Start by marking “Braided World” as Want to Read:
Braided World

Braided World

“Come find what you have lost...”

Heeding this cryptic message from deep space, the crew of the starship Restoration journeys from Earth to a distant planet, hoping to find humanity’s lost genetic diversity. But with the human race on the verge of extinction from the twin horrors of plague and a mysterious scourge of dark matter, how can an alien world harbor any remedies f
Published February 4th 2003 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Braided World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Braided World

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Sandi
Dec 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2009
This three stars is really 3-1/2. "The Braided World" is a good piece of genre literature. It has plenty of action and human/alien drama. It kept my attention and kept me reading. Kenyon created a very interesting world. But, it was very predictable and the story was populated by stock characters the seemed pretty unrealistic. I did like the fact that the action stayed with the central characters and didn't jump around from location to location. "The Braided World" is terrific if you want some s ...more
Andy
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: sci-fi
Love, Life, Betrayal, This book was packed full of exciting adventure. A good book, nothing more to say. The universe is great and well thought out. The characters are amazing.

When you think its over, it turns around and smacks you in the face.
Timothy Lee
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I originally started this book fifteen years ago and couldn't make it past the first fifty pages. Much of that was a factor of my age and the limited types of books I read at the time. "The Braided World" went into my pile of books that I'd try again "sometime later."

This summer was finally "sometime later," and I gave it another try. I was surprised how much I ended up enjoying it. What I loved about it is Kenyon's ability to create a fully-realized fictional society that ties (okay, I'll say i
Brad Howard
Slow start, good finish

It was a little tough to keep on track in the beginning of this book, despite Kenyon's usual expertise in world-building. I felt that more background into the problems Earth was facing and the need to journey to the 'message' would have helped. This book could have been helped with some more time spent on details regarding the 'dark matter' cloud and the genetic problems faced by humanity. Once nearing the conclusion, however, I found myself moved by the human experiences
Melissa
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kelli
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
An enjoyable enough read, with some interesting worldbuilding and a nice fast pace.

Kind of shallow, though. The only character developed enough for me to care about was Bailey Shaw. Everyone else was flat and I just didn't care what happened to them, if they succeeded or failed in their goals, etc.

My biggest problem is the time frame. The book takes place roughly 10,000 years in the future, yet the humans are completely indistinguishable from modern-day Western humans in their behavior, thought
Tripp
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Seems like forever since I have picked up a good mass market paperback scifi novel. I had been looking at Kay Kenyon's The Braided World for years and have owned for nearly that long. It was a great read and a nice return to science fiction. It is an anthropological/first contact scifi novel in the vein of Mary Doria Russell or Orson Scott Card in which a mission sent from a dying Earth hopes to find a means to restart the human race on a distant planet.

A rich former opera singer funds a mission
Dogg
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Typically, I read during my lunch period. As a result I like books that have shorter chapters or frequent breaks or transitions within a chapter, so that I have convenient stopping points. The Braided World satisfied this requirement. The text also flowed well.

The premise of the book is that Earth has been ravaged by an little known force that left higher organisms vulnerable to bacterial and viral infections. It was devastating the human population. As a result, a small expedition sets out to a
Erika
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Although I like science fiction, this book didn't seem to well researched. What it lacked in substance, it tried to make up for in shock-value scenes. The characters were 2-dimensional, and the plot just dragged. I actually put the book down with only 50 pages to go and read a different book. Not a great one.
Kat
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Although exciting in the latter part of the book, the premise was slightly revolting (and surprisingly unexamined with regards to the gender issues,) and most of the characters were unappealing. The beginning was a bit of an infodump and while the rest of the book did improve with interesting themes and good pacing it just wasn't enough to make it genuinely good overall.
Sandro
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ottimo romanzo di sf antropologica, moderno e attuale, sulla tematica di xenobiologia. un primo contatto con una civiltà apparentemente umana ma fondata su un sistema sociale e biologico completamente diverso dal nostro. sulla scia di classici come The Lovers, di Farmer.
Dee
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was in the usual Kay Kenyon style, though her The Entire and the Rose series will always remain my favorite of her books. The Braided World has a fascinating plot, some memorable characters and room for dreaming at the end.
Scythan
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
The cover says something like "the most terrifying aliens are in humanity's image" so I thought it would be something more interesting than just a different culture on another world with a couple hidden differences.
Joey Sigmon
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
Meh
Staci
Jun 11, 2009 marked it as didnotfinish
Shelves: sci-fi
I was not able to finish this book, had to get it back to the library before I moved. I'm not really inclined to finish it. It was not really grabbing my attention.
Rashid Sial
Dec 14, 2012
Joe
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
  • White Devils
  • The Well of Stars (Great Ship, #2)
  • Banner of Souls
  • The Years Of The City
  • Fugue For A Darkening Island
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Beyond Apollo
  • The Meq
  • Memory
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Farewell Horizontal
  • Terraforming Earth
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Exiles To Glory
  • The Veiled Web
  • Brother to Dragons
  • Secret of the Lost Race
Kay Kenyon is a fantasy and science fiction author. Her latest work is a historical fantasy trilogy. In it, Kim Tavistock deals with dark psi-Talents, Nazi conspiracies, and espionage in 1936 Europe. Books one and three-- At the Table of Wolves and Nest of the Monarch --received starred reviews from Publishers Weekly. Book two, Serpent in the Heather, was called "Supremely entertaining" by Kirk ...more