Start by marking “Bom Boy” as Want to Read:
Bom Boy

Bom Boy

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Leke is a troubled young man living in the suburbs of Cape Town. He develops strange habits of stalking people, stealing small objects and going from doctor to doctor in search of companionship rather than cure. Through a series of letters written to him by his Nigerian father whom he has never met, Leke learns about a family curse; a curse which his father had unsuccessfu ...more
Paperback, First, 250 pages
Published October 24th 2011 by Modjaji Books (first published September 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bom Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bom Boy

Read In Colour
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
It took me quite a while to figure out who the characters were and which era they belonged to. The author doesn't prepare readers for the characters/time period switches initially and it was so confusing. I also was unable to connect with any of the characters, which was disappointing because I enjoyed the characters in the author's previous work, The Woman Next Door.
Ken
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Have you ever watched the TV Show Mr Robot? If yes, then you have a pretty good idea of the main character in this book. Frustratingly reticent, socially awkward.I have not read anything else by Omotoso, but this particular book did not really do it for me. The cover screams out that it was shortlisted for this and that, and is a prize winning text. OK. Tastes differ, I guess.
Why didn't I like the book?
1. There is something formulaic about the way Omotoso drags the story on, just keeping key plo
Paige Nick
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
So lovely. I really enjoyed it.
Puleng Hopper
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The story follows the life of Leke, from childhood until adulthood. He was born of a Nigerian father and a South African coloured woman. He was adopted by a white couple, his mom could not take care of him and his father was in jail. Leke grows up as a recluse and misfit forever grappling with solitude and struggling to belong. Fighting a generational curse cast on his dad's family.

I found the book boring and flat in tone. Many a times I contemplated dumping it. It was the masochist in me that
Kathe Coleman
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bom Boy by Yewande Omotoso
Another great read by a South African writer. Leke’s father, Oscar, a man from Nigeria arrives in South Africa to study molecular science. Meets African girl, Elaine, who bears him a son (Leke) but unfortunately he (Oscar) is arrested and sent to jail and never gets to raise his son. He writes letters to Leke, (Bom Boy is pidgin for baby boy) and it is through these letters that Leke discovers the curse that has been placed on his family. Oscar in jail and Elaine finds
Sipho Lukhele
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved how this book was written. A story of a family curse that is told through a series of letters. It was not hurried and the writing is simply beautiful. I was exposed to other parts of Cape Town, that I could see through the words.

The chapters move from the present and past while linking the story beautifully. If you are curious about the spiritual world and believe in the notion of "black magic", then you are going to love this book.
Tiah
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Plan to highlight on blog. Will post the link to the post sometime next week. Edited: Here is the link: http://tiahbeautement.typepad.com/tra...
Gabrielle
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I have had this book on my list for a while and was eager to read it especially after the less than stellar review I wrote of Omotoso's other book. The novel centers on Leke - a confused and awkward young man. The story is told through Leke's present day actions like hypochondria, thievery, and stalking and meshed with letters his father (whom he has never met) wrote to him as a baby. The novel was captivating from the beginning - I love books told through multiple perspectives with epistolary e ...more
Fen Kuntz
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I wish the entirety of this was like the first fifty pages. Really sags in the middle. At times I worried I missed key plot points, but it was just the structure of the book to reveal those near the end.
Helga Schaberg
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It all came together in the end, but until then I was quite confused. The plot emulated Leke's confusion, but it requires some staying power on the part of the reader.
Temilade Adebiyi
Sep 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This has to be the most pointless book I have read in recent history. I think the author must be some kind of marketing genius because the only reason I finished this book was because there was always the promise of something MAJOR about to be revealed.
I kept turning the pages, waiting to get to the "climax" and it is not even a little climatic. I mean, the entire book could easily have been a short story and it would have been better that way. Instead of the reader getting dragged along in what
Jayne Bauling
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Leke, his biolological and adoptive parents: every one of these characters engages the emotions, as do Tsotso and her grandmother. On a superficial level, this poignant debut novel is about profound loneliness. Leke harmlessly stalks strangers, steals small souvenirs and consults an assortment of medical practitioners in search of simple human contact.

At another level it is much deeper and more complex. Quiet little lives are not the less for being small and mostly silent.

Yewande Omotoso's nove
Agbonmire
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lovely book, everybody should read it at least once. A far reaching debut. Leke is a troubled young man who stalks people, who steals small items. This are just symptoms of the yawning loneliness and abandonment he feels. This book is a book of silence, a book of how people deal with solitude. But that's not all, you read about ancestral curses, how myth can become real.

After walking in Leke's mind you can't help but empathize with the cards life has dealt Leke. You would also enjoy the poignan
Charles Siboto
Once in a while a book comes along and reminds you why you love books in the first place. Yewande Omotoso's story about Leke and the family curse that haunts him is beautifully told and it will haunt you after you have read it.
Sam Beckbessinger
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really quite lovely.
Suzanne Ondrus
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There were truly some surprises here! I truly like it when unexpected things happen in a plot. There were three generations that were narrated about. I enjoyed Leke's search for healing.
Rita O.
Uniquely enchanting.
Dami Ajayi
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
a really decent debut
Bernadette Jansen op de Haar
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’ve just finished Bom Boy by Yewande Omotoso. It’s a very thought-provoking book and it really makes you think about identity, adoption and what and why passes for normal human behaviour.
Abby O'Leary
Aug 08, 2018
Fredpresso
Feb 09, 2018
Eva
rated it did not like it
May 30, 2015
  • The Beggars' Strike
  • Daughters Who Walk This Path
  • Africa39: New Writing from Africa South of the Sahara
  • Dolly City
YEWANDE OMOTOSO was born in Barbados and grew up in Nigeria, moving to South Africa with her family in 1992. She is the author of Bom Boy, published in South Africa in 2011. In 2012 she was on the South African Literary Award for First-Time Published Author and was shortlisted for the South African Sunday Times Fiction Prize. In 2013 she was a finalist in the the inaugural, pan-African Etisalat Fi ...more