Start by marking “Gardner's Art through the Ages: The Western Perspective (with ArtStudy CD-ROM 2.1, Western)” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
As the market-leading text for the art history survey course, GARDNER'S ART THROUGH THE AGES has served as a comprehensive and thoughtfully crafted guide to the defining phases of the world's artistic tradition. The story of art unfolds in its full historical, social, religious, economic, and cultural context, deepening students' understanding of art, architecture, paintin ...more
Published February 8th 2005 by Wadsworth Publishing (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Gardner's Art through the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardner's Art through the Ages

Kamal
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this book in its entirety for a first-year art history course that I took this year. It's a hefty tome, but easy to read and isn't too bombastic about the glory of the Western Tradition, an attitude that you find all too often in other books of the kind (cf. Janson's History of Art). If you're interested in finding out about Western art's greatest hits, this is the place to look for them. Also, the photo-reproductions are very well done--a beautiful book in itself.
Katie
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just took the Second half of art history. Super interesting class. The text helps put things into better context and gives more insight into some of the most famous works of art. I am looking forward to taking the first half of the class this summer.
Update:
If you like art or are interested in art History this is a very comprehensive look at western art.
Justine Highsmith
Dec 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I've used this book for all of my Western art history classes, and it was an excellent resource for my lectures. Easy to read, and interesting enough to pick up if you're looking for a brief but concise overview of the history of western art.
Erika Couto
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Personally I hate this textbook. Class was a much better way for me to learn anything about art, though the images were pretty HQ.
Merry
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-art-history
School days - great class Dr. Diane Goode
Melanie
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful text I read during art history classes. Four stars because reading almost any textbook becomes tedious in large doses.
Brittany Sanford
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-read
I always come back to this book.
Lane Wilkinson
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
You have to love the Kelly on the jacket.
Yousuf
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-explained, good pictures. Very big and heavy though.
Jayme