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was better than the last effort by this author. I do find his fascination with the Russian mob to be a little tedious. Character development still needs work.
Robbin
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Easy read and good on the DC stuff. I would read another of his books.
nora
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
an ok book, it tended to drag on a bit, sometimes unrealistic
Susan2240
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!! Really fast-moving with such a twist at the end that came out of nowhere! There's got to be a sequel!
Doug
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook
I don't really remember this book, which means that for me, it wasn't that memorable?
Stacy Juhl
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another fun read by thus author. Good character development and a surprising ending. I enjoyed it!
Wendy
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome bok...can't wait for his next one
Cindy
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I will read more and more of Chris Culver's books. I could not put this book down.
Al Canary
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Another 99ct Kindle read... Worth about what I paid!

• The Traitor's Story
  • Mill Point Road
  • The Hunter's Prayer
  • The Guilty Spouse: A Private Investigator Mystery Series of Crime and Suspense, Lee Callaway (Unknown Suspect Series Book 21)
  • Gone to Darkness (Sydney Rose Parnell, #4)
  • Devoted
  • The Missing Sister
  • A Death in Sweden
  • In Her Eyes
  • Good Cop Bad Cop (Maggie Delaney Police Thriller Book 2)
  • Who is Conrad Hirst?
  • Madness (Asher Benson #2)
  • Ash (Asher Benson #1)
  • The Perfect Crime: An Asher Benson Short Story
  • The Dead Daughter (Lee Callaway #1)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • Jump Seat (Sam Archer #9)
  • The Girls They Fear: A Twisted, Captivating Thriller
Chris Culver is the New York Times bestselling author of the Ash Rashid series of mysteries. After graduate school, Chris taught courses in ethics and comparative religion at a small liberal arts university in southern Arkansas. While there and when he really should have been grading exams, he wrote The Abbey, which spent sixteen weeks on the New York Times bestseller's list and introduced the wor ...more