Start by marking “The Wayward Child” as Want to Read:
The Wayward Child

The Wayward Child

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The Wayward Child is the true story of an Australian family, set in the WWII years and beyond. You will instantly warm to Rita, the wayward child, and her older sibling Joan. These two children share the common bond of a pitiful existence, played out with a rough diamond father who clearly wanted sons instead of daughters.

Their ladylike, demure mother was instrumental in t
Published (first published March 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wayward Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wayward Child

Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii
This is a memoir of the author's growing up in Australia during WWII. She is the younger of 2 daughters in a family where the father wanted sons. The father also has feels shame because he is exempt from serving in the military during the war. The family had a somewhat nomadic life for many years and often lived in very isolated places in the Australian outback, sometimes without electricity or indoor plumbing. Rita's mother is the glue that holds the family together, she has a can do attitude i ...more
Kerry
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting story as many of the places refered to in the book are familiar to me. Rita Lowther is a very good story teller and her vivid recollections of her childhood had me engrossed. Her language in parts was colourful and I found it unusual as I couldn't imagine my own mother, who is around the same age, using the same words as Rita. I guess it had a lot to do with the conditions they found themselves in and the people they encountered in their lives. Times were tough in t ...more
Dee
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished the book today and was very intrigued that I couldn't it down! The author captured her childhood brilliantly and the struggles her family endured during WWII. Great book!!
Janet
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will laugh and cry along with the author. This is a poignant true story about a girl growing up in Australia under hardship. Very well written and captivating. I give this five stars.
Jolie
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Autobiography of the author growing up in the bush with a totally dysfunctional family.
Kristina Pullen
Good Good Good!
Mary
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a tough one. It was long, easy to put down. However, I always went back to read some more.

I enjoyed the story. I am wondering if this is one that would have been better to read as a book and not on my kindle???

Alison