Start by marking “How David Met Sarah ” as Want to Read:
How David Met Sarah

How David Met Sarah

(David #1)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
David is a young man who works in a mailroom and lives with his parents. When a young woman named Sarah moves to his neighborhood and begins to attend his church, David believes she's the girl of his dreams. First, however, he has to figure out how to meet her, in spite of the challenges his carefully structured world contains. Reading specialists, special education teache ...more
Paperback, Kindle and Nook available, too, 95 pages
Published October 1st 2011 by eFitzgerald Publishing (first published September 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How David Met Sarah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How David Met Sarah

Lenore Webb
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Today is the day I need my girlfriend Anne Kelleher here. She is an amazing woman who can help me gain my center of balance in just a few words. I have enjoyed our chats and sharing together. Currently I am the lucky one on the receiving end. Anne shared her latest book with me and for me to share.

You see Anne normally writes fantasy. But she has reached out to so we can share his amazing viewpoints and life. It is refreshing to have not only a new view but to also know his loving attitude. "Ho
Carol
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-read
One morning as David has breakfast at his 'usual spot' (a restaurant near his bus stop), he notices a young woman sitting at the counter. To be more exact, he sees a thick red braid trailing down her back. And he is intrigued. Since his previous girlfriend moved away, he has missed having someone so special just holding hands could be a slice of heaven. He does catch a better look at her as he hurries to his bus and he knows she's watching him, too. So as he heads off to work, his mind gets busy ...more
Pamela
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"How David met Sarah" is a fantastic read. Author Annie Kelleher has reached out to an under-recognized and overlooked group. She has combined the passion of a sister's heart with all her amazing gifts as a storyteller and writer. Here is a book with a thoroughly adult storyline written at grade school (3rd grade) level. It will speak to the hearts of the many developmentally delayed who have had no written voice before.
This is a powerful and important moment crafted with love and grace. I knew
Wanda
this is a free book from goodreads first reads.
How David Met Sarah is a great book and I gave it 5 stars.
This is a story about David who is 24 and has Down's Syndrome. It is written at about a 3rd grade level and is a quick read.
I would recommend to everyone.

Summary: "Written from the point of view of the young man with Down Syndrome, this book has been endorsed by the National Down Syndrome Society and has been praised not only for its accessiblity, but also for the insights it offers into t
Heather
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I ran across this title when I was looking for books to read with my students and their parents. (I am a teacher of students with varying disabilities.) I fell in love with the characters, and knowing that Anne wrote this for her brother made it even more amazing to me. It's written at about a third grade level which is perfect for my students, and it tackles some very real young adult topics. (theft, love, anxiety, getting lost, problem solving...) I am anxious to read her next "David" book.
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through the first reads program and I'm so glad I did. It isn't a book I would have heard of otherwise. I definitely think everyone should read it. The book is easy to read in one sitting, but it will make you think for awhile after you finish it. Parts of this book broke my heart, while others made me smile. I'm sure this is a book I will read again, and I will definitely be checking out the next book in this series when it is available.
Karen Beck
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Goodreads.
This is an enchanting story of a young man with special needs. It is a beautiful commentary on his triumphs and struggles with life. All to ofte people with special needs are marginalized-this book illustrates how amazing their lives can be when surrounded by people who care.
I am excited to read the sequel and am cheering for David!
Cindy
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from a Goodreads give away. I am very happy a romance story was written about people who have disabilites. they have real feelings also. I could feel the pain of David, who feel in love with a shy Sarah, then we find out she is autistic. I am now going to have to look for book 2.
Tamera Westhoff
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I completely loved it! It was simple to read, so I really felt like David! I wondered right along with him as to what was going on. I felt that giddy first love feeling. So sweet! I'm looking forward to reading the next book!
Debra Morris
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway. Thanks so much!!! I genuinely enjoyed the story as David makes his way through the world. I also liked the way the author captured the different ways people respond to David. Very moving and special!
Elizabeth
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned
A very Heart warming story for Families and loved ones who take care of a developmental disabled child. A great love story . I won this book on Good reads. Ty for sharing .
Angela Holtz
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I've been dying to review this one, but Anne and I kept missing each other. So when she posted it was free for the holiday I grabbed it up! I'm really glad I did.

