Start by marking “Nadchodząca Burza” as Want to Read:
Nadchodząca Burza

Nadchodząca Burza (Star Wars Legends)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  3,958 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Strategiczna planeta Ansion jest opanowana przez separatystów. Jeśli dokonają secesji, Republika pogrąży się w chaosie. Rada Jedi wysyła na Ansion dwoje rycerzy i ich dwoje uczniów. Żeby uratować Republikę, Obi-Wan Kenobi i Anakin Skywalker muszą wypełnić niewykonalne zadanie...
Published 2002 by AMBER

To ask other readers questions about Nadchodząca Burza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nadchodząca Burza

Crystal Starr Light
Ansion is considering seceding from the Republic. Because of its many important alliances, the Republic fears a mass exodus. The Jedi react by sending Obi-Wan and Anakin to join Luminara Unduli and Barris Offee on the planet Ansion and negotiate with the Anwali.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

When I first read this book, eons ago now, I had a hard time getting into it. I was reading, wondering when the story "started". It took me a bit to realize that the journey to the Borokii, the travails
Lindsay♫Sings
So there are some books where you sit and wait and wait and wait for something to happen. No, this book was the opposite. This book was one where something happens every five pages and its just too much. There is always a battle or an argument or a dispute or something or other going on....and not in a good way.
Mike
Jun 25, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Appropriate that the book that 'sets up' the worst Star Wars movie of the 2 trilogies is the worst Star Wars book that I have read. It is not entirely fair to say this book is bad, as the author is clearly a good writer, (he uses words like 'festooned'), but this book falls down in many areas.

Namely, despite the claim of setting up Episode II, it doesn't. Unless of course you were wondering about the backstory to when Mace Windu says "Obi-Wan could do that, he just got back from a border dispu
Robert
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of "Aggressive Negotiations".
Shelves: guerre-stellari
This book was worth reading, in the end, for the imaginative biology of the creatures and denizens of Ansion and some of Foster's clever writing. One could tell, however, that he had his hands tied to a certain degree not to make too many waves or reveal too much information that could have had an impact on the plot of the "Attack of the Clones" or "Revenge of the Sith" films.

I liked the characters of Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee, but in the end I felt they were underutilized to give Obi-Wa
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
While it seems that this book is the red-headed stepchild of the Star Wars Expanded Universe I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable read. I will tell you upfront, the action is small scale. There are no massive space battles, no hair-raising lightsaber duels, no save-the-galaxy plot. If those are things you simply must have from a Star Wars book you will probably not like The Approaching Storm very much.

It’s true, The Approaching Storm is low on the galactic level action; however, the st
pamsreading
Follow these two Jedi Masters and their Padawans to the planet of Ansion on border dispute mission prior to Battle of Geonosis and The Clone Wars...

Look at mom and Baeris Barris

Then there is this ball of fluff asshole...

“I never saw the happy ending coming and didn’t expect it. Do all your stories have happy endings?”

Thoughts Vomit
1. Barris notices Luminara and Anakin are hot damn, literally, on the other hand who is Oliver Kenoli?
2. Meanwhile Ansionian people think human & near-human
Ernest
Nov 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Initially inoffensive while reading it, upon reflection, this book was frustrating in how thin the story was and how even some interesting ideas did not work in either the telling or the operation.

It must be difficult to write a story in a universe where much, if not all, of where the characters and larger narration comes from and is going to end up is set, but it is a telling point that had I not read this book, I would have not missed out on anything of substance from the Star Wars universe.

