Start by marking “The Truth About Stone Hollow” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Stone Hollow

The Truth About Stone Hollow

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Amy's new town holds a secret far more wondrous than she could ever imagine
Taylor Springs is the place where Amy's family grew up, and it felt like her hometown even before she moved there. But there is one place that her family left out of their stories: the supposedly haunted Stone Hollow, a hidden valley with an old, deserted cottage. And though Amy is curious, she can'
Hardcover
Published January 1st 1974 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Stone Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Stone Hollow

Rebecca McNutt
This book tells a very imaginative small town kind of supernatural/fantasy story, and it's written in a style that's both classic and timeless at the same time.
Suzanne Costner
Nov 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: super-cool kids and the parents that love them
Anyt book by Zilpha Keatley Snyder is prefect to read on Halloween. I read this book with a sick dread of disappointment. So often the things one loved in childhood have a way of being somehow less than you remember. (Lemonheads, anyone?) I loved "The Egypt Game" when I was about 10 and I still vividly remember the chilling thrills of "The Headless Cupid". How would this book impact my technicolor memories of those other tales?

In short I loved it. Not a challenging read by any means, I finished
H.L. Stephens
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those delightfully written books with language that transports you into the mind and heart of the main character. An utterly charming book that kept me coming back page after page. Though it is true it was written for what we now call a middle grade audience, this book performs that magic of taking you back to the spirit of childhood. I would highly recommend this book for any age.
Sarah Sammis
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
I remember liking it. I remember being reminded of ghost stories and other tales I heard when growing up in San Diego. But the specifics have escaped me. I want to re-read it.
Holly
I read a number of Zilpha Keatley Snyder books when I was a child, and I don't remember particularly liking any of them. After seeing this book on Goodreads, I wanted to try it as the title sounded interesting. Funnily enough, The Ghosts of Stone Hollow isn't even the original title - the original was The Truth about Stone Hollow. The newer title is more interesting, but not quite accurate, I'm afraid.

The Ghosts of Stone Hollow takes place in 1938 in Taylor Springs, a (fictional) little town nes
Juli
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy's family relocates to Taylor Springs after her father's injury at work leaves him unable to work. Her mother grew up in Taylor Springs and they move in with her aunt, so Amy feels at home there, even though she has never been there before. Taylor Springs has a secret. Something happened at the old cabin at Stone Hollow. Nobody will talk about it, except to say that the old cabin is haunted and bad things happened there.

When Amy meets another new student at school, Jason, they begin talking a
Alissa
Apr 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, scary
Amy has been taught to see the world in black and white, truth and lies, good and bad, right and wrong, and to never question her elders. That is, until she befriends Jason, the odd new boy in her class at school. Thanks to Jason, Amy begins to see the various shades of gray through which the world can be viewed and to question the things she previously took for granted as being definites. She learns that, sometimes, one can never really know the absolute truth.

Of course there's a dark family s
Susann
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read
A ZKS I hadn't read since childhood. Not one of my favorites, but still a good read. ZKS had lots of story lines going at once, and I would have preferred more emphasis on the story behind Amy's family. I liked the complex portrayals of Amy's parents and Aunt and that each one of them uses conflicting methods to support Amy.

Bought at The Book Trader in Philadelphia.
Summer
This isn't one of Zilpha Keatley Snyder's best (The Egypt Game and The Headless Cupid hold that distinction), but it's still entertaining. I never noticed the sort of subversive conversation about religion, ethnicity, and labor when I was younger, but at the same time, I wasn't as disappointed with the ending then. So it goes.
Cara
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found myself really engrossed in this book, but the ending left me with several questions. I understood what I think the author was getting at, but I'd still like some clear-cut answers regarding things from the characters' pasts just for closure.
Joanna Warrens
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, october-2014
I love this author and the Ghosts of Stone Hollow was no exception. Snyder allows some ambiguity and doesn't wrap up all the details. This allows the reader to think about the possibilities. It has a similar setting and time to "The Velvet Room" but is more magical.
Alyss
Apr 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book still creeps me out, and I haven't read it since puberty. Incidentally, it's how I learned about lockjaw.
Desiivy
I want to read this book so bad, I read the first one “Truth About Stone Hollow” many years ago. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the book for under $90.
Robin Snow
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story from Zilpha Keating Snyder

She never disappoints! I loved her books as a child and I love them as an adult. Now I can pass them on to my kids.
Thea
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really freaked me out when I was a kid!
Kate
I just found an old book report I did on this from 8th grade, in which I wrote the main character's journal. Book reports were so much fun in those days...
Shannon
  • Transcendent: Tales of the Paranormal
  • Ghosts: A Treasury of Chilling Tales Old & New
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • Being Dead
  • Witch's Sister (Witch Saga, #1)
  • Winter Kill
  • The Blue Hawk
  • Kid Power
  • Pilgrim of the Sky
  • The Giant Under the Snow
  • Harding's Luck (Fabian Time Fantasies, #2)
  • Zeely
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game," "The Headless Cupid," and "The Witches of Worm," Zilpha Keatley Snyder began writing books for children in 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies," was published. Over the course of the career she completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for y ...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder...