Start by marking “The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)

The Wild One

(Phantom Stallion #1)

When 13-year-old Samantha returns home to her family′s cattle ranch in Nevada, she′s worried. She moved away two years ago to recover from a bad fall off her beloved mustang, Blackie, and she′s still not sure she can get back in the saddle. Her new colt doesn′t seem to like her, and the other ranchers treat her like the boss′s spoiled daughter, and Blackie has been missing ...more
Published July 23rd 2002 by Avon Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Wild One, please sign up.
Kelly Lawshe I wish I knew I really want too read this book

Start your review of The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)
Rachel
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh gosh, I would have ADORED this book as a youngster. Even as a mostly-adult, it was still pretty entertaining. I have to admit, I have a preference for English riding over Western and wild mustangs and the whole shebang, but really, anything horse-related will catch my interest by default.

My only real complaint--that may or may not be a compliment--was that I felt like I was being dropped in the middle of a series, not picking up the first one. The world and the characters had all this develop
Brit
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's all about a wild horse that no one ever sees excpet this one little girl. Therefore; she calls it the Phantom. However, it's secret name is Zanzibar. I love that name!
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. ESPECIALLY the connection between Sam and her previous colt blackie who grows up and changes colour to gray and almost silverish. 2 years ago, Sam had gotten her very own horse, Blackie. He was a wild mustang but with very good nature. She had just tamed and haltered him when she decided to ride him out of ranch with her friend and trainer Jake. The horse somehow spooks, bucks her off, and his hind hoof hits her in the head. She gets sent to San-Fransisco to her aunt until she ...more
Erin
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These were my absolute favorite books as a kid and rereading did not disappoint. :)
Denise
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awwww, this book was what first got me interested in reading. Before this book I used to think reading was lame. But, I have always loved horses so when i was in 5th grade and I saw the horse on the cover I was interested. It was AWESOME! So are the other 23 books in the series, I highly recommend to anyone. Especially if you're a mom and your little girl is having a hard time getting into reading. It's great.
Amber
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This series was by far my favorite as a child. Terri Farley has a gift for writing these wild horse stories. As a child her attention to detail was more than satisfying and took my mind to that place where Sam rode her horse across the Nevada desert. I also loved the real-life situations Sam was put in, they definitely helped me deal with my own situations. If you love horses, I would definitely recommend this series to you.
Julian Daventry
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
These were some of my favorite books growing up. I even gave all my horses secret names and everything. But seriously, Jake Ely was probably my first fictional crush, lol. Ace is a lot like my first horse, and I loved that.

I’ve never been a fan of how Sam does things behind the backs of her family and friends, and there are a few uses of some d-Words and the Lord’s name (in a not so reverent way). But otherwise these are clean and enjoyable and even quite funny at times.
Nicole M
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Wild One (Phantom Stallion #1)
By Terri Farley
After recovering from a severe head injury and loosing her best friend/ companion, Blackie who she also called Zanzibar, thirteen year old Samantha Forster finally returns back to the farm. Two years ago, Sam was in a fatal riding accident when her horse, Blackie, took off; “she went one way, he went the other, and his off hind hoof caught you[her] in the head” (139). Finally back on River Bend Ranch, Sam jumps right back into riding on her new m
Julia
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I love horses, and this book is about a girl who lives on a ranch in Northern Nevada, where she gets into all kinds of trouble, which usually involves the wild mustangs that live there. Sam is funny, smart, and absolutely horse crazy, and I really enjoy reading about her. In this book, Samantha Forster comes back to Nevada after recovering in San Francisco from a riding injury. Sam learns that the horse she had been riding, her two year old mustang colt, escaped into th ...more
Georgina Howlett
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
After having this series recommended to me by my friend Ashley, I ordered the first book from Amazon with the hope that although the books were apparently intended for younger audiences, I would enjoy them as much as I did with the My Secret Unicorn series. Needless to say I think I may even enjoy this series even more eventually.

The characters and the plot of this first instalment in the series is are simply wonderful. I found myself becoming so emotionally attached to Sam, Jake and the rest; I
Clare O'Beara
This is a very worthwhile read about a girl called Sam who has been raised on a ranch but living away from it for two years. Now she is returning and wonders what life will be like. She had been training a dark grey colt but he got spooked and threw her and ran away, and her family doesn't know where he is.

