Start by marking “Training Daze (Kris Longknife, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Training Daze (Kris Longknife, #3.5)

Training Daze

(Kris Longknife #3.5)

An exciting military Science Fiction novella set between Mike Shepherd’s third and fourth Kris Longknife novels. Kris Longknife dodges assassins, gains an unwelcome (though rather handsome) bodyguard, and puts together a training squad to travel from planet to planet, preparing crews for the newest, fastest, and deadliest fighting ship. And, of course, nothing goes as plan ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Training Daze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Training Daze

Start your review of Training Daze (Kris Longknife, #3.5)
Patrick Hester
You can skip this. Book 4 gives you the gist in the first chapter.
Jean
This is a novella #3.5 in the Longknife series. Kris and her crew are tasked to set up a training command for foreign navies buying Wardhaven’s fast attack boats.

Kris’s body guard, who works for the Secret Service is drafted into the Marines. This is explained in humorous detail. This adds lots more detail of how Jack got into the marines.

I am enjoying the series and that also includes the novella. Please note it is best to read this series in order, otherwise you will feel lost. I am enjoying t
Jeffrey Jelmeland
It filled in some missing pieces of things that happened between the books, but it really wasn't any of his best work. Worth the read, but not worth raving about.
Steven Allen
Very short novella that I am glad I borrowed from the library rather than bought from Amazon. Didn't notice the errors some other have mentioned.

I can see why it was cut from a book as it does little to the story other than force Jack and Kris together.
Marianne Boutet
Poor Kris. Maybe she should change her name?
Andreas
This novella fills in some of the events following Kris Longknife – Defiant. Kris and her cohorts are tasked to set up a training command for foreign navies buying Wardhaven’s fast attack boats.

It’s a cute little piece with plenty of banter between the now familiar main characters, in particular Kris and Jack. How the latter was drafted into the Marines is explained in humorous detail.

Note: Shepherd has previously written about our heroine’s great-grandfather Raymond under his real name, Mike Mo
Dee
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've not given this more stars because it started great but then suddenly seemed to get bored with itself and peter out. Yes, it's a short story and I really enjoyed seeing how Jack became a marine but then after Harmony we get shorter and shorter on details. I'd've liked a bit more detail about the various attempts on Kris' life before leaving each successive planet. I hadn't read this before as it wasn't out when I first purchased the books and while it was nice to see, it's not necessary for ...more
Lou
That was fun - I hadn't read this one before, so it was good to get some fresh material in between re-reading the first few books of the series. Resolute does fill you in on the essentials enough that it doesn't matter if you have missed this, but I did like learning the extra details, and especially getting that look inside Jack's head. ...more
Laz the Sailor
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, short
I really enjoy the adventures of Kris Longknife and her lethal associates. This interlude really didn't add much to the story, except how Jack became a Marine. Clever short story, but not up to the standard of the full-length stories.
Andrew
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-sci-fi
This is a good short story add in to the book series, This book was really made in two different parts first you see the training Kris is giving other planets and the second is a very humorous look into how Jacks tricked into recrutiment into the marines.
Eileen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kris has trouble

Everyone can appreciate that Kris has ability if only people didn't keep trying to kill her. That makes her an inconvenience to have on your planet. We also learn how Jack became a Marine and it was Trouble's idea. The usual fun in a novelette.
Robin C.
You need to read this little e-book to understand # 4.
Ariel
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Fun little novella to a series I really enjoy. Only problem I have is the obvious one - I miss Tommy. Jack's great, but I really miss Tommy.
Summer
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of his books in this series are amazing! love them! Incredibly visceral characters and inordinately detailed action and worlds!
Ben
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the short story a lot.... It filled in the blank between Book 3 and 4.
Mary
Novella
Kathleen Kurdziel
Ties up some loose ends from the full length novels of the series, but it's really not much of a story.
Dan
Short but good.
Stephen Graham
An OK novella in the series. Given that many of the volumes in the series read as if they were two novellas lumped together, I'm not certain why this is a stand-alone.
Terence
This could have just been the first 55 pages of the 4th book in my opinion, i first picked that up and i felt like i really missed some info in this little book.
ThomyZ
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Meh. I usually enjoy novellas and short stories that elaborate on an existing series, but this just reads like a chapter or two that were cut from the previous or following book.
Michelle
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series, reasonably entertaining novella. Not as funny as they can be, but it gives some very good background.
Brian
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a neat look at the earlier life of Kris.
Keith Symcox
Ryan
Nov 16, 2019
Scott
Mar 26, 2015

• To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
  • For Honor We Stand (Man of War, #2)
  • Brothers in Valor (Man of War, #3)
  • The Empire's Corps (The Empire's Corps, #1)
  • Voices of the Fall (Black Tide Rising)
  • The Valley of Shadows (Black Tide Rising Book 6)
  • Torch of Freedom (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #2)
  • Cross The Stars
  • Spacehounds of IPC (Pyramid SF, T2618)
  • The Far Kingdoms (Anteros, #1)
  • Black Tide Rising
  • The Warrior
  • The Sharp End
  • At Any Price (Hammer's Slammers)
  • Rolling Hot
  • Counting the Cost
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
  • A Call to Duty (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #1)
A pseudonym used by Mike Moscoe.

Mike was born in the Philadelphia Navy Yard Hospital -- and left that town at the age of three days for reasons he does not presently recall. But they had to draft him to get him back there. He missed very little of the rest of the country. Growing up Navy, he lived about everywhere you could park an aircraft carrier.

Mike was one of those college students who didn'

Kris Longknife (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)

News & Interviews