Start by marking “Laddertop” as Want to Read:
Laddertop

Laddertop

3.23  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
An original science fiction tale by the bestselling author of Ender's Game and his daughter Twenty-five years ago, the alien Givers came to Earth and bestowed upon the human race the greatest technology ever seen--four giant towers known as Ladders that rise thirty-six thousand miles and culminate in space stations that power the entire planet. Then, for reasons unknown, t ...more
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Laddertop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laddertop

Lady Knight
Before I go any further, I'm going to admit that I listened to the audiobook edition (which was fantastic with a full cast of narrators and sound effects (the weird techno transition music was highly distracting however)) so I have no ability to comment on the effectiveness of the manga format for this story. However as Emily Janice Card had a hand in adapting it to audio, the whole package is very cohesive rather than the 'choppy' effect that usually happens whenever a highly visual/illustrated ...more
Shon Rand
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I listened to the audiobook, so that should be taken into account, but generally I thought Laddertop a highly juvenile riffing in OSC's own Ender series. It's not uninteresting, just underdeveloped and the ending is sudden.
Stacy
So often I read an audio book and think, "This would be wonderful if it had multiple voices and a few sound effects!" When I noticed this "enhanced" audio book on my library's site, I happily downloaded it even though I'm rather disinclined to read Orson Scott Card due to some previously read and disliked books.

In the beginning, it worked. The voices helped make it interesting and I was driving along, enjoying the story. Then, it just stopped being fun and started being dull. This is how it sou
Lisa
Alien "Givers" had come to earth and installed 4 giant towers that reach thousands of miles into space complete with the technology to meet the power needs of earth.
The "Givers" left, but very small humans are needed to run the towers. Each year children compete to enter Laddertop Academy and learn the skills to perform those actions. Robbie and Azure, 2 small 11 year old girls with a chance to go to Lattertop Academy, are best friends; one wants to attend and the other does not.

I enjoyed this v
Chris
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like most of OSC's books, but found this one lacking. I know it is the first in a series, but the ending was horrible. I was just about through the book and thinking that I had no idea where it was going and then it ended. No warning, no resolution, not even a suspenseful climax to make you anxious for the next installment. Needless to say, I was very disappointed and it makes me hesitant to pick up the next installment for fear of a similar experience. It was like having someone come in a shu ...more
Phil Chenevert
I listend to the enhanced audio edition did not like the multiple voices and dramatic reading aspect as a start. It just seemed clunky and distracting. The story was interesting of course, but the abrupt ending came as a shock. Probably I won't be listening to the next in the series.
Stacy

Despite a full cast, frequent sound effects, and trippy synthetic pop music between scenes, this did not translate well at all to audio. The story was fine, but the narration was stilted and everything just seemed off. I'll definitely be recommending the manga over the audiobook.
Amma Saunders
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how it used the plot from "Enders Game", but changed the theme of the book to make it more interesting. I like how it had some plot twists (kind of), and made you think. Can't wait to read the next book! :)
Scott Wright
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Listening was actually quite fun. well done for the kids. The story was a bit detached. I was disappointed to find at the end that this is a series of some kind. It is short so it has that going for it. A kid could read it in a day.
Mark Baller
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a great children's story I liked it too fun read and very quick also I did the audio version which I think is the way to go on this one cause of the great side effects and music in the audio.
Richard
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
YA series, good cast (audio performance), OK story.
Prof Plumb
Fast read. Young Adult. Interesting concepts. Traditional teen angst.
Kirstin
Graphic novels aren’t really my thing. Perhaps I will come back to this when my boys are a little bit older.
Brakston
It was only 2 Hours and leaves you hanging.
Emmalivin
Oct 22, 2015
Brandon Ingram
Jul 25, 2014
Mike
rated it did not like it
Dec 20, 2013
Sep 30, 2014
Kevin Petursson
Apr 18, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...