Start by marking “The Witness” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  75,976 ratings  ·  5,479 reviews
Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever.

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer,
Paperback, Large Print, 757 pages
Published April 17th 2012 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Witness, please sign up.
Meg It is definitely worth reading. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It has quite a few twists and turns, and a love interest you can't help …moreIt is definitely worth reading. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It has quite a few twists and turns, and a love interest you can't help but fall in love with.(less)
Jayna No. Nora Roberts doesn't do sequels. She will do trilogies, and back in the day she had a few series. …moreNo. Nora Roberts doesn't do sequels. She will do trilogies, and back in the day she had a few series. (less)

·  75,976 ratings  ·  5,479 reviews

Start your review of The Witness
♡Karlyn P♡

Nora Roberts is BACK!! OK, I know many of you didn’t realize she left, but over the last few years her newer books have not cut it for me.  I found several of her latest stories full of filler and irrelevant content, and the core stories suffered as a result.  But in The Witness the story was  tight, the characters interesting, the romance swoon worthy, and the suspense totally believable.  Everything tied together, just like a great story should!

I never thought romance suspense was Ms Roberts b
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

When I tell people that I read romance, they often ask, "Like Nora Roberts?" I'll confess, I used to scoff at those people. I viewed myself as way hipper or cooler than Nora Roberts... but now that I've actually TRIED her stuff, I'll admit that I was dead wrong.

Nora Roberts can write her ass off.

This book is for fans of quirky, independent women. It is for us geeks and smarties, for fans of sex-positive female characters. It is for lovers of romantic suspense that isn't overly dramatic.

Frankly
A.
4 stars

What a pleasant surprise!

I’m new to Nora Roberts and, to tell you the truth, I didn’t expect too much. I mean, my neighbor was reading her books while I was crying over Bambi’s mom.

Well I was wrong. Everything was kick ass good, though the heroine outshone everybody and everything. She’s one badass chick and I want to be her best friend. One of my most favorite heroines ever.

QUICK REVIEW:

Secondary characters: 4/5
Ho
Sal
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't get me wrong. This book is great. But it could have been so much more.

Though I haven't read any other books by Nora Roberts, I know she's a romance writer, not crime, or thriller, but I couldn't help wishing this book was a crime/thriller. The set-up to the main plot was really really good, fascinating, but then the rest of the book never reaches that level again.

To be honest, I'm a bit mean giving this two stars, but on a comparative level to the books I would give three stars, it falls
Kay ☄. *. ⋆ catching up mode
I stumble upon this wonderful story by luck. I'm participating in a reading challenge and needed a book for Arkansas state. The first two books I tried weren't for me so The Witness was my third choice and turns out to be a terrific read! 💕

What I enjoyed most about The Witness is the wonderful cast of characters. Elizabeth/Abigail is a brilliant heroine. She's somewhat quirky, very smart, and has a photographic memory. She's socially awkward because she was raised by a controlling and heartless
Karen Bonilla
May 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
WARNING*** Contains Spoilers. I'm a big fan of Nora Roberts but I'm not sure why people gave this book such rave reviews. This book started out with a bang. Elizabeth is a 16 year old genius rebelling against her cold,controlling mother. She meets up with a Russian mafia don and witnesses the brutal murder of a mafia henchman and her teenaged female friend. She ends up on the run for her life. Twelve years later, she moves to a small town and meets and falls in love with the local sheriff, Brook ...more
Jilly
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
“If I wanted friends, I’d join a book club.”

Yeah, I like this girl. She had an extremely shitty day when she was 16.

No, even shittier than this one.

She witnessed a double murder and became the key to taking down a powerful organized crime family. This led to witness-protection, and more murders, and then to a life on the run until we find her living as a hermit in the Ozarks.

All she ever wanted to do was fit in. But, it just wasn't meant to be.

Missed it by that much.

So, our heroine meets up
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo nr_zps082add22.jpg

Nora Roberts has always been THAT author for me. The author that you know no matter what mood you were in, her books would be just right. But for some unexplainable reason, I have not read one of her books in such a long time. So when I received The Witness as a gift from my wonderful friend, I dove right in. And, as sure as the sun rises in the East, the book was perfect in every way.