The synopsis says "heartwarming" and it really is. David works in the mailroom of a large company and he loves his job delivering the mail. Everyday before work he stops at a diner and gets an egg sandwich. He has tons of friends. Everything is going great until he meets Sarah. Not that this is a bad thing, on t
Trish
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a wonderful short novel about a young man named David, a young man with Down syndrome, who meets Sarah, a young woman with autism. It is written both for and about adults with developmental disabilities. Although it is written to be understood by someone with an intellectual disability, I would highly recommend it to anyone as an enjoyable and eye-opening read.

This book doesn't just shows us David's interest in meeting someone to love, but it also gives a picture into many of the things
Lisa
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, favorites
What an amazing and heartwarming story! This book is truly unique and groundbreaking. Anne Kelleher is the voice for many developmentally delayed people that otherwise have no voice. She does a fantastic job by giving the reader a better understanding of the daily challenges, struggles and thinking process as the reader gets to view the world from a very different perspective...thru David's eyes.

Written at a third grade level, yet readers of all ages will enjoy. I truly enjoyed this book and lo
Annmarie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
A delightful little read that shows the perspective of a special needs boy who is coming of age and looking for the girl of his dreams. Recommended for everyone who has intellectually challenged people in their lives, even in the smallest way. People may think that children with special needs have the best part of their lives during their school years when there is so much attention for them. This book shows the richness of life that can be developed and with a nod to the dedicated people who he ...more
Patrice Fitzgerald
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tremendously insightful story that was inspired by this established author's own brother, who has Down syndrome.

While the language is simple, the book is of interest to anyone who shares the main character's yearning for a life that includes work, family, and love. Elegant and full of pathos, "How David Met Sarah" bridges a gap between those who are developmentally disabled and those not so challenged.

Read it for yourself or buy it for a loved one who needs a simpler reading level.
Teresa
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. How David met Sarah is a story about David, an adult with Down Syndrome. After reading just a little of it, I realized I wanted to read it to my son who also has Down Syndrome. It shows what the world is like for a person with developmental delays. We see David's fears, his joys, the discrimination he endures and his understanding of life. I applaud Anne Kelleher for so beautifully telling David's story.
Diane
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anne Kelleher gets it. She gets special needs young adults and their journey. I highly recommend this book to anyone who works with regular and special needs kids. Written at a 3rd grade reading level but about adult situations; job issues, falling in love and family. One in a series about David, who is based on the author's brother.
Grandia-est
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for everyone!

The spirit behind this series is really touching. The author wrote this series for her little brother who was born with the Downs.

If you support this book and the story behind it, please check the videos on Youtube and like it! I am already a fan of it :)))

Michelle Khzouz
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Goodreads for the First Reads copy!! Wonderful heartfelt story that reminds us of the daily job life has to offer! David is inspiring and his family shows unconditional love still exists!!! Thank you for sharing your story David!
Rebecca
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
With having a son with a learning disability I thought this was a well written story from the David's view.
Tyrnesha
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good book. I enjoyed reading the book from David's. point of view. This was a quick and easy read that was very enjoyable!
Kim
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annie did it again - a great book. I loved the sweet story. Of course it had its share of bad people too. I can't wait for the next David book. It was great to see the world through David's eyes.
Anne-Kathrine
Jul 10, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-on-kindle
On kindle
Jan
Jun 02, 2012
Anne Kelleher
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Angela
  • Everyone Else's Parents Said Yes
  • Unconventional
  • This Time You Lose
  • My Immortal
  • Eirelan (Saga of the Latter-Day Celts #1)
  • Boleto
  • My Mother Got Married (and other disasters)
  • Ties That Bind
  • Where Am I Wearing?: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People That Make Our Clothes
  • The Meanwhile Adventures
  • The Chrysanthemums
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Books 1-5 + DIY + Movie Diary
  • Day for Night
Born and raised at the South Jersey shore, Anne holds a BA from Johns Hopkins University in Medieval Studies and has studied English language and literature at the University of Connecticut and Storytelling and Oral Traditions at the Institute for Graduate Studies. The mother of four, Anne now resides in Connecticut and Hawaii. Find out more at www.annekelleher.net.

David (2 books)
  • When David was Surprised (David, #2)