Start by marking “Library Lion” as Want to Read:
Library Lion

Library Lion

An affectionate storybook tribute to that truly wonderful place: the library.

Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, is very particular about rules in the library. No running allowed. And you must be quiet. But when a lion comes to the library one day, no one is sure what to do. There aren't any rules about lions in the library. And, as it turns out, this lion seems very w
Published July 25th 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Library Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library Lion

Start your review of Library Lion
Calista
I have been looking for some books with a library setting and this is one of the first ones I found. I love this story. One day a lion walks into the library. There are no rules against lions so everyone is nervous, but they let him stay. He becomes a huge help to the staff and he dusts books and does other chores. He becomes important to the library.

One day the head librarian takes a tumble and needs help so the lion has to break the no yelling rule to get help. He knows he broke the rules, so
Candace
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-5-star
One day a lion visits the library. He soon discovers he likes story hour in the children's room. Miss Merriweather, the head librarian, tells the lion he may return for story hour if he obeys the rules. Soon the lion is there everyday to hear the story but also to help at the library. One day an accident happens and the lion breaks the rules. Are there times when rules are meant to be broken?

An enchanting book filled with colorful illustrations. It introduces children to the joys of
Elaine Mullane
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
One day, a lion walks into the library (the New York Public Library, mind you, where I actually bought this book). And, because there are no rules against a lion being in the library, he is allowed to stay. After all, he doesn't make any noise: his paws are quiet on the library floor and he doesn't roar. And the children adore him, especially at story hour, when they lean against his soft, warm fur.

Then one day, something happens in the library that causes the lion to react as lions
Melki
Everyone is understandably startled when a lion shows up for story hour, but he soon proves himself to be a most valuable volunteer.

description

A warm, fuzzy, and touching tale made even more special by Kevin Hawkes' beautiful illustrations.
Ann
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of cats, libraries, or if you want a broader understanding of rules
Recommended to Ann by: Katie!
What a sweet and touching story! The book is about a lion who decides to visit the library and stays. He helps out amongst the library staff and the children love him! And when someone falls and gets hurt, the lion must decide how to save them - even if it means breaking the rules.
The book is filled with beautiful pictures and a heartfelt writing style. The main characters are each unique and distinct. And there is a great message about rules being rules, but that even rules can be broken
Robert
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, 2009, 2010, favorites
Should a children’s book aim to teach important lessons to kids or just exist to entertain? This is a false choice and Library Lion shows just how possible it is to do both. I loved this book about a lion who falls in love with story time at the library, breaks the rules – by roaring in protest when story time is over – and is allowed to stay only on the condition that he obeys all of the rules from then on. Eventually there is a choice to be made between following the rules and roaring to fetch hel ...more
Rikke
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rikke by: Gitte Winneche
This is perhaps one of the cutest things I've ever read. Lions, libraries and love. What more can you ask for, really?
Liliana
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not asking for a lion, but can we have a library cat?
Margaux
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
If I cry for a book it gets five stars.
babyhippoface
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
A lion in the library? Well...give him a chance. As long as he's not breaking any rules (like roaring in the library), he can stay. But what happens when there's a problem, and a friend needs help? Is it okay to roar then?

Hawkes' illustrations have an old-fashioned, soft, kind of washed-out look to them, echoing the idea that the library is a place for muted voices (again--no roaring). Even very young children can read the lion's expressive face and understand how it's feeling at various points
Brina
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is one of our top five kids books ever. My kids are for the most part past the read to me stage but we love this book about a lion in the library so much that it ends up in our house every two to three months or so.
Roxanne (The Novel Sanctuary)
Such a sweet and touching story! Love libraries and lions.
Nadine Jones
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
There aren't enough wonderful adjectives in my vocabulary for me to be able to adequately express just how very wonderful the lion is. This story has it all: excitement, satisfaction, comedy, drama, melodrama, jealousy, suspicion, angst, sorrow, and joy. There's a lion ... In the library!
Skip
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A delightful children's book, with quality illustrations. And a moral message too. A strict librarian runs a tight ship, and nobody is quite sure what to make of a lion, who likes to be there. Turns out that he is a nice addition to the library, especially when things go wrong and he has to break the rules.
Soňa
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet read about importance of the rules and fact that sometimes they need to be broken.
I loved the illustrations and fact that main character of the book is lion who loves libraries (for sure we have something in common :)

