Start by marking “Season of Ponies” as Want to Read:
Season of Ponies

Season of Ponies

Left with her two aunts at Oaks Farm to spend the entire summer, Pamela is greatly disappointed and wonders how she will survive. But one day, she sees a boy accompanied by a herd of beautiful ponies. Are they a dream, or is her summer about to become an adventure? The author is a three-time Newbery Honor Book winner.
Published May 1st 1988 by Dell Yearling (first published June 28th 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Season of Ponies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of Ponies

Hilary
This was a wonderful read, it could have been longer but we loved it. I would have loved to read this as a Child, the motherless girl with a love for horses, longing for friendship would have really appealed to me. Pamela lives with her Aunts, her mother died and her father works away. When she is given a necklace from her Grandmother she feels something is going to happen that summer. She meets Ponyboy and his coloured friendly ponies, they become friends and have adventures until their their l ...more
Abigail
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Horse Lovers / Middle Grade Readers Who Enjoy Gentle Fantasies
Pamela, the young protagonist of this first Zilpha Keatley Snyder book, is bitterly disappointed when her traveling salesman father deposits her in the care of her aunts at Oak Farm. Her expectations of a dull summer are happily unfulfilled however, when the magic amulet that once belonged to her maternal grandmother summons Ponyboy, a wild, fairy-like boy, and his herd of pastel ponies.

This charming debut novel marked the beginning of a long and successful career for Snyder, who has been a runn
Amy
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read this book as a kid/teen and remember the beautiful imagery of the ponies and also the just-creepy-enough subplot of fear and darkness. A good book to read during the day, or when you know your parents are in the house with you!
Laura Wright
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-audience
I found this book when I was small and honestly don't know how many times I read it. The book progresses nicely and is perfect for anyone seeking a little escapism.
L. Chambers-Wright
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book during my childhood. It was my fondest escape to go away with the mysterious horses.
Ona
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was my favorite booke when I was 9. I am almost afraid to re-read it.
Joni
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book as a child. I recently bought it for my daughter who is not big on reading and she loved it!
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Season of Ponies isn't so much interesting as a book on its own as it is an indicator of Snyder's later work. So many of her persistent themes are already apparent: a young protagonist, trapped in a lonely old house with a curt authority figure and distant or absent parents; a direct use of imagination and imaginative play to help the protagonist grow; the mysterious play-partner; and, finally, a question of "What is real?" There are direct correlations to be made with The Egypt Game (one chapte ...more
Kate
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pamela lives a rather dreary life at Oak Tree Farm - there aren't any horses, and she's homeschooled, and her father has just gone back on his promise to take her with him, leaving her with her two stiff aunts for the whole summer. Her father does give her a medallion, and then that Pamela sees the ponies. Led by a free-spirited boy she calls Ponyboy, Pamela embarks on a fairy tale summer complete with stories and circus games and even a swamp witch.

I first discovered Zilpha Keatley Snyder in t
Sheila Beaumont
This was a reread of an old favorite, a delightful, enchanting, magical story.
Kirsten
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
So I recently decided - as one does? - that I want to read all of Zilpha Keatley Snyder's books, in order, so I am starting at the beginning here.... This book is entirely driven by magical ponies. There's no other reason to read it. *grin* There's some minorly sexist dialogue, but mostly those parts just made me roll my eyes.
Vena Boñgolan
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read it in grade school ... don't know why I had to read it again.
Rachel Brown
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Pamela, a lonely little girl, lives in an isolated house with her two aunts (one nice, one distant and strict). Her absentee father visits occasionally, and her mom is dead. But her life gets a lot more fun when she gets a magic amulet that enables her to meet a mysterious boy her own age and his herd of pastel ponies.

Obviously, the best part of this book is the pastel ponies. Who wouldn't want a herd of pink, blue, sunset, and sunrise-colored ponies named after clouds? I wish I'd read this boo
Trice
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book at some point in my early teen years, read and loved it, and then it disappeared. And I never could seem to find it again, or find it listed anywhere - which seemed to go with the storyline very well. Now I have finally rediscovered it and am wondering if I want to reread or if that would spoil this spell of mystery that hangs over its memory. :)
Holly
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favorite book in third grade — I went to my elementary school library a few years ago and the tag in the book showed me checking it out about eight times in a row -- and upon rereading, I can see why. It has ponies, freedom from adults, creepiness, magic...all the right ingredients, and in just the right proportions.
Jules
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little girls who love horses, mythology
Shelves: favorites
I adored this book and read it over and over when I was 10. Then I outgrew horses as many adolescent girls do, but I was haunted by the imagery from this story. I'd confused the title by then and it took me YEARS to rediscover it. I was thrilled when I was able to buy a copy for my own library shelves.
Nancy
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Another wonderful book by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. Her fantasy is grounded in reality and feels believable. I loved these books as a child and I'm enjoying them again as an adult. This one felt like it happened in the hills here in Sonoma County. It is nice to see growth in the adults as well as the central child character.
⋟Kimari⋞
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Child me would have adored this sweet, magical book. I would have read it until the pages fell out, were taped back in, and fell out yet again.

If you liked this book, you might also enjoy:

A Dog Called Homeless
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child and every time I re-read it, I understand why.
Aimee Emge
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was 10-14 years old and then read it again when I was 30. Still loved it.
K.L.
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: vintage, kids, pony
A bit weird. Don't really enjoy the metaphysical mystical pony stories as much as proper pony books but well written
Kristina
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites as a child.
Nora
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jf
A girl is left by her Father to live with her Aunts & it changes her life.
Lisa Lanyon-bunch
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, magical, daintily written tale about loneliness and hope. I adore this book.
Nora
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time faves!
Kendra
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Early Fantasy involving the Fae. Interesting! I wonder if theis is where I got my love of the Fae?!
Beverly
Sumiko
Jul 12, 2018
M.
Jan 04, 2012
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. lonely girl in the woods, boy on a high wire [s] 14 404 Aug 19, 2016 03:50PM

• Summer Pony
  • Gypsy from Nowhere (Gypsy, #1)
  • Zeely
  • The Silver Sun (The Book of Isle, #2)
  • Blaze and the Lost Quarry
  • Atalanta and the Arcadian Beast (Young Heroes, #3)
  • The Switchers Trilogy (Switchers, #1-3)
  • Bummer Summer
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • A Girl Called Al
  • Fire Pony
  • Night Kites
  • Fly-by-Night (Ruth Hollis, #1)
  • The Merman's Children
  • Scruffy
  • Album of Horses
  • High Sorcery
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game," "The Headless Cupid," and "The Witches of Worm," Zilpha Keatley Snyder began writing books for children in 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies," was published. Over the course of the career she completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for y ...more