First, I want to introduce you to Elizabeth Fitch. She is the sixteen year old daughter of Dr. Susan L. Fit
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense

It’s hard to deny the talent and mass appeal of Nora Roberts considering The Witness is her 200th book. I mean...wow! That is quite an impressive achievement and a boon for romance readers. I consider myself a fan of hers, and I especially loved her Bride Quartet series and the few J.D. Robb In Death books that I’ve read. Some of her books tend to be a little bit too generic and plain vanilla for my taste, but I occasionally enjoy their comfort lik
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
I absolutely loved this book! My emotions were all over the place on this one from happy, sad, scared, anticipation and profound sarrow for the heroine.

photo 67208DA6-7C6A-4A44-85A3-C28F178BE4BA_zps7dehnj1k.jpeg

I absolutely fell in love with the strong yet venerable girl/woman and I loved that she finally found someone that she can finally count on. Brooks and liz/Abby have become my all time FAVORITE Nora Roberts H&h...my only issue is that I wish we had more of an epilogue.
Ingie
Written July 17, 2015

4 1/2 Stars - Fantastic listening and a good well told thrilling plot. I'm to be honest surprised, but this NR romance impressed me...much

I bought this Nora Roberts as an 16:18 hrs audiobook (narrated by Julia Whelan) already back in March. I honestly thought I was finished and done with NB-books several years ago, but never say never.

The Witness (from 2012) has got so many happy reviews, and was much appreciated by both Kathleen and Heather as an audiobook. Convinced by fr
MelissaB
Fantastic read featuring one of the best heroines I have seen in a long time. She was so smart and capable, it was fun to see her try to understand how to deal with the friendly people in her new hometown. The hero was such a great personality, he was funny and easy going but had endless patience to get through all of Abigail/Liz's barriers (which she had very good reasons for having). I enjoyed all of this book, parts were very suspenseful and other parts were funny and engaging. Nora Roberts s ...more
Foxfire
Jun 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
DNF for me. I loved the first 25% where the young Elizabeth breaks free from her controlling mother and witnesses a murder.

The next section shows her 12 years later, living a life in hiding. This is where the story fell apart for me.

1. After 2-3 brief conversations, Elizabeth, a recluse who avoids all human contact, and Brooks, a police chief on duty, engage in bold banter about whether to have sex or not. I felt this was totally out of character and unrealistic.

2. In the next scene, we get the
Karla
4 ½ Stars!
Very enjoyable read by Nora Roberts. Being a huge fan of her In Death series, which she writes under the pseudonym of J D Robb, I wanted to give her other books a try. I found myself totally absorbed in this compelling and intriguing novel. From the exciting beginning, when Liz becomes a witness to a brutal crime, to her transformation into Abigail, loner and security expert, I was drawn to her character and circumstances. The town where she settles is full of interesting c
Lizzy
The Witness is a great entertainment. There is a controlling mother, murder and a teenager-witness, corruption, betrayal, hiding under an alias and building a new life, constant fear of discovery and romance (it’s a Nora Roberts book, after all). If you are looking for some angst and thrilling moments, it might be just the pick for you. ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress
I want to thank Shawna for recommending this book to me. In all honesty, I am not a huge fan of Nora Roberts' romance novels, although I do like her JD Robb In Death series. While this book didn't change my opinion of her on convert her to a must-read author for me, I enjoyed this book, and I can see she is a very good writer. Having said that, I don't find her romance style very moving personally. As far as suspense, she definitely works better for me.

This novel feels like an odyssey. It start
Catherine
After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that it has been quite a while since I have read a new standalone book by Nora Roberts. It was a nice change. I have no problem reading about a group of friends or relatives in a trilogy, but it was nice to know that everyone I met in the book existed solely to enrich this book.

One thing I love about this author is the way she sets up the backstory. If you’re familiar with her work then you probably already know that she likes to cut her books into s
Corina
Sometimes when I get into a funk, I need a re-read, most often than not it's one of a handful of Nora Roberts favourites. They never get old, always deliver, and check all my romance boxes.

This time it's about a hacker heroine, a trusty canine companion, and a small town sheriff who is just the right amount of pushy. So good!!!

___________________________________
Find more reviews and book recommendations on my blog.

Find me on Bookstagram.
Duchess Nicole
While this book took a loooong time to get set up, even the setup part was really good. Elizabeth rebels against her robot Mom (she's not really a robot, but the lady doesn't hug, wear color, or do anything without a schedule) when she's sixteen. That's what teenagers do, and even though Liz is a bit of a mini-robot, she's still a teenager girl who wants to live her own life, not the one her 'mother' picks for her.

This one decision leads to the witnessing of a horrible crime committed by a crim
Tiff
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.35 -- well this was a solid read. The character building is top notch and while it was mostly meant to be a drama/thriller, I sure did giggle a few times.

