Start by marking “Emily and Carlo” as Want to Read:
Emily and Carlo

Emily and Carlo

When Emily Dickinson was given a puppy by her father, the two were instant best friends. She named him Carlo, after a dog in one of her favorite books, and she delighted in the growing dog’s antics. Carlo, a Newfoundland (and possibly part Saint Bernard), grew to a rather large size and was full of energy. He loved his adventures with Emily. They were an odd pair—a tiny wo ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Emily and Carlo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily and Carlo

Sara Staffolani
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Una vera chicca per tutte le ammiratrici e gli ammiratori della poetessa americana Emily Dickinson.
Questo bel libro, in lingua inglese, si intitola Emily and Carlo, è stato scritto da Marty Rhodes Figley ed è stato illustrato da Catherine Stock. E’ stato pubblicato dalla casa editrice Charlesbridge nel 2012. Racconta l’indimenticabile e straordinaria amicizia tra Emily e il suo cane, il Terranova nero Carlo.
Com’è scritto anche nel libro, si pensa spesso ad Emily Dickinson come a una solitaria ra
Christina
Apparently Emily Dickinson owned a Newfoundland dog. I did not know that, and found it an interesting new fact to learn about this poet. This picture book, illustrated in beautiful watercolor paintings, relates how Emily was given Carlo as a gift and how he was her beloved (and often only) companion for for sixteen years. The text sprinkles quotes from her poems and letters throughout, and ends with a brief author's note and a source list. Nice look at how dogs can inspire and comfort.
Robin
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming. Beautifully written and illustrated, this is a story about the deep inspiration and companionship Emily Dickinson received from her cherished dog, Carlo.
Liddy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really sweet and elegant book! I found it all soothing up until the end where I found out her dog died! :(
Margo Tanenbaum
I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Emily Dickinson--I've always found her poetry challenging and thought of her as the reclusive, dour-looking New England spinster that we've all seen in photographs.

What a different Emily we encounter in the wonderful new picture book, Emily and Carlo, by Marty Rhodes Figley. When Emily's siblings both left the Dickinson home, we learn that her father brought her home a big, black, slobbery puppy (probably a Newfoundland) to entertain her and keep her
Rebecca
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog lovers, fans of Emily Dickinson
Recommended to Rebecca by: Newfoundland Club of America
Carlo - one of the earliest documented therapy dogs. The companion to Emily Dickinson.

"Emily Dickinson did have a love interest. His name was Carlo. He was a dog, a Newfoundland, a great, slobbering, shaggy mess of a creature, which undercuts any notions of primness modern readers may harbor of Miss Dickinson... " -- Kirkus

Text and watercolors combine perfectly in this affectionate and deeply moving portrait of Emily Dickinson and her time with her companion, Carlo. The vibrant watercolors evoke
Tasha
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
When Emily Dickinson was 19 years old, she was lonely in the big home in New England since her siblings were off at school. So her father bought her a puppy that she named Carlo. The quiet and reclusive poet was an odd match with her bounding, huge Newfoundland. Carlo gave Emily more courage to be out and about, visiting others. He was with her always, a large drooling dog. They explored Amherst together with its woods, meadows and ponds. Their time together inspired her poetry, as shown in this ...more
Maddypictures
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Emily Dickinson's life is told from her dog Carlo's perspective. Beautiful watercolor paintings paired with a lengthy narrative make this a good choice for older readers. Whimsical excerpts from Dickinson's poems are presented in italics. While the story takes place over many years, puppy Carlo is shown amidst spring blooms, lengthening into summer. Towards the end of Carlo's life, fall leaves are shown in the foreground and the color palette turns to oranges and browns. Purple shad ...more
Hilary
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As an owner (& author) of Newfoundland dogs, I'm always on the lookout for a new book featuring this magnificent breed. Emily and Carlo is a gem! I greatly admire Emily Dickinson and learning about her relationship with her gentle Newfie, Carlo made me admire her all the more. Their special bond was strong and there's no doubt Carlo was her muse.

The illustrations are perfect -- ethereal, charming and quiet. I was completely taken with this lovely book and purchased it for my personal librar
Amy
What a delightful glimpse into the life of Emily Dickinson that focuses on her relationship with her dog, Carlo, who was her companion for 16 years. It includes excerpts from her letters and poems, using her own words to bring the relationship alive. My younger children enjoyed it, but I think only adults or teenagers familiar with Dickinson's poetry could fully appreciate this brief portrait in words and pictures.
Chavelli Sulikowska
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An enchanting illustrated storybook that describes the unique bond Emily shared with her beloved canine, Carlo. More than a pet, Carlo was Emily’s ultimate companion, confidant, protector and guide. It was a delight to understand the extent to which Emily’s four legged friend enriched her life and ultimately shaped her writings.
Carmen
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This charming picture book introduces us to another side of beloved American poet Emily Dickinson and her friendship with her dog, Carlo. Using pieces of Emily's letters and poems, the author crafts a realistic tale of life together infused with her imagination. A lovely read! Check out www.readerkidz.com for another review of this beautiful book.
Romelle
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Poignant story of Emily Dickinson's life with her dog, Carlo which she had for sixteen years. Weaved onto the story are Excerpts of Emily's poems and letters. A nice example of creative nonfiction. In the back of the book- notes about Emily, author's note, sources of quotation, and bibliography.
Moira
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
What a lovely presentation of a lovely poet--told through her relationship with her dog, using snippets of her poetry. The lyrical writing is enhanced by compelling watercolor artwork that I kept looking at over and over. A treasure!
Jacqueline
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous book with a fresh perspective on Emily Dickinson. Viewing this reclusive poet through her deep relationship with her Newfoundland dog, Carlo, makes Dickinson a person young readers can bond with, paving the way for future appreciation of her poetry.
Shelli
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based mostly on true to life facts about the beloved poet Emily Dickinson and her dog/best friend Carlo. If the story is even a little true than the works of Miss. Dickinson were greatly influenced by Carlo. Generations of fans can be grateful for this four legged companion in the poets life.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated, touching story (incorporating quotations from her verse) about Emily Dickinson and her beloved companion dog. Includes author's note, source notes on quotations, and bibliography.
Richard
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful little book about Emily Dickinson and her "shaggy ally" of 16 years, a large, slobbery Newfoundland named Carlo. One of the greatest gifts I've ever received.
Jacqueline
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Emily Dickson and her dog Carlos make this a kid friendly book about a famous poet with very sweet art.
Liz
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A delightful introduction to Emily Dickinson, which focuses on her friendship with her dog Carlo. Beautiful illustrations.
Shannon
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Blah. Good premise, the art matched the style of the book, but it didn't stick with me.
Hope Gunther
Apr 10, 2012
Jj
Apr 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
I have fond memories of summer visits to my grandparents in Hannibal, Missouri. Grandma and Grandpa Priests' grocery store featured a candy case chock full of wax lips, licorice sticks and jawbreakers. Grandma and Grandpa Rhodes' farm delighted me with cute, baby calves and garden-fresh corn on the cob. I love to write about ordinary children experiencing exciting events in our country's history. ...more