Start by marking “Grandma's Wartime Baking Book: World War II and the Way We Baked” as Want to Read:
Grandma's Wartime Baking Book: World War II and the Way We Baked

Grandma's Wartime Baking Book: World War II and the Way We Baked

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Anyone who loves great American desserts will delight in Grandma's Wartime Baking Book. The result of extensive research, interviews, and recipe testing, Joanne Lamb Hayes's follow-up to Grandma's Wartime Kitchen delivers beloved and still irresistible recipes for cakes, pies, cookies, cobblers, muffins, breads, and other baked treats created by women on the Home Front dur ...more
Published November 14th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Grandma's Wartime Baking Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandma's Wartime Baking Book

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I loved both of her Grandma's wartime cookbooks. This was the baking book. Back then butter and sugar were rationed so they found other ways to sweeten desserts (like using the syrup the fruit was packed in) but in today's world it would be considered a healthier dessert.
Clare
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a watchful eye, you'll find low sugar recipes here... but watch out for that standard replacement during the war years: white corn syrup. I marked several recipes to try.

I especially enjoyed the reprints of the war posters encouraging the homemakers to grown their own, to conserve, etc.
Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt
Nothing flashy, without recipe or period photos. But does have a lot of unusual recipes from the era...that meet rationing regulations! Haha
Terri
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Good illustrations and pictures of wartime posters. Very good narrative for recipes and chapters that explained rationing and how recipes were developed to cope with the rationing.
Diane
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading and have tried some of the recipes. There are many simple recipes that kids can easily make.
Rachel
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish the recipes hadn't be updated. I would have prefered the original recipes with suggestions for updates.
Kate
Dec 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a Christmas gift from my sweetheart, and it is a delightful and incredible read about baking during a very different time in history. There are some recipes I'm intrigued to try.
Miki