Kathryn
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful!!! I loved it!!! Great for cat-lovers and library-lovers. Please, Library Lion, come to the El Dorado Hills library! ;->
Renée Paule
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful book with a moral.
Tisha
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a cute book about a lion who broke the library rule for a good reason! So adorable! ^_^
Chelsea
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read, re-read, read, re-read, read, re-read and read this book some more! THIS BOOK IS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! Not only does this book make kids question why there is a lion in the library, but it teaches them that the library is a place for everyone and that sometimes there is a good reason for breaking the rules set in place. The illustrations, the story line, the magic and the giggles have made this one of my favorite books. I shall continue to read this book for years to come (and I thi ...more
Evelyn
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-ya
I saw a recommendation for this book on Goodreads. I checked it from the library. What a lovely children's book! The story is so funny and unique. The illustrations by Kevin Hawkes are just enchanting. I've always loved to visit libraries from the time I discovered their existence. This story of a lion who loves to visit the library is endearing and also has a moral. Sometimes it's necessary to break the rules if you have a very good reason. I think children should be introduced to this book in ...more
Lisa Vegan
I enjoyed the terrific illustrations by Kevin Hawkes; they really make the book special. I love libraries, lions, and encouraging kids to think for themselves, in addition to learning to follow the rules. This book has all that.
Luisa Knight
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Aww, such sweet illustrations! Loved them. And the story was cute too.

The moral: it's okay to break rules sometimes if there's a good reason.

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
Alice Bennett
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was recommended to me. It's a lovely book about a friendly lion who has a passion for stories and the library. It is ideal for inspiring young children to read and visit both the school and their local libraries. The class could have their own library lion that is given to one child each week to go on a reading adventure, they would take pictures and write about the lion discovering new books and having a bedtime story etc. It teaches children about acceptance.
Kris
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet without being saccharine, in both the story and the illustrations. Sometimes there is a good reason to break the rules. Lion can come to my library anytime.
Tina
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
love this story about a lion that wanders into a library and listens to story time. When story time is over he roars in protest. Roaring is not allowed. He is only allowed to come back when he promises to come back. He becomes an indispensable part of the library. One day he breaks the rules. He has good reason but.... Perfect story for teaching about rules and sometimes you may have to break a rule.
midnightfaerie
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 2 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. The illustrations made the lion very lovable, so much so that you just wanted to hug him. A great addition to any children's library.
Scottsdale Public Library
I loved every second of this book: cats, libraries, beautiful illustrations, and rule-following. What a wonderful mix of teaching and entertainment!
– Michelle V.
Angela Blount
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story, with softly colored illustrations and a gentle-yet-important message.

I was pleased that some segments of this book were pretty dense with text, albeit in a large enough font to still be well accessible to smaller children. My 7-year-old picked it out from her school library, and it held her steady engagement. But it was my studiously rule-driven 8-year-old who probably got the most out of it. (The ultimate moral of the story being it's sometimes okay to break certain rules--par
Alexandria
I'm a sucker for any book set in a library. But when you add a heart-warming story about biases, making friends, and finding your place in a community and I am all for it. I'm going to buy a son a copy for Christmas. Hopefully it will teach him the rules of the library, why they're important - and when to understand that friends are more important.
Alison Strandell
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Showcases the magical atmosphere of the library =)

• Wild About Books
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • Bats at the Library
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • The Library
  • But Excuse Me That Is My Book
  • That Book Woman
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Library Lil
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • The Library Dragon
  • Tomás and the Library Lady
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • Please Bury Me in the Library
  • The Lonely Book
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Dog Loves Books
I'm the author of 47 books for young readers for all ages. Titles include the New York Times best-selling picture book Library Lion (illustrated by Kevin Hawkes); the middle-grade fantasy novels The Dragon of Trelian, The Princess of Trelian, and The Mage of Trelian; and the YA novels Evil Librarian (which won the 2015 Sid Fleischman Award for Humor) and Revenge of the Evil Librarian.

My next book will be the final novel in my Evil Libraria