Sam finds a pale grey stallion coming to drink by moonlight near the ranch house, and realises that as grey horses get lighter each year, this could be her colt. But he is wild and running wit
Addie
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This entire series is fantastic! Terri Farley has created a clean educational setting for a fun adventure filled story! Just the first book had me hooked! I even still enjoy reading them, though I'm not a kid any more.
Sam has returned home after an accident that happened over a year ago involving her horse Blackie. When she returns there is a new leader of the herd of mustangs near her home called the Phantom, because of his ghost white appearance and how he and his herd can vanish so quickly.
Madeline
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I know im a "little" old for the Phantom Stallion but to tell you the truth i really enjoy these books. First of all they pass the time well. Secondly, i like horses... a lot. And also they're good books to read inbetween reading all the long, somtimes confusing, books.
I do recomend these books for any age! Esspecialy younger kids. I think they would be great books for their first chapter book, not too hard but still challenging to the young ones.
Maris
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-reading, fave
This is the only fiction horse series I like. The main character, Sam, is a (bad) western rider, loves horses and not her own popularity, doesn't care about shows, isn't flawless with the horses, and doesn't deal with drama people. All things that make this book very different from most horse books. (Most horse books are really bad, in my opinion. This is a nice diversion from that!)
Allie
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Finally finished it!!!! It was so good! I can't wait to get the next one!!!
Abby Evangelisto
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse-fiction
This review will encompass the entirety of the Phantom Stallion series.

Phantom Stallion is one of the great overlooked horsey series. Following the Wild West adventures of Sam Forster and her modern-day ranch family, the series is the perfect mix of equine adventure and classic coming-of-age tales. The background of the Nevada high desert is beautifully described and you can almost smell the sagebrush.

None of the characters fall flat, which is a rarity in long episodic YA series. Each characte
Jaclyn B.
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was so happy to find these books again! Even my city library no longer has copies, but they were a huge point in my youth. Even better, 15 years later they hold up! So many times I'm disappointed when I pick up books I once loved to see they hold only nostalgia and cringe-worthy simplicity.

While the books are written for a younger audience, Farley does an excellent job of not talking down or over-simplifying things to the reader. There's communication between Sam and her father, and realistic
Maya
May 10, 2017 added it
Katie Taylor
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you have a kid who loves horses, this is a fantastic series. I first picked this book up when there were only four books in the series and I had managed to collect all of them up until I grew out of the horse phase. At that point, I passed them all on to a younger kid at my church at the time who was just getting into her horse phase. These books bring a sense of mystery and a bit of adventure that can really keep a young reader engaged over the long haul.
Catherine Cherney
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! I have read them all already, but I am starting to read them all again. I would totally recommend these books to anyone who loves horses or at least likes reading books about horses.
Bailey
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
I've read a lot of pre-teen horse books and this was by far the worst.
Emily Guyer
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very good book. There was a girl that could over come anything that was in her life and that was all because of a horse.
Anna Dursky
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I could not put it down! It has the perfect amount of action!
Katherine
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and the connection between Sam and Blackie/Phantom/Zanzibar ! I will continue reading this series!
Lynne Page
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good strong first novel in a large preteen series about a girl and horses. I only wish I had known about this series while I was growing up.

I look foward to reading more!
Alexis
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved these books in my preteen years! I was so sad when I wasn't able to find them at my bookstore anymore. As an animal lover, I really connected with the story growing up.
Shelby Lynne
Turns out all you need to finally read the first book in your favorite childhood series is an awesome library system that has Connections™ // 3.5 stars
C. J. Borntrager
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Phantom Stallion

Just as good the second time. I loved this book as a child and still love it today. Can’t wait to finish the series this time around
Enter
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse-fiction
This review will encompass the entirety of the Phantom Stallion series.

Gracie Skultety
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because I love horses and the stories of girls and her horses. I liked all of the detail in this book because it tells you a lot of background information on the horses and the characters. I like this book because it was kinda an easy read and fun to read. I also didn't like this book because it was a little too easy and kind of a childish book. I like this book because it had some emotion in it to add some tension between the characters. Even tho this was kinda an easy ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Coming Home (Heartland, #1)
  • A Horse Called Wonder (Thoroughbred, #1)
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • Shadow Horse
  • King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
  • The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, the Horse That Inspired a Nation
  • Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)
  • Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West
  • After the Storm (Heartland, #2)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1)
  • National Velvet
  • Horse Crazy (Saddle Club, #1)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • Breaking Free (Heartland, #3)
  • The Young Black Stallion (Black Stallion)
Terri Farley is the author of Seven Tears into the Sea, the Phantom Stallion series for young readers and the forthcoming Wild at Heart: Mustangs and the Young People Fighting to Save Them (Fall 2015).

Terri lives in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains with her journalist husband and pets, but still longs for the California beaches where she grew up. She's worked as a waitress, journalist

Phantom Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Mustang Moon (Phantom Stallion, #2)
  • Dark Sunshine (Phantom Stallion, #3)
  • The Renegade (Phantom Stallion, #4)
  • Free Again (Phantom Stallion, #5)
  • The Challenger (Phantom Stallion, #6)
  • Desert Dancer (Phantom Stallion, #7)
  • Golden Ghost (Phantom Stallion, #8)
  • Gift Horse (Phantom Stallion, #9)
  • Red Feather Filly (Phantom Stallion, #10)
  • Untamed (Phantom Stallion, #11)

News & Interviews