Start by marking “Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America” as Want to Read:

Now fully revised-the classic study of Neo-Paganism

Almost thirty years since its original publication, Drawing Down the Moon continues to be the only detailed history of the burgeoning but still widely misunderstood Neo- Pagan subculture. Margot Adler attended ritual gatherings and interviewed a diverse, colorful gallery of people across the United States, people who fin
Published October 3rd 2006 by Penguin Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing Down the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing Down the Moon

Eli
May 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Don't read this ('86) edition. Get the '06 version.
One of the grandmamma books on modern Paganism. There's a lot of fascinating history in this book, but it's much more of a snapshot of 1979 Pagan America and England, plus a tiny bit of updating for the new edition. But the new stuff felt less like the reconsidering the subject deserves and more like "where are they now?" tack-ons to the original material. Many of the groups Adler profiled originally have dwindled or died entirely, and several groups and movements I know were active in '86 are i ...more
Tim
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan-related
I am sure there are far better reviews out there for this book than I could write but I'll say that you can believe the hype about this book. I had heard about this for many years but never actually took the time to read it and boy do I feel silly now after completing it. This is probably one of the best resources for Pagans and non-Pagans alike in terms of accurately representing the cultural resurgence of Goddess and Nature oriented religions. After reading this I truly feel proud to call myse ...more
Cathy Douglas
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A clearly written history of paganism in America, including witches, druids, heathens and the whole ungainly lot of us. The book was first published in 1979, and has undergone a couple major updates. I could wish that the revisions were better incorporated, but it would be almost impossible to keep up with the rate of change in the pagan community. She's made a fair attempt to keep current; still, half the internet links I looked up are now defunct. Some of the groups she covers in-depth sound p ...more
Tempest
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's important to get the most currently updated version. I found the references section to be one of the most useful. It's not a "how to" book, or a B.O.S, it's more of a social study of paganism, the culture, history, beliefs, etc... It's definitely a worthwhile read, but it can be a difficult read. There is a lot of useful information to be found in it. As I said before, definitely get the most updated version you can find.
Steve Cran
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a classic, written in the 1980’s and has had several editions put out later. Due to the age of the book there may have been many developments in the Pagan arena , so some of the information might still seem dated. The authoress herself passed away on July 28, 2014.

Since Gerald Gardner birth the modern witchcraft revival, the Witch Craft Pagan community has grown by leaps and bounds. The most popular facet of the Pagan movement is the growth of Wicca, Gerald’s child. The face of the
Gabriel Clarke
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 2006 revision of a book I first read in 1984. It's a book that stayed with me in the back of my head through thirty odd years of spiritual dabbling and wandering and, given where I am now, has an additional fascination.
What strikes me most is how the tone of the book feels so much more personal than it did when I was 22. It's not an academic tome (though the research is thorough, the biases are clearly and reflexively pointed out and Adler goes to great trouble to present alternativ
Mikol
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This gets 5 stars for influence.

A couple of years prior to this read I had a spontaneous spiritual emergency as I came out of a meditation sitting in the sand at Alki Beach in Seattle.

I was familiar by this time with Starhawk and Reclaiming and had met people at the pagan bookstores and had taken a class or two with some pagans.

This book was a matter of fact reading about who's who in the pagan subculture, some history and an introduction to paganism in general. I liked that it was a survey of a
Collin Powell
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adler's "Drawing Down the Moon" is a fantastic anthropological overview of Neo-pagan religions in the United States since the 1970s. Written in a very engaging and approachable fashion, the prose is simple yet sufficient. Adler is able to remain objective whilst analyzing various aspects of the Craft and other pagan traditions despite being involved with them herself. She also frequently acknowledges where the study, conclusions, or data may be lacking finesse. Overall, a monumental piece of wor ...more
Shannon
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This kinda felt like reading an NPR episode, which is fitting because Adler was a host. Sometimes the book dragged, but there were some really intriguing parts of the book, I particularly liked Adler's reflections, and the reflections and opinions of Devlin.

I read the most recent edition of Drawing Down the Moon, and I'm glad I did, as it would have been really out dated had I read a second hand edition. This edition allows the reader to see where Adler views the craft in 2006, compared to wher
Chris
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spritituality
An excellent look at alternative spiritual paths in contemporary America that are inspired by ancient pagan practices.
Terri
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it really gave a clear picture of different pagan groups to help the mainstream gain understanding. I wonder though how much has changed since its publication....
Rachael Quinn
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I started looking at Wicca again, this book came up in list after list.  It was on lists for beginners and it was on lists for "people looking to get back into paganism."  When I started reading about Wicca and the occult way back in 1998 it was on all of the lists and that was before it got an updating.  I bought the book and it sat on my coffee table through a pregnancy AND a maternity leave and then it was moved to my bookshelf.  It just looked so big and I always have so many books to r ...more
Emily
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A relatively casual participant-observer investigation into neo-paganism and new age spirituality in the Western world. First written in the late 1970s, republished twice with updates. I read the 2006 updated version.

I think it was very helpful in understanding how neo-pagans and Wiccans conceptualized themselves, their spiritualities and histories at the times this book was written and updated. Very good insights on this front.

