Start by marking “Fox Tails: Four Fables from Aesop” as Want to Read:
Fox Tails: Four Fables from Aesop

Fox Tails: Four Fables from Aesop

Four classic fables are artfully woven together to make a single story in this lushly illustrated picture book. "The Fox and the Grapes," "The Fox and the Crow," "The Fox and the Goat," and "The Fox and the Stork" all come together to make an unusually eventful day for a tricky fox who is not quite as clever as he imagines.
Published February 1st 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Fox Tails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fox Tails

Elizabeth
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fable
Motif: Clever Animals/Talking Animals
Target Audience: PreK-2nd grade

Summary:
Main Characters: Fox, Crow, Goat, and Stork
Setting: Forest
Narrative: This picture book combines the four classic fables of The Fox and the Grapes, The Fox and the Crow, The Fox and the Goat, and The Fox and the Stork into one cohesive story. Fox upsets his neighbors by outsmarting them and they work together to outsmart him.

Strengths & Weaknesses:
Combining the fables into one story probably makes it more fun fo
Asho
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 2 1/2 year-old picked this out at the library while her older brother was browsing the myths and folk tales section. I almost didn't take it home with us because I figured it would be too advanced for her and wouldn't hold her attention, but I was wrong. She specifically requested "the fox book" and listened intently for the entire story (which wasn't actually as long as I feared it would be; I thought based on the cover that there would be four separate tales inside, but all four are woven i ...more
Sarah Zablotney
Title: Fox Tails: Four Fables from Aesop
Author: Amy Lowry
Genre: Fable
Theme(s): Good and Evil
Opening line/sentence: “The fox was cranky. He had slept through breakfast, and his stomach growled.”
Brief Book Summary: This story is about four fable coming together to make one story. It is a combination of “The Fox and the Grape”, “The Fox and the Crow”, “The Fox and the Goat”, and “The Fox and the Stork”. All of these animals trick the fox and he finally leaves them alone.
Professional Recommendatio
Maria Celis
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: etec545class3
Fables
Lowry, Amy. Fox Tails: Four Fables from Aesop (2012). A wily fox encounters a long but eventful day involving other animals, unattainable grapes, cheese, a well, and a difficult meal. This collection of four Aesop fables retold with a modern rendition shot as one story still conveys the explicit morals and memorable sayings of the original socially instructional tales. Author, Amy Lowry, also illustrates this story with paintings that are simply washed in mute colors with white backgrounds
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Amy Lowry weaves together 4 classic fables from Aesop into an effective narrative. The moral of each fable is stated by the fox and not presented as a separate ending, as is common in many Aesop collections. Beginning with the sour grapes, Lowry's charming fox then flatters a crow to get some cheese and tricks a goat into helping him out of a well. I found the final fable and ending a bit less successful than the first 3 fables -- the fox's friends invite him over and then return a bad turn.

Rec
Barbara
Cleverly blending four classic fables from Aesop into one seamless story showing the untrustworthiness of the wily fox, the author shows him getting what he deserves in the end after he plays one too many tricks on those around him. The author explains each story's moral in the back matter. The gouache and pencil illustrations are particularly appealing and fit the fables perfectly. Young readers will smile at the fox's frustration as he frustratedly tries to enjoy stew poured into a narrow-neck ...more
Sarah VanDyke
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it incorporates four fables into one story. The author also makes the morals and themes obvious. The fables are from a person named Aesop. Without reading the author's note, I would not have known this. I believe a study or introduction about Aesop would be beneficial. I could use this book to introduce fables and their purpose. Students could create this own fable after reading the story. I would recommend this book because it can be used in many ways and can be used f ...more
Kelly Tannhauser
This book is four fables woven together in a form of morals. Each of the stories has a different moral and they all intertwine in the end. The main character, Fox, and supporting characters, Crow, Goat, and the stork. Through different encounters amongst each animal the story presents different fable and a final moral at the end. Its illustrations are simple watercolors. I think it would be a good book for the classroom because it has important morals that are good for everyone to hear and defin ...more
Linda
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
This story takes four tales from Aesop and turns them into a single day in the life of fox. In doing so it leaves out a lot from the original. The message also seems to blur from fox getting what he deserved for his bad behavior to fox just really having a bad day. I do not think I will use this version in my classroom. The original is better.
Susan
Interweaving four classic fables: The Fox and the Grapes, The Fox and the Crow, The Fox and the Goat and The Fox and the Stork we see fox both as the trickster he is and getting his comeuppance in this busy day. An interesting look at the role of the fox in Aesop’s fables and a great way to stimulate discussion during a unit on fables.

Great Books
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
Because one fable is never enough, this collection of four familiar fables is woven together into one story. Though the fox tricks the crow and goat early on, the stork helps them outwit the fox in the end. Reviewer 11.
Kelly
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are good, the colors are fairly muted, and there are several clever and quirky flourishes I picked out in my first reading. I quite liked the type (McKracken.) The stories themselves are familiar and well-portrayed for a young audience.
Mary Parker
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a fantastic combination of four separate fables. Following the story of a tricky little fox, this book has a not so happy ending for him. After he tricked the goat, stork, and crow, they finally get their own form of revenge on Mr. Fox.
Beth Kakuma-Depew
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
very successful story that integrates four fables into one picture book. The last one, about the Fox and the Heron was a bit problematic, because my kids has never seen a heron drink, and also because the moral, One Bad Turn Deserves Another, is not very, um, nice?
Deana
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bought as a Christmas gift for a 5 year old nephew who loves foxes. It's told as a single story, but incorporates four of Aesops fables as the story moves along, so it's a good introduction to Aesop. Additionally, the artwork is quite nice!
Edward Sullivan
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Four Aesop fables weaved together into a story in which the fox is outfoxed.
Melissa
Four fables woven together nicely into one longer story, with fox getting a satisfying bit of comeuppance at the end. Did you see the book of "Anansi Tales" on his bookcase? :)
Patricia Bandre
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Cleverly incorporates 4 "fox fables" into one, cohesive story.
Karen Arendt
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Blends together four of aesop's fables: Fox and the goat, Fox and the crow, Fox and the stork, and Fox and grapes.
Jodie
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I was expecting the book to be divided into 4 chapters, but the author combined the 4 fables into 1 story.
Kifflie
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a clever way of interweaving several fables into one narrative. The artwork is adequate but not particularly memorable.
Regina Ajiboye
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a great way to teach morals. Teaching children the way you treat others it will eventually back fire. So treat people the way you would love to be treated.
Tracie
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_books
Author Amy Lowry neatly weaves four of Aesop's famous fables into a single story about a full-of-swagger fox who gets outfoxed.
Donalyn
Interesting combination of 4 Aesop Fox fables.
Emily