The story was really immersive and I liked the double layer of bad guys, both near and far.

I loved the idea of an intelligent, bad ass, independent woman learning that the worst thing you can say in life is "I've always done it this way". Crossing over the threshold of fear to find her way in the world.

I've got to be honest though, I expected
♥Rachel♥
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book, mystery
3.5-4 Stars for the story and writing.

3 Stars for narration. The narrator sounded very young and that was fine when Elizabeth was sixteen, and just okay when she was twenty-eight. Her male voices were okay. The narrator's Russian accent was very good.
NMmomof4
3.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was enjoyable. I liked the characters and I liked how they worked so well together. I appreciated the balance between romance and suspense, which is usually one of my gripes with this genre when it isn’t that good balance. However, I would’ve liked more steam and I would’ve liked a lot more in the end. I felt like towards the end there was actually too much focus on the fluffy romance parts and enough focus on the results of her work against the bad guys she was u
Angie
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
At age 16 Elizabeth Fitch has a fight with her mom and rebels from the strict atmosphere of home. She does something stupid (makes fake IDs and goes to a club) and disaster ensues. She witnesses a double murder by the Russian mob. Even though she is drunk and sick, she has a photographic memory so she can tell the cops everything that happened. She is placed in Witness Protection but the house is breached by bad cops and her protectors die. Elizabeth/Liz goes on the run for the next 12 years. Sh ...more
Kathleen
4.5 stars, upped to 5 because I keep re-playing it. Lol. LOVE the book and the narrator! (But a few quibbles, listed further below). Great narration by Julia Whelan. What a performance! She transformed the print version into something even more vivid, poignant, funny, and heartwarming.

This is Nora Roberts' 200th book, but I had never read her before. I understand this is outside her normal formula to some degree. I loved it. A feel-good story, despite small-town thugs, big-city murder, corrupt
Kristal
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 stars just because I became so engrossed that I burned the chicken and had to order pizza! This was classic Nora Roberts.

Quick summary --- Liz witnesses a double murder, gets put in protective custody, her safety is compromised and she runs for 12 years. She settles in a small town and Brooks, the local chief of police, and her become involved. :)

Abigail (what Liz is know as now) learns that being alive is not the same as having a life. She finds a man (Brooks) who loves her even after he fin
Lexy
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing
Mei
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Oh, I loved Abigail soooo much!!! She reminded me of Brennan!

She's a genius, but she's akward in human relations. She's literal and overly logical. Just like Brennan!

And does Brooks resembles Booth? Not exactly. He's much easier than Booth, more cunning and ingenious! He know how to treat Abigail and her sternness. How to reach the soft woman inside her. And it's a real pleasure to read it!

Abigail, being a real genius, recognize and doesn't loose time accepting that Brooks is The One for her!

I l
KatieMc
Sep 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Stoooopid book, stoooopid character. I love books with strong female characters. I love female role models who are competent with technology. Unfortunately The Witness did not deliver at all. The main character was robot, and she played out like the old sitcom trope where the outer space alien, who only has book-knowledge of typical customs and behaviors, tries to pass as human. Couple that with the obvious fact that the author knows squat about computer science and information security, and you ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy, audiobook
This book was pure awesome. That should be the end of my review, but since I'm an unashamed blowhard, I'll probably go on a bit more.

Elizabeth Fitch/Abigail Lowery is a unique heroine. Planned and scripted from birth, right down to the selection of donor father, Elizabeth has had zero input in her activities, friends, or scholarship. She put up with that for 16 years but when her mother cancelled vacation when Elizabeth returned from her first year at Harvard (some of the planning panned out an
Tim
Jan 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
5 stars number 2 for '22. Interesting and well crafted throughout. 9 of 10 stars ...more

• Mr. Perfect
  • Open Season
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Heartbreaker (Buchanan-Renard, #1)
  • Love Auction: Too Risky to Love Again
  • Desperation in Death (In Death, #55)
  • Kill and Tell (CIA Spies, #1)
  • Love on the Line 2 (Women at Work, #2)
  • Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)
  • Dream Man
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • After the Night
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Cry No More
  • Forgotten in Death (In Death, #53)
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • Abandoned in Death (In Death, #54)
  • Faithless in Death (In Death, #52)
See top shelves…
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including Hideaway, Under Currents, Come Sundown, The Awakening, Legacy, and coming in November 2021 -- The Becoming -- the second book in The Dragon Heart Legacy. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her book ...more