But I think that is perhaps where the usefulness ends, as I think
Noelle
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF
Chris Godwin
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and became inspired by some solid arguments for a case against monotheism, which I hope to use to help produce a sound theory around. One thing I found interesting was that Margo Adler supports the idea that monotheism, as a minority practice, has been with humanity since the inception of religion.

I was really surprised how much of the Wiccan myth I didn’t know about. Authors like Margaret Murray and works like Aradia were unknown to me before I read this book. I didn’
Kimi
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, adult, witchy
This was a good overview of modern paganism, I think, but I am using the term modern relatively. It's true, she did update the book in the 2000s, but most of the information in the bulk of her chapters was from the seventies with only minor updates at the end about how things were totally different now. I feel like as highly as this book was recommended, there really needs to be something similar done that truly is modern, not from decades ago. It just isn't accurate anymore.

A problem I have wit
Zaida Fernández
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maybe not the best book if you are completely new to the Wicca, Pagan movement. Although a thorough investigation into the world of Pagans in America, the book can be hard to read and hard to keep up with. Although, as the book states in many cases, it may simply be that the movement is really hard to clarify, with tons of different branches, rituals, beliefs and rules.

Having said this, the book is definitely worth reading if you want to get an idea of what’s out there, or at least where it sta
Kitty Snaev
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, love-love-love, pagan
Oh my god, I loved this book. So full of information in a fresh light, even for it being 40 or so years old. I learned so much, it opened my eyes and made me feel closer to my Path than ever before. This is something everyone interested in Paganism/Witchcraft or knows someone who is and is unsure of what that other person really means. The unity of disunity is what makes the Craft such a lovely thing, which was emphasized in this book- everyone is different and Paganism gets that, it understands ...more
Isobelle Fox
This is a wonderful book. I learned a great deal that I did not know about Wicca and other Pagan traditions in America. The writing was inspired, the reading was easy, and the whole was a joy.

It was truly amazing to follow the development of this spiritual and religious movement through its many phases, to see so many different sides of it and the people who live it and give it life. There is much here for pondering, and though the revised edition was published in 1987, the issues and ideas rais
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book should be mandatory when starting on this Pagan path! I had the honor of meeting Margot a few weeks before her death and I didn't know who she was at the time. She was a wonderful, insightful and magical woman though and I immediately went out and got this book. She goes through many of her personal choices and her history with nature based religion. However, the information doesn't end there! She really details the different branches of this religion and has an entire section of resou ...more
Kelly Weisner
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really liked that this was written by a journalist. I normally can't take reading new age-y stuff because I feel like it's propaganda. This book takes a truly critical account of Paganism in America during the 70's and 80's. The best part is Margot Adler was not an outsider to the world of Paganism, personal accounts about her own experiences make for a more interesting read. I'd love an updated version!
Hadassah Chayim
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-magic-folk
Not only is the book informative and easy to read, it's personable like she was. Drawing Down The Moon encompasses a huge variety of spiritual paths & traditions. Its writing is formed by not only book-knowledge but also personal experience and interviews with people closely associated with each path. I re-read it time and time again.

Note: The 2007 version is the most revised.
May Margot Adler's memory ever be for a blessing. Merry meet, merry part, and [until we] merry meet again.
Fostergrants
Oct 10, 2007 rated it liked it
coming from a christian background, i was amazed at the different categories of alternative spiritualities in this book. was that pc enough? anyways..where else would i learn about a group of men called "radical faeries"!
Tempus Loghyr
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and a must read for all Pagans and Pagan wannabes. Even if you have been a Pagan for years this book will teach you something. Very well done by a very respected member of the Mainstream media and Pagan communities.
Eric
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting but pretty vanilla coverage of the topic. It's not going to change your mind if you are pro or con-Wicca. It's not a tell all and is somewhat sympathetic. I read this in the 90's. Margot Adler is an NPR correspondent.
Bryn Donovan
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was actually a re-read for me--I first read it maybe 20 years ago, when I had a much different perspective. Because this edition dates to the mid-80s, it is something of a historical document, but still very informative.
Marni Boynton
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A starter book for the young among us, a book you learn can be used in many different ways by many different people. I would recommend that it sits on your book.
Christina Cathcart
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read on earth religions, feminist & queer spirituality, and ritual-craft.
Kristin
Excellent history of the pagan movement in America through the early 1980s. While Wicca receives a sizable portion of the book, other paths are well-represented.
Kerr Cuhulain
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great resource on the history of modern Wicca.
Book Witches: * ***OCTOBER 2018*** "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margot Adler 24 22 Oct 21, 2018 02:10PM
  • The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
  • Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions
  • Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex, and Politics
  • The Witches' Goddess
  • Maiden, Mother, Crone: The Myth & Reality of the Triple Goddess
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
  • The Holy Book of Women's Mysteries: Feminist Witchcraft, Goddess Rituals, Spellcasting and Other Womanly Arts
  • An ABC of Witchcraft: Past and Present
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • Evolutionary Witchcraft
  • A Book of Pagan Prayer
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Wheel of the Year: Living the Magical Life
  • Power of the Witch: The Earth, the Moon, and the Magical Path to Enlightenment
  • Real Magic: An Introductory Treatise on the Basic Principles of Yellow Light
“The first time I called myself a 'Witch' was the most magical moment of my life.” 173 likes
“If you are a woman and dare to look within yourself, you are a Witch. You make your own rules. You are free and beautiful. You” 8 likes