Start by marking “Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented” as Want to Read:
Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented

Pie It Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes, and Other Pastries Reinvented

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"It’s a conundrum I can’t understand. Someone’s hankering for pie; you can see the pie-longing in their eyes. They want a delicious flaky crust, something with buttery overtones. They want fresh fruit—not a vague whisper of berry in a butter cream, but overt chunks of apple, discernible bites of berry. But it’s just not done. You don’t serve pie at special events like fift ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pie It Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pie It Forward

Shoshana
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cookbook lovers, pie lovers, bakers
Shelves: favorites, 2012
I love it! Beautiful pictures; (fairly) clear instructions; great anecdotes, side notes, and tips; and I love the author's voice! Instructional, but casual and friendly at the same time. I already made the Chocolate Cream Pie (admittedly with a store-bought crust rather than homemade) and it was delicious!
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
Earl Grey Truffle Tart

Start there. This is easily the most creative, engaging, diverse treasury of recipes related to baking everything outside of cookies or cakes. It has many types of crust recipes, tons of good advice and lots of how to knowledge. A great reference work.
Dineen
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I’m picky when it comes to cook books. Designs, style, rich color photographs; I pay close attention to all of these things when I consider quality. Even more importantly, I look for recipes that I haven’t already seen hundreds of times. I look for recipes that actually work. All of my criteria are met in the new baking book by Gesine Bullock-Prado, Pie it Forward: Pies, Tarts, Tortes, Galettes & other Pastries Reinvented.
This is not Bullock-Prado’s first book. She had me hooked a few years
Sher
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This is much more than a pie book, because it is created by a pastry chef, and she also covers savories, pizza dough, strudel, puff pastry, and more. The writing style is very chatty and casual and for me does not work, because the author is a highly skilled and practiced pastry chef not a down home farm wife. What I mean is the chatty-- trying constantly to be amusing-- voice seems false for me when I look at the recipes and the techniques in this book. Still I was interested by what she though ...more
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pie lovers, tart lovers, dessert lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
Pie It Forward is a beautiful cookbook with lots of humor and lovely pictures. Based on the information inside (and it's worth reading if you're interested in the perfect crust for all types of pies, tarts, pizzas, etc.), the recipes sound like they're going to be amazing. As I've not tried any of them yet, I'm only giving 4 stars, but I'll update that as soon as I start baking from the recipes, which should be very soon.

The cookbook is full of a variety of treats for lovers of sweet and savory
Joella www.cinjoella.com
So the only reason I haven't given this five stars is that I didn't actually make anything. The instructions look fine...I think I understand what they are saying. But this looks like many of these creations are a lot of work to make. Much more so than I had time to play with this weekend. And I wish there were more pictures. However, if I ever wanted bakery quality desserts...this would be one of the books I would check out first. And for that fact (and the beautiful pie pops) I would totally g ...more
Lisa
Apr 20, 2012 added it
I am not going to rate this since I didn't actually try any of the recipes. That seems like the basis of a cookbook rating, doesn't it? Let me say this, it is really entertaining cookbook. Bullock-Prado is funny and informative. Did you know they really did use to bake blackbirds in pies? (as in the nursery rhyme) Turns out the type of bird and the number of birds put into a pie were a status symbol. One royal family member had whole peacocks. Gross! Anyways, it was interesting to read all the s ...more
Meg
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeously rendered baking book by Vermont's most famous baker, Gesine Bullock-Prado. Gesine's conversational and intimate style of writing make this cookbook as enjoyable to read as it is to pour over the exquisite photographs of pies in all shapes and sizes, from savory to sweet, simple to sublime.

She keeps an amazing website and blog is active on Facebook & Twitter, and shows up at book signings with more pies than you can shake a stick at. It's all good. Very good.

Treat yourself~
Mrs.
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I really liked the author's previous book, so I was optimistic about this one. While it is a nice, solid pie cookbook, it is not in the same league as Sugar Baby, her previous book. Most of the recipes are anything you could get from other pie cookbooks, and there are not enough pictures of finished dishes. There are some very helpful technique pictures, and the recipes are solid (although I would put a bit more thickener in my cherry pies because I don't like them really runny).
Michele
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this book at the library. I renewed it the maximum number of times & realized that I had to own this book. Gesine Bullock-Prado makes the most difficult pastry (phyllo) look like something I can do. She talks about pastry requiring finesse. I think I've always possessed the finesse of pastry. She helped me figure out a few more of the mysteries of pastry. I LOVE this book!
Bonnie
Jun 11, 2012 added it

I love to read this book ....and one of these days I will master pie baking. Gesine is both a talented baker and superb writer. And she has a delightful sense of humor. Raspberry Lemon Tartlets, Fruit Tart, Boston Cream Pie, Lemon Tartlets and Key Lime Pie are recipes I hope to make. And oh yes, her German Apple Custard Tart looks good.
Misty
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks-to-buy
This cookbook is sooooo good. How good? I was reading it on a 100 degree day and was inspired - nay, compelled! - to get off the couch and BAKE something (Bavarian calzones with chicken, lemon-garlic aioli, and brie). Must own this book...
Bernie
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pie It Forward review

This cookbook has an amazing amount of information about pie making. It boggles the mind. There's a lot of data to absorb. The only thing I didn't like was there's not a picture for every product.
Karyn
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed flipping through this cookbook. I do love baking, but I don't think I'm that inspired by pies. I enjoy a good pie, but I find them more comforting to make rather than inspiring. Still this book was perfect for a snowy afternoon.
Wendy
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm sure the recipes are delicious, but I'm not in a pie mood lately.
Melissa Fenton
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are a pie newbie, this is where to start. Gesine writes with humor and style. You will no longer fear pie crust.
Katherine
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
When I really want to go all out and make a spectacular pie, this is the book I use. It's worth the price just for all the pie crust recipes alone.
Heather
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • SprinkleBakes: Dessert Recipes to Inspire Your Inner Artist
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Butter Baked Goods: Nostalgic Recipes from a Little Neighborhood Bakery
  • Southern Pies: A Gracious Plenty of Pie Recipes, From Lemon Chess to Chocolate Pecan
  • The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook: Cookies, Cakes, Candies, and More
  • In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • Waffles: Fun Recipes for Every Meal
  • The Food52 Cookbook, Volume 2: Seasonal Recipes from Our Kitchens to Yours
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • The Messy Baker: More Than 75 Delicious Recipes from a Real Kitchen