Start by marking “Barry” as Want to Read:
Barry

Barry

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Barry came to save the world but has been stuck down the back of the couch, in a memorably inventive story with a unique take on environmental themes

Barry may be no larger than a can of beans, but his powers are awesome. The trouble is, he has been trapped down the back of the couch for more than 50 years, unable to do the job he was built for. His creators have gone back
Published May 1st 2012 by Penguin Random House Australia (first published August 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Barry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barry

Rosa
Jul 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Read this at work to see if it would go with a robot themed story time I am working on. It started off cute with the robot falling behind the couch and mysteriously controlling the Earth. As the story went on it took a bizarre turn with dirty words being written on baby hands and seemingly ending in a new ice age? It got a little too weird for me.
Melissa
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is difficult to assign stars to, since I don't think it works narratively or thematically as a picture book for young children, but for tweens and teens who could pick up on the humor, enjoy the individual collage elements, and make the connection to global warming, it could be an interesting exploration of short story structure and science fiction motifs.
Gaby
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lyn Battersby
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: awards
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I will be reviewing and rating this once the AAs are announced.

Dee-Ann
Great pictures, quirky dialogue, but it was a bit sombre and creepy for me and my son twice fell asleep half way through the book whilst I was reading it to him (not sure if this was a plus point or a minus point for this book).
Sam Atkinson
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this to my class, they thought it was ok. I though it was average.
Teresa
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Wasn't as cute as I thought it was gonna be.
Syd
Oct 24, 2013
Tehani
Sep 25, 2011
Christopher
rated it did not like it
May 18, 2015
Wendy
Jul 09, 2012
Kate
Mar 25, 2015
Since he started writing and illustrating children's books in 1990, Colin Thompson has had more than 50 books published. He has received several awards, including an Aurealis Award for the novel HOW TO LIVE FOREVER and the CBC Picture Book of the Year in 2006 for THE SHORT AND INCREDIBLY HAPPY LIFE OF RILEY. He has been shortlisted for many other awards, including the Astrid Lindgren Award - the m ...more