T
Ellis
Oct 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have been on a quest to read every book in the EU for quite a while now, I finally stumbled upon the one book which I could not force myself to finish. first the author should have done some damn background research on the force. I was constantly raging at the way the force was used, I feel like there was never a time in this entire book were the force was accurately portrayed. the story was dull boring and was pretty much a straight line, no conflict no anything, just you praying that this bo ...more
Joseph
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I didn't know until afterwards that this is the same guy who wrote Star Wars Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I bought the book used for $3.75 and I probably should have saved the money. From the book cover it looks like it is after the Clone Wars, but I don't believe it if it is. They make Anakin out to be a baby of sorts and one that really doesn't have the power of the force just yet. It seemed like he was really only 13, maybe 14 and not what he looks like on the cover. Of course he touches on th ...more
Don J.
Oct 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nine times out of ten, when a novel or video game possesses "Star Wars" in the title, there is already a leg-up in me liking it. But just like the prequel movies, "The Approaching Storm" reminds me that franchise does not automatically equal quality. The novel focuses on Anakin and his master, Obi-Wan, as they travel to the plant Ansion to keep the planet from separating from the Republic. The novel acts as a precursor to the second prequel "Attack of the Clones" and yet, despite be given two ic ...more
David Mcdowell
Hehe, why do I read this crap. This is not the most inspiring Star Wars tale set as it is between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Too much galactic politics which, like A Skywalker, I find fairly tedious! Talking of whom, I can't read about Anakin without the mugging face of Hayden Christensen appearing. Very distracting.

Everything is just clunky and heavy-handed with Anakin making mistakes every 5 minutes, and getting a dirty look from Obi-Wan and ticked off by fellow Padawan Bariss. O
Brendan
Jun 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't really focus on this book. It seemed dry and complicated. Generally, if some story between two periods of time isn't told there's a reason for it. This novel is a perfect example. Much of the situations the characters were put in seemed forced in order to show other sides of the Jedi and to give Anakin's character things to think about. Or to give Bariss things to think about. Or to give Obi-Wan things to think about. It seemed like all the characters were just constantly making the o ...more
Lacey Kuriger
Technically, it's pretty well done. He's not a bad writer. I was a bit put off by the author's seeming dislike for Obi-Wan, though. Reading it, I felt like he put Obi-Wan in just because he felt he had to and not because he had any personal interest in the character. Same with Anakin though he does seem to favor him to Obi-Wan. If you're looking for a decent read about Luminara and Barriss, however, this is your book. Or at least it's a book.
Amber Pederson
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of Star Wars
I'm a recent Star Wars fan and had no idea what book to start with. I picked this one. The plot it magnificent. The action is continuous. There's even some humor in it, but you'd have to be a Master of the Force to understand it. ;) And for those who are looking for deeper insight to the way Anakin works, this is a beautiful place to look.
Carlos Chavez
Pointless to read. Had nothing to do with Star Wars other than that it uses the characters.
Mark Oppenlander
Alan Dean Foster steps back in to the Star Wars universe after a long hiatus and produces a novel that has as much in common with Star Trek as it does with Star Wars. Set shortly before the events of Attack of the Clones, Foster's story takes Obi-Wan Kenobi and his padawan Anakin Skywalker to the obscure planet Ansion which is considering secession from the Republic. Ansion does not have much significance on its own, but due to a complicated series of alliances and treaties, the Supreme Chancell ...more
Ursula Johnson
A Prolonged Planetary Mission for the Jedi

Alan Dean Foster has written a number of novels and adaptations of films for novels. This book is an original story in the prequel era regarding a mission by two Jedi Knights and their padawans to ensure that a world with important contacts remains in the republic. Political intrigue and sabotage ensue. While the concept is interesting, this book is bogged down by several factors. On the first, I'm not certain if this is an editing issues or an author is
Jeremiah Johnson
Jun 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very hard book to get through.
The story was uninteresting. The Jedi are supposed to go meet some people to broker a truce. But the story isn't about that, it's about all the completely absurd mishaps that they encounter on the way. One near death experience with an alien animal to another, and another, and another...
The point of view character would randomly change from one paragraph to the next. This made following who was thinking what even more difficult.
And to top it off, apparent
JP
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast, and forgettable.

Hints of Anakin's dark-side brewing, and some interesting set-pieces, overall I had to look up what this book was about as I don't remember much about it other than Anakin getting darker as he becomes more battle worn.

Like much of the prequel movies - it was their novelizations and the in-between novels which really helped make the prequel trilogy seem much better than it was/is.

