Start by marking “And Condors Danced” as Want to Read:
And Condors Danced

And Condors Danced

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The year Carly turns eleven, 1907, is filled with playing detective, watching condors, observing a fierce feud involving her family's Southern California ranch, and coping with unexpected tragedies.
Published August 25th 1989 by Pan Macmillan (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about And Condors Danced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Condors Danced

Cheryl
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could have been just another historical fiction, but Snyder challenged the reader to think more deeply about things and people. Is Father a bully with unrealistic expectations, a thwarted scholar, a principled man of strong beliefs, something else, all of the above? If Mother had not succumbed to depression, would she have become healthier? Will Lila and/or Nellie ever be able to leave home and have their own families? Is the ending a happy one? Etc.

I certainly don't know, and as a more naive ch
Gale
DANCING WITH CONDORS GIVES HER A ZEST FOR LIFE!

Set in California's agricultural Ventura Valley in 1910, this story is difficult to classify. The young heroine reveals a wacky imagination, spunky attitude and distinctly tomboyish taste. These characteristics provide amusing moments for the reader, but this story discusses many serious themes and topics as well: rabies, prolonged grieving, social cruelty, drought-induced poverty and unrealistic expectation to fit into the pre-ordained family mol
Kate
I really like Snyder's historical fiction--this took place during a period of time I didn't know much about, and the story is much more fleshed out than her more recent historical fiction.
Myles
I've criticized Snyder before for her sometime lackluster forays into historical fiction, and some of that applies here. But, this book has a solid core to it.

As unconvincing as the family dynamic was at times and how some plot-lines (like the romance of Carly's dreamer older sister) seemed to have just been thrown in for color, by near the end of the book Snyder has somehow created the foundation for the most lonely child imaginable,all the while surrounded by family and friends. It's almost h
Julie
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Read this when I was younger and I still own my copy. I always liked it enough to keep it and think fondly of it however I never did go back and reread it nor did I look up the author for more until just by chance this last month noticing a book in the library by this same author (I guess I hadn't even realized she had written anything else but I sure recognized her name!) As a consequence I will be reading The Egypt Game soon.
Shelly
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preteen s
This book (and for that matter, this author) was my absolute favorite when I was around 11 or 12. So if you are looking for books for your 11, 12, 13 year old to read, totally get her started on this author. A lot of her books aren't really available to buy anymore, so you'll have to check the library.
Stephanie A.
While the characters didn't stand out a great deal to me, the time period was a rarer one, and between that and the physical setting (and, of course, a highly memorable title), that's what kept this book at the forefront of my memory.
Susan
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story about growing up and family in the early 1900's.
Maria
Just can't get into it this time around. Maybe too real, not enough adventure.
Chrystal
Oct 20, 2012
Eve Ley
Feb 03, 2018
Hannah
rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2011
Dec 29, 2015
Emily
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game," "The Headless Cupid," and "The Witches of Worm," Zilpha Keatley Snyder began writing books for children in 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies," was published. Over the course of the career she completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for y ...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder