Start by marking “Writer's Companion” as Want to Read:
Writer's Companion

Writer's Companion

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Why this book? It's true that writers have many resources at their disposal. The market is literally saturated with books on writing, but the information is so fragmented that writers must compile a library to cover every step of the writing process.

Until now.

The Writer's Companion houses the tools needed to hone a writer's abilities, and it's written in a style that keeps
Published September 30th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published September 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writer's Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writer's Companion

Jena
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the serious writer, teachers of language arts, anyone who wants to communicate more effectively
In movies or television, when a character experiences an epiphany, there's always a sound that accompanies his or her moment of enlightenment. It's like a choir of angels singing, thousands of ethereal voices raised in a perfect harmony of rejoicing that the long-sought answer has been revealed. I heard that sound as I read the contents of this masterwork on the art and craft of writing.

"Writer's Companion" is as comprehensive as a reference book could ever hope to be, with the unusual benefit o
Maria Zannini
I agreed to read and review Writer’s Companion only because I’ve been a fan of Carlos Cortes’ work since reading his novel, The Prisoner. I met freelance writer, Renée Miller by accident when I stumbled upon her snarky and all too perceptive blog. The collaboration works.

Writer’s Companion is more encyclopedic knowledge than a quick reference guide. Be prepared to sit back, read, and ponder your writing and how you can improve it.

Every section is chocked full of so much information, I had to pu
Erma Odrach
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing

The Writer's Companion is one of the best reference books I've read on style and writing. Every aspect is covered from grammar, to syntax, to editing, and this is just to start. Literally, it is filled with all the rules and regulations of the written word.

If you want, for example, to learn how to correctly and effectively pull off a first person POV, where every other sentence has the potential of beginning with the "hateful little vowel 'I'", then Writer's Companion will provide you with an
Gwendolyn
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who i serious about writing
There is no start or end date for this review because this is the kind of wonderfully useful book you will return to read again and again.

It will become an old friend; it's pages becoming marred by yellow highlighter, finger prints and coffee stains, it's borders obscured by margin notes and sticky tabs that take you back to the relevant pages you referenced during a particular Work In Process; a faithful companion and history of a writers path to publication.

It is a useful tool, but it is NOT
Rita Webb
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hundreds of pages filled with information on writing, including plotting, characterization, editing, techniques, rules, grammar, word usage, and querying. Even areas about writing that I already knew became even clearer.

One of my favorite sections is the part on Telling vs. Showing. I could spot it in the writing of others, but picking it out of my own writing and eradicating it was another story. Now I know the trigger words that indicates I've slipped into telling and have a bunch of tricks to
Jenny Schwartz
Nov 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
A friendly textbook for writers. I haven't had time to read diligently from cover to cover (it's a big book), but it appears to have everything, with clear examples, too.

I was delighted to win a digital copy over on Facebook. A good writers' handbook always adds something new to the craft. What resonated with me in reading this one was the advice that a novelist has to hook a reader again and again because we never know when they've put our book down and what our competition for their attention
Wendy
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
For writers like me, this book is awesome. The next time I freeze with my fingers hovering over the keys as my brain seizes, trying to remember the difference between an em-dash, and en-dash, and a hyphen, I’ll whip out my handy-dandy EVERYTHING in one manual and get the edit done the right way. I find it easy to use and without the horrible, dry explanations that put me to sleep in so many other grammar, style books. A quirky sense of humor shines through on most every page, teaching with humor ...more
Robin
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This ain't a book - it's a tome!

An extremely useful tome. :)

Have not read this cover to cover (mainly because some topics I'm not yet ready for), but it does live up to its promise of being THE go-to reference for Writing.

(One slight point - IMHO, the examples written by co-author Renee Miller contain too much sex, and not only her examples, but other statements in here. Nothing is too racy or salacious - and I am no prude - but I honestly think this book could be improved by a "G" rating instea
T.J. Webb
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book has made me a better editor. I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the beta readers for this masterpiece. My wife is a writer and I often get called on to edit for her. Prior to reading this she had to suffer thought the frustration of trying to correct a section that I would mark as "feeling wrong". Now, I know what is wrong and can make suggestions. I recommend this book for anyone who loves to write or loves someone who does.
Denise
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great reference book that includes everything you need to check your usage of proper grammar to style. Great book to have for college students, teachers, and libraries. I have already used it to help my 9th grader in LA.
I was a lucky winner of this book in Goodreads and have had to borrow it out already.
Jamila
Jan 30, 2013 added it
i think about reading stories.i love reading books.i want to pick out books books are so amzaing it could help you learn words and stuff. that why i love readings books i help my friends books i help with a lot of people. i am just a little i am just 9 years old and iam in fourth grade i just love to read books is the best i just read any book that why i also pick ever book i want is the best thanks for writting the books you are look by.jamila
Scott Carter
Oct 10, 2011
Chloe
Oct 10, 2011
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)
  • Help! For Writers: 210 Solutions to the Problems Every Writer Faces
  • Cause of Death: A Writer's Guide to Death, Murder, and Forensic Medicine
  • 2012 Writer's Market
  • The Dramatic Writer's Companion: Tools to Develop Characters, Cause Scenes, and Build Stories
  • Relaxing the Writer: Guidebook to the Writer's High
  • Make Your Words Work
  • The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • Tell, Don't Show!
  • The Literary Ladies' Guide to the Writing Life
  • Writers Workshop of Horror
  • The Moral Premise: Harnessing Virtue & Vice for Box Office Success
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • The Word-Loss Diet
  • Screenwriting Tricks For Authors (and Screenwriters!)
I write for the same reason I breathe: to carry on living.

From time to time I post snippets about myself and my work at:

Carlos J Cortes is the author of numerous unpublished novels and one of the World’s least influential people. After the dogged efforts o
More about Carlos J. Cortes

• Lincoln's Last Trial: The Murder Case That Propelled Him to the Presidency
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Confidence Code for Girls: Taking Risks, Messing Up, and Becoming Your Amazingly Imperfect, Totally Powerful Self
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Jackie, Janet & Lee: The Secret Lives of Janet Auchincloss and Her Daughters, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwill
  • Just the Funny Parts: My 30 Years on the Hollywood Jungle Gym
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
    $8.99 $2.49
  • The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99
“I’m 100% certain of the quality of story I’m writing until I finish the outline and actually begin to write. At this point, I’m 100% certain the story sucks and I will never show it to another living soul. Until I type “THE END.” At this point, I’m 50% certain it sucks, 50% certain it’s brilliant, and 100% certain if I don’t show it to someone I will spontaneously combust.” 10 likes