Start by marking “ The Hidden Kingdom” as Want to Read:
 The Hidden Kingdom

The Hidden Kingdom

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A pampered prince who has to give up everything he has ever known. A warrior-like girl who has promised to carry out her duty at any cost. An obedient young servant with a mission to complete and an icy chill in his heart. As ancient demons rise around them and conspire to destroy their world, only these three people can defeat the evil which threatens to engulf them. But ...more
Published October 2011 by Oxford University Press (first published September 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Kingdom

Anne
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The book is really good. It's set in Japanese style fantasy world which is a nice break from standard mediaeval Europe fashion. The main character matures considerably in the story and the last battle has some surprising and very unusual twists, which I liked a lot.

My biggest problem with this book, and the reason it loses one star, is probably the one I have with many other books: lack of female characters. While the book has two very important women, overall the amount of women is much smaller
I enjoyed this story. It is a book that I would recommend for older children who are just getting started with the fantasy genre.

I thought it started quite slowly and thought it a bit odd that it seemed that there was hardly any chapters on the main character. But about 2/3 of the book it all started going.

I liked how 'beauty' ended up being a key weapon in the story, it really made the ending sweet and poetical, which I really enjoyed. I would love to know more about the goddess that appeared
Anu
Sep 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hämärät
Ööö. Sanokaas nyt joku muu tästä jotain fiksua. Japaaniin sijoittuvaa fantasiaa, joo, mutta miten tää oli musta niin sekavan, hitaan ja takkuisen oloista? Lukeminen ei edennyt ollenkaan. Vai enkö mä vaan ymmärtänyt?
Prinssi Osama heitettiin noin vain ulos palatsista pakkaseen, sille tiuskittiin ja sitä raahattiin päiväkausia puhumatta pitkin maita ja mantuja rahvaan ja raatojen seassa. Roppakaupalla kohtalokkaita katseita, synkkiä vihjailuja ennustuksista, irralliselta vaikuttavia sivuhenkilöitä
Minna
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jostain syystä tämän kirjan lukeminen kesti ja kesti. Syynä ei ollut se, että kirja olisi ollut huono, ehkä syynä oli muut tielle tulevat kirjat, jotka halusivat tulla luetuiksi ensin.
Hyvä fantasiakirja, jossa oli japanilaisia sävytteitä. Hyvän ja kauniin pelastaminen rumalta ja tuhoavalta oli kirjan teemana. Se oli myös kasvutarina hemmotellun prinssin kasvamisesta siihen rooliin, johon hänet oli tarkoitettu. Vaellustarina, jota avattiin pikku hiljaa lukijalle.
Tasneem
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: magic
This was a lovely tale of adventure, bravery and love. I enjoyed how beauty and the pursuit of beauty was shown to be a quality of value, something that could save the world from the ugliness and torture of Hades.
Shell
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Skimmed a little but good adventure story
janie love
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
goood
Ang
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-fantasy
Adventure delivered in an easy-read style for simple transport to another time, another world. Nicely paced with a great variety of characters that provide balance to each other and the story.
Little Annie2000
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Slow start but I got into it quickly after that!
Niki
Jun 10, 2014 added it
I ended up really liking it
Saoirse
rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2014
Hayley
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great adventure story, really enjoyed it
Crystal
Amy
May 09, 2016
Rebecca McAlees
Nov 04, 2017
Ian Archibald Beck (born 1947 in Brighton) is an English children's illustrator and author. In addition to his numerous children's books, he is also most famous for his cover illustration on Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album. He has sold more than a million copies of his books worldwide.
More about Ian Beck