If you are a hardcore Star Wars fan, this book is for you, just to see the changes in An
Helena R-D
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't familiar with many of these characters, but I really enjoyed reading about Luminara and Bariss. I also loved how Anakin and Obi Wan's relationship was more fully fleshed out as they went through a seemingly impossible mission, but made it turn out, even if they didn't expect it to be like the way that they had originally planned.
I was hooked on it from the start. Would definitely recommend.
Astrid
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Okay but can we talk about how unappreciated this book is? Luminara (AKA mom) is such a badass, Barriss is a total sweetheart, and Obi-Wan and Anakin are just as funny as ever. I think it's about time these two minor characters get some page time because let's face it they're extremely looked over in the Star Wars universe.
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #98

Background: The Approaching Storm was written by Alan Dean Foster and published in January 2002. Foster has a long history with Star Wars. He ghost wrote the novelization of the original film for George Lucas, and he wrote the first ever EU novel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, as a sequel to it. He also wrote the novelization of The Force Awakens, but this novel was his first return to the Star Wars universe in almost a quarter century.

The Approaching Storm is set 22
Aldera
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-star-wars
Pretty fun romp through a new SW world. The worldbuilding was inventive and sufficiently alien. I don't like how they retconned Barriss but that's not something I can help. Other than that, I enjoyed the read quite a bit.
Cindy Scott turner
I really could not get into this book so half way through I gave up.
Henry Ca
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All that Allan Dean Foster writes is good. Good story & plot about an adventure.
Michael Rudzki
Alan Dean Foster is the father of Star Wars novels, having penned the very first ever book (Star Wars, ghostwritten under George Lucas' name and *far* more than a mere novelization. I read that book so many times in the years between Star Wars and Empire that I could almost recite it.) and the very first novel of the Expanded Universe (Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the only book -- the only *anything* -- we SW-starved fans had to quench our thirst for years after Star Wars left theaters), so I had ...more
Thomas
I was as eager to read The Approaching Storm as I was to read Rogue Planet, because Alan Dean Foster is an established author. I know he wrote the novelizations for Star Wars and The Force Awakens, but in those cases, he was writing based on someone else's story. Here, he was creating his own story from scratch, and I wanted to see what he could do with the material.

The story here is about Ansion, a small planet in the Republic that is threatening to withdraw. Small as it is, the planet is a lin
Eric Sullenberger
SLOW, oh my god this book was so slow!
This first novel (in-Universe chronology) establishes a pattern that existed if not through the Clone Wars era novels, then at least through the ones that were written before the Clone Wars movie and TV series came out (real-world chronology). That pattern is to take a Jedi we are familiar with from the movies and pair him with another one that we wanted to know about and focus on both together. I'm reminded of a common criticism of The X-Files and Supernatu
Gema
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que lo he disfrutado mucho prácticamente en su totalidad porque es Star Wars y eso es garantía de entretenimiento para mí, pero ha habido algunas cosillas que no me permiten darle la puntuación que creía que acabaría dándole...
Voy a comentar los puntos a favor y los puntos en contra:

A favor:
-Los personajes (exceptuando a Obi-Wan que estaba retratado de una forma un poco extraña y lejana y resaltando a Anakin que omg nunca decepciona a pesar de que es un personaje muy difícil de trat
Jaime Krause
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(4.5 stars)

This is the "border dispute on Ansion" mentioned in AOTC. Ansion is a small world, wavering on staying in the Republic. With a bit of influence from the Commerce Guild, its citizens rise up in indecision. Obi-Wan and Anakin team up with Luminara and Barriss to prevent Ansion's secession from the Republic. When I reread this in 2014, I felt "It is a good book, but I feel like Alan Dean Foster forces Anakin to be arrogant. Only at the end is Anakin more of his apologetic self." In 2015
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster 1 4 May 25, 2012 07:30PM
  • The Cestus Deception
  • Battle Surgeons (Medstar, #1)
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • Rogue Planet (Star Wars)
  • Jedi Trial
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • The Unseen Queen (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #2)
  • Wild Space (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #2)
  • The Ruins of Dantooine (Star Wars: Galaxies)
  • Shatterpoint
  • Refugee (Force Heretic, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16)
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Star Wars Legends (1 - 10 of 346 books)
  • Dawn of the Jedi:  Into the Void
  • Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1)
  • Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)
  • Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3)
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #5)
  • Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Red Harvest